NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

World Record Attempt This Weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Record Attempt This Weekend
    Posted: September-16-2011 at 2:48pm
Hey all,

Wanted to share a little fun...

This Sunday I'm invited to ski in a world record pyramid attempt! The plan is to try FIVE 4-highs behind one boat (60 people)

If that goes well, we'll try 6 behind one boat (72 people)

Main tow boat is a 22ft dyna-ski with triple 250HO Etecs. This boat will NOT pull us all off the dock so we will be doing a tandem boat pull. One boat in front of the other...once we get off the dock the front boat releases from the rear boat and gets the heck outta the way. Should be fun :)

Video of current record
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 2:52pm
GOOD LUCK !!!!

What a great time. Wish I could be there to see it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 2:59pm
Since when are they letting Iowa teams in? LOL.

I don't think there is a 22'. I know he has a 24' flat top he is thinking of putting 4 engines on though. You are probably thinking of the more common 20'.

How far behind the boat will you be?

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:01pm
It's dyna-ski not the dyne

They are two different makers and the ski is 22ft, the dyne is only 20ft

no idea on any info other than what boats and what time I need to show up lol
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:04pm
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:05pm
Do you believe everything you see/don't see on the internet Hollywood?

One sec, I'll get more info on this boat in a few
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:14pm
Good luck from Spray Masters!

What team/who is hosting this?
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:16pm
Backwater Gamblers are hosting!

Five Seasons
Hartwick Huskies
Rockford Ski Broncs
Waterloo Waterhawks

Thanks Spray Masters!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:18pm
Take a look at what pitch props they put on there for that too.

A little rivalry there, nice. Who were the 4 teams from last time?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:19pm
Doing it on the Rock River at Backwater's home site. Not sure about the jump, and they run 15pitch props on the triple...which is usually the standard in show skiing
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:23pm
Man that is awesome I would love to be apart of that seems like a good group good luck
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:28pm
From the boat drivers daughter/show director

"the triple rig?

it's a 22ft dyna-ski with triple evinrude 250s. "
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:32pm
I think someone might be a little off. Nevertheless, take pics and good luck to you all!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:33pm
Boat is brand new this year. It was at think tank in WI. Were you there? It's 22ft, I have touched it. It was beautiful. Noticeably bigger than the other boats. Good friends with Brint (the driver)

I can measure it and take pics this wknd if you want me to ;)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

I can measure it and take pics this wknd if you want me to

Yikes
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:45pm
Hollywood I stand corrected. I emailed dynaski.

"t is 20' 1" long. The running surface is about 8" longer than the older style boats."

Sorry, always adding length to things... Muhhaha
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:48pm
Well if it's a brand new boat then that explains it. I've never been to a think tank. Perhaps this is the 24' shortened? The beam on the 24' is a 1' wider than the 20'.

Edit: bow down...

They basically pushed the transom back, the "fins" on the sides are still the longest part of the boat.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 3:53pm
I'll talk to backwater more Sunday to verify. So weird though cuz the boat seems so much bigger than the 20s.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 4:03pm
Mike,
Go for it and good luck on the attempt!

You mentioned another boat pulling the triple until everyone's out of the water or off the dock. Do you know what they will using for the front tow boat?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 4:06pm
The front boat will be one of their 20ft hydrodynes with twin 225 optimax mercs!

They have perfected the tandem boat pull over the years, pretty awesome to watch. I'm excited that I get to ski behind it!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

They have perfected the tandem boat pull over the years, pretty awesome to watch. I'm excited that I get to ski behind it!

Do they use a standard release like a ski rope release or is it something more HD?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 4:38pm
Long story on the tandem boat set up

The main tow boat, in this case their triple rig, has a hole on the top shell of the boat right in the nose for a large metal rectangle shaped object with a hole in it to slide into. That hole is for a pin to go up into and hold it in place. The pin is powered via a scuba tank/pressure (an engineer would be able to explain this so much better) On the other end of that rectangle chunk of metal is the rope to the lead (helper) boat. When the triple driver knows he can pull the pyramid he pushes a button, you hear a small air brake type sound, pin pops out and the front boat speeds away with the metal piece and rope in tow.

It's a pretty killer system to be honest. wish I could explain it better for you, hoping I'm getting the point across.

Long story short, NO, not your standard quick release :)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 4:44pm
I'm awesome at paintshop

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 4:44pm
Mike,
Got it - thanks! As an engineer I understand and you did a good job explaining the device. It's a pneumatically operated cylinder that pulls the pin so the thimble or clevis on the end of the tow rope is released.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 4:45pm
Pete's got it! haha glad I was close enough! :)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 5:03pm
As long as you don't hook it to the lifting rings, you know those are just for lifting and not horizontal stresses, right?   
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 5:05pm
I wouldn't be surprised if we broke some stuff Sunday!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,
Got it - thanks! As an engineer I understand and you did a good job explaining the device. It's a pneumatically operated cylinder that pulls the pin so the thimble or clevis on the end of the tow rope is released.

With an ultra high end flux capacitor.
Doug
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 5:06pm
Weird, their old boats are Tom Miller Dynes with Mercurys.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2011 at 5:08pm
Yea Hollywood, they finally went the correct route with their new one. They bought the evinrudes outright, but are still sponsored by their Mercury dealer. I thiink their Merc dealer sells Rude too though...

Either way, slowly but surely they will convert to all Rude I'm sure.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic