Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chrissn2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Issue
    Posted: September-29-2011 at 12:18am
Hey Guys, you were a great help with my last issue, so on to my most recent problem! I replaced the battery and starter relay and the engine fires up fine. However, upon firing it immediately dies. It seems that there is no fuel getting to the engine. I've used starter fluid and the engine will run as long as that lasts, but once it's gone, the engine cuts out. What do you think? Thanks in advance!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 1:43am
Did this start when you replaced the starter relay? Does it happen when you release the key? If so you most likely have the small wire on the wrong post.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 1:20pm
Yes and yes...so I should change the small wire to the other post on the relay? seems easy enough, thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 1:32pm
If it runs fine for a short time on starting fluid (after releasing the key) then the relay is probably not the problem. Do check that you have it wired correctly though. The small wire should be on the "S" post.

Have you verified that you are not getting any fuel to the carburetor, or are you just guessing that is the case?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 6:18pm
I'm guessing, but I've never had any problems outside of the battery and relay with this boat. It has about 440 hours on it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2011 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Chrissn2001 Chrissn2001 wrote:

I'm guessing

A good first step would be to verify what the failure mode is... then we can proceed with troubleshooting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 12:11pm
I checked the relay and the wires are on correctly...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 12:30pm

It seems that there is no fuel getting to the engine.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Have you verified that you are not getting any fuel to the carburetor, or are you just guessing that is the case?

Im guessing

In case it wasnt clear, you need to verify your fuel supply first.

I would not expect the connections at the relay to cause the symptoms youre describing.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 1:22pm
I am assuming your boat is carbureted. Take the flame arrestor off, turn the key over and have someone hit the throttle while you are looking in, you should see fuel squirt down the barrels. If you dont, youve got a fuel problem. After that you could try to unhook the fuel line that goes from the filter to the pump and run it into a five gallon gas can. If that still doesnt work that means its fuel pump or carb related.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Take the flame arrestor off, turn the key over and have someone hit the throttle while you are looking in, you should see fuel squirt down the barrels.

No need to crank the engine over to get a good stream of fuel out of the accelerator pump. Sticking your head over there while cranking is a great way to catch a backfire in the face!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 3:11pm
OK....CRANK-IT...

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 4:08pm
well you dont have stick your nose down it. Im just saying look. I would at least crank it over a few times to make sure the bowl is full and then stop cranking and hit the throttle. I guess you wouldnt have to do them at the same time.

Plus no eyebrows makes you faster.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 4:23pm
Tim is just speaking from experience. He'd sure hate to see another man ruin a fresh eyebrow wax.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Tim is just speaking from experience. He'd sure hate to see another man ruin a fresh eyebrow wax.

True story.

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2011 at 4:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic