NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

D Day on the knees

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D Day on the knees
    Posted: September-20-2011 at 10:24am
Any advice on replacement surgery. I am a big chicken but decision time is Thursday. Should I do one at a time,or both?. Any other suggestions Euflexa now the doc says replacement is my last option. The pain in the right one is constant, and getting intollerable.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 12:26pm
Doing both at the same time sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 6:37pm
Kevin, what's your definition of a big chicken? If you're simply anxious about procedures but can deal well w/ pain maybe both at the same time is a better choice. Everyone will have differing opinions on this but a good orthopod will give you solid advice (pros & cons) on this choice.
       The advantages of simultaneous replacement are these: anesthesia & hospitalization once. Coming back into the hospital again for a second procedure exposes you once again to complications assoc. w/ hospitalization (infections, drug events, etc.) Likewise for the anesthesia. Coronary and neurologic events do happen w/ anesthesia. If you do ok w/ the first incidence of anesthesia you probably will w/ the second but there are no guarantees. Give me the choice of facing the risks (even though they are limited) once or twice and I'll always choose once. Also, you shouldn't be in the hospital significantly longer having both done simultaneously than just having one done.
      You probably already know this but whatever you do, do it at a center that does alot of knee replacements and is highly rated. That goes for the doc too. Choose an orthopod who specializes in and does ALOT of knees. And DO NOT hesitate to ask questions!

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 7:30pm
I always figure doing both at the same time will keep my dumbarse from trying to get back up to speed on too aggressive at path. I figure I wouldnt have a choice if I did them both but with one good one you never know what kinda trouble I would get myself into.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 7:50pm
Maybe a dumb question but are BOTH failing you?
hasbeenskier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 8:52pm
My brother in law had to make the same decision but with his hips while in school full time. He is a leukemia survivor, but the treatments left the tops of his femurs brittle which started to break off to the point he could not walk. At first they said he was too young for the procedure, but new advances in technology made it possible for him to have it done at 20. He did both at the same time, only missed one semester of school, and was riding a bicycle 3 weeks after surgery! He still snowboards, (Burton was one of his Make-A-Wish sponsors and continues to send him gear to this day) and I had one afternoon with him this summer and almost got him up on the wakeboard.

For all the reasons Terp mentioned above and my bro's experience I would say jump in with both feet!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 8:58pm
Hey Keegan, do you happen to know the manufacturer of the replacements? How long ago was the surgery performed? I'm shopping "Hips" right now. The docs say I need both done, so I am starting the learning process.. I want decent parts to go in and not ones one the recall lists....

I'm glad to see he's recovering well. That's one tough SOB !!!

Thanks
Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Hey Keegan, do you happen to know the manufacturer of the replacements? How long ago was the surgery performed? I'm shopping "Hips" right now. The docs say I need both done, so I am starting the learning process.. I want decent parts to go in and not ones one the recall lists....

Thanks
Moj'

Dave I will look into the manufacturer for you. It was done 4 years ago at UNC-Chapel Hill.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

For all the reasons Terp mentioned above and my bro's experience I would say jump in with both feet!

Or hobble as the case may be
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 10:19pm
The left is in worse shape but in the last few months the pain in the right has become unbearable. The big chicken part concerns throwing away my original equipment and becoming bionic. One or two will be the doctor Or the insurance co's choice. It is a bit longer rcovery than a single but then only go through it once. Should know more Thursday.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2011 at 10:33pm
age?
comorbidities?
etiology?

not to get too medical, but all of these, and many more, are factors. Either way will suck and rehab will suck worse. Not having these answers, I'd probably go with one at a time. You're weakest knee is probably working your strong knee moreso than normal so fixing the weak one will probably indirectly benefit the other. Good luck either way.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 9:58am
I got age (55), the original left was snowmobile jump with a rough landing ( left knee did some twisting) causing ACL, later torn Meniscus, had othroscopic 4 times over a 30 year period.
right has been a victim of favoring and snow ski ACL recently torn meniscus two operations to date. Both are loaded with arthritis.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 10:08am
we use to talk about a set of new ski's, now were talking about new knees, my body hurts, getting old
"the things you own will start to own you"
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 10:39am
Those things work kind of like a roller cam, will he need to add zinc to his diet for proper lubrication? What is the best brand?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

I got age (55), the original left was snowmobile jump with a rough landing ( left knee did some twisting) causing ACL, later torn Meniscus, had othroscopic 4 times over a 30 year period.
right has been a victim of favoring and snow ski ACL recently torn meniscus two operations to date. Both are loaded with arthritis.

Kevin, you figured out the etiology part. Comorbidities would be other diseases/disorders such as diabetes, coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, hypertension, etc. etc. You will need a general medical clearance from your internist before the surgery. Just to ensure any medical problems you do have are under proper control. If any flags are raised during that process you may have to undergo additional testing/treatments prior to getting cleared for the knee replacement(s).

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Keeganino Keeganino wrote:

Thanks
Moj'

Dave I will look into the manufacturer for you. It was done 4 years ago at UNC-Chapel Hill.

I was wrong on both counts here. It was 5 years ago and the procedure was done at Duke. Still waiting on the brand and the Doctor's name. From what my sister said, how well it works and how long it lasts has a lot to do with the Dr installing them. Will get back as soon as I get the details.

1973 Skier
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 7:14pm
Cool.. I'm very interested to know Keegan, so I can pass them through my doctor.. I have heard nightmare stories about bad hardware that later gets recalled.....

Thanks
Dave
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2011 at 7:17pm

Cool.. I'm very interested to know Keegan, so I can pass them through my doctor.. I have heard nightmare stories about bad hardware that later gets recalled.....

Thanks
Dave

Hope to get answers by this evening. I cannot imagine having a recall on something inside my body! That is scary.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 10:21am
is it a University hospital where all those hot 20 year old girl MD college students watch the procedure and stare at your junk?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 10:25am
Kevin,
When I spotted the title of this thread, my first thought was it was a HW or CQ thread!!

Good luck with the procedure. My best to you and hoping it's successful.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 10:26am
No just a city hospital with nurses that look like they could have played for Germany or Russia in the olympics of the 60's. The operating room was used in those old Frankenstein movies.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 11:22am
ONE AT A TIME. Call my wife. She's had her left knee done twice because the domb a** Dr put the WRONG size parts in the first time. Now her Rt.knee needs to be replaced and shes scared to death. They make knee replacements in male & female now and in different sizes.
I've got significant arthritis and the ortho Dr says I've got a knee replacement in the future. For now when it gets REAL painful I get shot up and it helps for months.
Seriously my wife is a nurse and a patient and she has a lot of insite. If you would like to talk to her shoot me an e mail with your phone no and I'll give you a call after work.    
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 12:09pm
sometimes your better off not knowing, i always wonder if you rip one on the table if they joke about and what they say.
Pete's reaction, very professional, step back and lets be adults here, it is a normal bodily funtion when gastric juice is mixed with fresh air.
Erics reaction, wtf did that guy eat lastnite, he needs to take a sht
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

sometimes your better off not knowing, i always wonder if you rip one on the table if they joke about and what they say.
Pete's reaction, very professional, step back and lets be adults here, it is a normal bodily funtion when gastric juice is mixed with fresh air.
Erics reaction, wtf did that guy eat lastnite, he needs to take a sht

My Dad is a surgeon and yes he will laugh at you while listening to Dinah Mo Hum by Zappa on the stereo. He loves getting a rise out of the staff because most of the guys in the field are so stuffy and uptight. His staff loves him.

1973 Skier
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 8:07pm
Ok here'e the update, The doctor started with it might be time to do them both but I told him the left (which is more deteriorated) is fine with the Euflexa shots and the right is really the one with an issue. He sent me for a new series of xrays for the right and since it has been 6 years since the last othroscopic and the damage not he as bad compared to the left I made a case for another othroscopic. This is great because those are not that big a deal and I can put off replacements (hopefully) for a couple more years.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2011 at 10:56pm
Kevin,
Thats realy good news. I won't go into all my medical crap but no one, not the best doctors know you as good as YOU know YOU. The more you know about your situation the better. After all your the one who has to endure the pain.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2011 at 2:19pm
One thing to consider in putting it off a couple years is that you also could be putting off a better quality of life for a couple years. My wife had her left hip replaced at 38. She will need the right one done. We figured two years after the first. She is going on 6 years this winter and has a couple more left, at least. She says frequently that getting the first one done was the best thing she ever did. She rides horses, works out daily, wakesurfs, hikes, and anything else she wants to do. All were impossible to do without crippling pain prior.
I think given the choice, I would do it sooner than later. You never know when the bus is going to come.
Additionally, what if your insurance coverage changes by the time you get around to it? That would be a disaster. I think Mrs Wakeslayer's hip was like $40k.
Good luck, whatever you do.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2011 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

One thing to consider in putting it off a couple years is that you also could be putting off a better quality of life for a couple years. My wife had her left hip replaced at 38. She will need the right one done. We figured two years after the first. She is going on 6 years this winter and has a couple more left, at least. She says frequently that getting the first one done was the best thing she ever did. She rides horses, works out daily, wakesurfs, hikes, and anything else she wants to do. All were impossible to do without crippling pain prior.
I think given the choice, I would do it sooner than later. You never know when the bus is going to come.
Additionally, what if your insurance coverage changes by the time you get around to it? That would be a disaster. I think Mrs Wakeslayer's hip was like $40k.
Good luck, whatever you do.

No doubt the insurance company dictates which procedure and when. that being said every year technology gets better and from what I've heard replacing replacements is where it gets ugly. Since I'm only 55 I should wear out a set before I go to the big slalom course in the sky.
Shots have helped but are no lomger working on the right. So like I mentioned earlier if I can get a couple more years out of OEM parts I'm goin for the othroscopic. Thanks for the replies.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 10:37am
Finally after what seemed like forever (two months) I go under today. We were able to put off replacements and just going to clean up the right knee. Funny thing is the pain has been excrutiating for a couple of months and this last week while putting stuff away and wrapping up some projects it has been tolerable.
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 12:54pm
Good luck and a speedy recovery!

1973 Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic