Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

weight of boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jumpseat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jumpseat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weight of boat
    Posted: September-27-2011 at 5:12pm
Can anyone tell me the weight of a 1985 18.6 foot correct craft bass boat with a 1986 150 mercury on it. I am buying a new vehicle and would like to find out the samllest vehicle I can buy to tow it .
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 5:19pm
Hollywood has a nice bass nautique I see according to his avatar ;)

Here's something I found thanks to Google

The 1986, Bass Nautique is a 17.58 foot outboard boat. The weight of the boat is 1160 lbs. which does not include passengers, aftermarket boating accessories, or fuel. The max rated horsepower of this boat, as listed by the manufacturer, (according to records we have) is 150 hp

Motor is probably in the 375# range
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 5:36pm
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 6:47pm
Would imagine that is just the hull weight in the brochure, you need to add motor and trailer as well.

1,500 Boat
400 Motor (2 stroke)
700 Trailer (guess)
2,600 Total
jumpseat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jumpseat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2011 at 8:13pm
Thanks for the feedback. I meant to say I am buying a new vehicle and wanted to see what is the smallest car, suv, truck I can buy to tow it.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2011 at 3:11am
to better understand your question- why do you want the smallest?
This is the life
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 3:32am
I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. Much of the decision will undoubtedly be based on your vehicle preferences, driving style, and driving skill. Nothing personal with those who choose to drive T- aholes, Excretions and the like, but I prefer something that can pull more than .9 Gs on a skid pad with the shiny side up, as well as a trailer. I prefer that it doesn't keep a supertanker busy making middle east shuttle runs either. Let's save the gas for the CCs. I pull all of my boats and other trailers with a Saturn Ion. I don't exceed #3000 pounds pulling though. If you choose a small car I recommend a manual transmission, the weak link is usually the weeny trans they come with. Come to think of it its not just small cars, my friend burned out his Pilot trans pulling an antique jeep from Des Moines to Chicago on an aluminum trailer. It was well below the rated capacity. I will see how the Ion holds up pulling big trailers. It only has 136,000 miles on it now with no problems yet, so the jury is still out.
Good lick.
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 2:40am
1. You have GOT to be kidding me with the Ion towing something...I can't begin to imagine how many levels of wrong that is...

2. At the end of your post, you wrote "good lick"...and that is just too darn funny.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 5:49am
Kidding, why? It tows the Mustang and I can almost forget its behind me. I bought my current runabout in Grand Bend KS and towed it to Chicago where I restored it, then to Manni Waters with it. If you were in town last week you would have seen my 'toon on Bill Dietz's trailer at Rest Lake behind the Ion. I took it out there and towed it to storage in Mercer. Towing cuts the mileage down a bit, from 35 to just over 24 with the runabout, less I'm sure with the 'toon behind it, and a little under 20 with a 7X12 enclosed trailer I used to use to move my daughters in and out of college dorms and apartments. Why would this surprise you?

Cost of driving my Ion 135,000 miles (current mileage) at $3.50 l gallon = $13,499

Cost of driving my wife's old Jeep Grand Cherokee 135,000 miles @ $3.50 = $31,400

_That's why we traded that Jeep pig for an Escape for my wife (24-27 on the highway)

The Ion put $18,000 in my pocket over the Grand Cherokee, or the typical SUV or PU, that didn't go to the middle east or the spillmasters at Exxon and BP. Instead I spent it on boats, motorcycles, antique cars dinner out with the wife and the like. Pretty good exchange, especially since I like driving something that is nimble and fun to drive much more than a top heavy phat box (yawn).
I sold my last Saturn at 224,000 because the A/C failed. That car saved $29,866 over driving the Jeep at today's prices. Put that in your portfolio.
And that's why I'm not kidding.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 12:43pm
I'm guessing you've never had to stop that very quickly since your posting.   The lawyers and insurance copanies will get all the money your saving on gas when you do.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 1:13pm
Ha ha ha, sure they will.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

I'm guessing you've never had to stop that very quickly since your posting.   The lawyers and insurance copanies will get all the money your saving on gas when you do.

I have this feeling this is why most states now require brakes on trailers over 1000lbs.!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 3:36pm
Not a bad idea either! Regardless of what you tow with, your stopping distance increases. Some don't have the skills to deal with that. My opinion is that you should only drive a combo you are comfortable with. If you follow the advice of the TV commercials you could start to believe that you need a Hemi (not a real Hemi at all, just a trademark name for their engines, just like Iforce or ecoboost) to pull a Radio Flyer. I'm not looking for an argument, its just what I do.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 4:40pm
Quote: "Not a bad idea either! Regardless of what you tow with, your stopping distance increases. Some don't have the skills to deal with that. My opinion is that you should only drive a combo you are comfortable with."

Its not about skills or comfort level, its about physics, and that towing combination is simply dangerous. Send a copy of this topic to your insurance underwriters, and see what they say about your "savings"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by 65 'cuda 65 'cuda wrote:

Its not about skills or comfort level, its about physics, and that towing combination is simply dangerous. Send a copy of this topic to your insurance underwriters, and see what they say about your "savings"

Gary,
If John has his vehicle registered to his address in Wisconsin, He doesn't need insurance to drive it!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 6:15pm
Physics are what you are left with after skill is exhausted. Let's see how physics alone drive in rush hour on the interstate. Hmmm, they don't do they. A vehicle needs a driver constantly interpreting the road conditions for traffic, hazards, tire adhesion, actions of others and many other conditions. A winning race driver, skier, boarder, pilot, or gravity games contestant doesn't win because his physics are better, it is skill.   I spent more than 15 years as a traffic crash investigator in addition to my other duties and have more than 3,000,000 miles without a chargeable crash. That includes driving tractor trailers, police pursuits, motorcycles, and cars. If you want to talk about potentially dangerous vehicles look at the stopping distance of a 80,000 pound tractor trailer. My Ion stops much faster than they do, even with the heaviest trailer I have ever towed. If you think that sounds hairy think about the unbaffled tractor trailer tanker. When you apply the brakes they initially start to overcome the inertial of the vehicle until about 2-3 seconds into the event when 45,000 pounds of liquid slam into the front bulkhead. Crashes are caused by driver error, and occasionally mechanical failure. Physics are what the driver must be aware of to avoid them.
Respectfully yours,
John B.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 7:14pm
Wow, must be nice, LEO, do as I say, not as I do...
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 7:45pm
John, I too have a CDL and spend the majority of my time driving with something far heavier than a boat behind me. You a are correct about keeping an eye out and maintaining proper distance, it's been probably close to 20 years since I've had an accident. You also don't drive Austin, I see stupid stuff on a weekly basis that just makes me believe there will be something one of these days that I can't do anything about no matter what. I much prefer hauling heavy equipment in traffic in Houston bumper to bumper going 80 or in Dallas sitting still.   More capable equipment gives me a larger margin to play with when I need it, and sits at the house using no gas when I don't. I could tow my boat with any of the Ford Rangers I had in college, but moving up to a full size truck makes it so much easier. The F250 actually drives better with weight behind it than it does unloaded.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 7:55pm
John,
I'm very happy to find out your talents as a skilled driver but, there are times as mentioned it's not your driving skills that come to play - it's the other idiots out on the road!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 8:11pm
lmao, this guy that came to my shop Saturday picked up his 27.5 tri-axle boobliner in a s-10 blazer, looked like David and Goliath, i really was like WTF? and thought to myself, i would probably do the same. the biggest thing when pulling something is to unlock your converter on the hills and let the engine get in its torque curve, thats your tow switch BTW, plus going down the hills the vehicle will also brake for you, if not the engine hunts up and down when in lock-up
"the things you own will start to own you"
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 8:14pm
How so? Can you cite a law contrary to my towing.
It IS nice too, being retired from LE. It would be even nicer if I still worked at it though, and hadn't been retired on a disability after 5 surgeries trying unsuccessfully to repair the damage after an attempted arrest of some gang members dealing crack cocaine. But I wouldn't expect someone with a civilian job in a cube farm to understand the risks that LE officers face every day. Criticism is easy though, and, you can still call them when you have a problem.
And why would I care about my insurance underwriters. They agree to assume responsibility regardless of individual risks, which are minimal in this instance. Even if you are drunk with no license and injure or kill a family they are on the hook unless you are specifically excluded in the policy. That's called risk management.

Sorry if I sound angry, I'm not. I am used to it after 20 years in the business of babysitting the segment of the public that can't take care of themselves. It sounds like you're angry though. Were the police impolite to you once?
One other note. This conversation should be in off topic, if it is appropriate on this site at all. We all have opinions, but I am here to enjoy the shared hobby of Correct Crafts.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 8:19pm
and to think you never get to see the 15 minutes of tape before the Rodney King intervention lol
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 8:20pm
damn camera's
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

How so? Can you cite a law contrary to my towing.

No but new trailers in Illinois over 10000 lbs must be equipped with brakes. I just did a quick search - considering your background in law enforcement, I would think you know all the facts already. Evidently not!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 10:48pm
Cameras are good if you're a professional. Follow procedure and the law and you have nothing to worry about. Savagely beat someone and you deserve what you get.

That S10 story IS really crazy. I have never towed anything heavier than my car, at least without brakes. That is one reason a Mustang at 1,700# is a great boat for me. I love some of the others like a 2001, but it is too heavy to be comfortable with in my opinion. Also I am not knocking the pulling capability of an F250. It is a really nice truck, probably the best in my opinion. I am just a small car person.
This is a lively
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2011 at 11:38pm
man I love this place!

sure wish 79 was still around tho!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2011 at 12:48am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

And why would I care about my insurance underwriters. They agree to assume responsibility regardless of individual risks, which are minimal in this instance.

I don't buy that for one minute.

I'm sure there is a 'doing something stupid will not be covered' clause where-by the insurance company will not assume the added risk for something when the vehicle is being used against the manufacturers recommendations and WAY outside of it's capabilities.

I will chuckle, though, when I see an F-250/2500 HD truck pulling a trailer....don't those fools know they can tow the same trailer with an Ion?

Quote But I wouldn't expect someone with a civilian job in a cube farm to understand the risks that LE officers face every day.

Arrogance much?
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2011 at 1:07am
 Hmm, I don't know where you got that. Here is the law as written in the Illinois Compiled Statutes (625 ILCS 5/12-301)

Sec. 12-301. Brakes.

4. Except as provided in paragraph 4.1, every
trailer or semitrailer of a gross weight of over 3,000 pounds, when operated upon a highway must be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of, to stop and to hold such vehicle, and designed so as to be operable by the driver of the towing vehicle from its cab. Such brakes must be so designed and connected that in case of an accidental breakaway of a towed vehicle over 5,000 pounds, the brakes are automatically applied.

4.1. Every boat trailer of a gross weight of over
3,000 pounds, when operated upon a highway, must be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of, to stop, and to hold that boat trailer. The brakes must be designed to ensure that, in case of an accidental breakaway of a towed boat trailer over 5,000 pounds, the brakes are automatically applied.

As you can see, this only applies to operation on a highway. Operation on city, county, and rural roads not designated as a highway have no such restriction or almost every farm trailer would be required to have brakes.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2011 at 1:44am
What is the towing capacity on the ion? with 4 occupants?

Does an Ion have a frame?

I have never seen one tow anything.

I think common sense says towing a boat with an Ion is not a good idea.

oh and my Yukon friggin rocks!

While growing up we had an 80 toyota celica and it was equipped with a hitch and towed a Cruisers Rally Sport 15 1/2 ft outboard with 100 horse johnson and did not have any trouble.
This is the life
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2011 at 2:08am
Yea, you say your Yukon rocks, but which would you choose:

A- Keep your Yukon and sell your CC

Or

B- Keep your CC and trade your Yukon for a rusty beige Camry with a soccer mom sticker and a child seat.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic