NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Optima yellow top batteries

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optima yellow top batteries
    Posted: September-14-2011 at 9:56pm
I have 0 experience on these batteries, are pretty expensive down here and the guys have started installing them on the fancy wakeboats (expensive boat needs expensive batterie theory I guess)

A guy installed a yellow top, described as a deep cycle and starting, now he's installing the second, I wanted to know if the "non deep cycle policy" still applies on the Optimas or this are good.

or Do I scrap the yellow and install dual reds or blue?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

I have 0 experience on these batteries, are pretty expensive down here and the guys have started installing them on the fancy wakeboats (expensive boat needs expensive batterie theory I guess)

Yup, I feel you are correct that it's a bling boat thing. Bling needs the bling battery!! I wonder what MC puts in their X-Star??

A guy installed a yellow top, described as a deep cycle and starting, now he's installing the second, I wanted to know if the "non deep cycle policy" still applies on the Optimas or this are good.

The same principle applies to the Optima and it's the reason they make the 3 types - starting, combination start/deep and then the deep cycle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 10:31pm
Pete thanks for answering.
If I got it right they state on their site the yellow is the combination one ("DEEP CYCLING & CRANKING"), would 2 of those make the job? Can I add a similar size red for starting? or need to go with 2 red or blue?

They cost around U$D500 down here... I hate to see that much money wasted...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 11:34pm
There are dual purpose blue tops as well. What would the purpose of 2 cranking batteries be?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2011 at 11:46pm
HW, I think the blue tops are not available in Argentina. So it's either red or yellow.
I wanted to avoid the guy opening the hatch for switching batteries.
It's my understanding that a good starting battery can do the trick of both cranking and feeding services (on sport boats) while the deep cycle just wont cut it for cranking in the not so long run. bigger boats or cruisers are a different story though.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 12:12pm

It's my understanding that a good starting battery can do the trick of both cranking and feeding services (on sport boats) while the deep cycle just wont cut it for cranking in the not so long run.

I've had a couple Dual Purpose yellows and blues and they've all served me well. I don't know anyone that has used a Red for stereos, etc.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 12:30pm
Some (and I dunno whch color) have only large battery cable connections, some have an additional small accesory post with wing nuts. Maybe the only real difference.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 12:34pm
We use a duel purpose battery on the toon. Works well, we go 15-30 min anchor and party with 1600 watt amp and a 10in sub for HOURS, pack up and go back to the dock. It's not left me stranded yet but I do carry an extra cranking battery just in case!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 1:13pm
It is has been a while since I read up on these batterys (maybe the 4 years that I have had mine in the boat).. so my info maybe dated but the yellow ones used to differ from the dual purpose blue ones basically only in color and in the location and size of the wingnut type connections. The yellow batteries had the secondary connections in the front instead of the top for the blue ones, and internally they were not capable of carrying as much load as the ones on the top of the blue ones. This shouldn’t be an issue if you use the main posts to connect any and all substancial loads. I would just get him another yellow. I am still very happy with my dual purpose blue ones I have never run them down with the stereo to the point where I wasn’t able to start the boat…   and that’s with a lot of time and a fair amount of stereo
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 1:19pm
I suggest going to autozone and buying a battery. While you are there you can buy some yellow spray paint and masking tape.

Mask off the top of the battery and paint it yellow. Then take a $100 bill and look at it because that is what you just saved.

I see no added value over a optima when a battery that costs much less achieves the same goal.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 1:41pm
Some people would say a bayliner does the same thing as a correctcraft..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 2:03pm
So, some people say the cucumbers taste better pickled.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2011 at 6:16pm
What Up Lucho!

Thought I had read that when running more then 1 battery, it was best if they were all the same type/age/etc??

T2,

In my experience you may only need 1 can of paint but you will need several conventional batteries. Had dual optimas in my Suburban that lasted 8yrs with quite a bit of Audio/Visual gear to support, with the boat running a single battery pushing quite a bit of stereo, conventional battery only lasted 2 seasons, the optima still working fine through it's 5th season. Now, at $500 a crack, I would opt for the rattle can, lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic