Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

water intake

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water intake
    Posted: March-21-2004 at 10:37am
My boat had two water intakes(thru hulls).Do they all?
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2004 at 11:05am
one drain and one pickup on all of mine.

do both pickups look like the same vintage?
boatnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2004 at 8:13pm
Yes. And there was a nice loop of hose connecting the two and there was a Y fitting and just one line to the engine.
nauti girl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nauti girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2004 at 4:49pm
My '78 Martinique 351 Commander has one intake and drains thru the exhaust.
Nauti Girl
--I think my husband uses his own login now!
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2004 at 4:21am
Sounds like the previous owner was runnuing the boat in weedy water and wanted to make sure if one intake pluged the second was available.. This setup is relatively rare.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2004 at 11:52am
Actually on our several pre-1972 boats, they nearly all have the dual intakes/thru-hulls also. I couldn't figure this out the first time I saw this and as 'boatnut' mentioned, they just looped together. This is on a '70 Mustang with a Ford engine, so I thought it was a redundant-in-case-one-fails thing. But after obtaining several other boats with Chrysler engines, I found that both thru hulls were/are utilized. I thought they were both intakes, but the schematics shown in the Chrysler engine manual in the Reference section depicts one as a return line although they still just show the one fitting, but with two lines attached. Maybe Woody or someone at CC can shed light, but my guess was that since so many Chrysler engines were being used back then it was easier to just install two while all of hull fittings were being installed. Who knows.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Rbest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2004 at 5:23pm
I have a 68 mustang with ford and I have two intakes as well.
Rob 68MustangSS
cisom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cisom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2004 at 3:37pm
My '75 Southwind 20 w/351 has two intakes and they are looped together. I always thought it was to make sure there was a pickup in the water at all times depending on the direction of turns etc.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2004 at 12:58am
Mine has a single 1 1/2 " intake that splits below the fresh water pump with two 1" outlets and another 1" for the return, the front 1" thru the pump cools the engine, the back 1" thru the pump cools the reverse oil cooler, and the return comes out the thermo. housing past the over temp. spring thingie, back down to the "Y" under the pump to be mixed with cool intake water. Sounds easy huh? Mine is the original Chrysler with a double chamber pump. Maybe the pump used is the reason for the dual intake, this would eliminate the "Y" if mine had dual intakes.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2004 at 3:58am
yeah, my 65 has the same dual chamber pump with warm water re-circulator.I had to block off the re-circulator line as it was allowing air back in below the pump causing it to not pump water.Maybe the stat is not completely sealing when closed...so, the stat is out too and runs great between 140 and 160.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2004 at 1:10am
My thermo outlet has a large brass over temp., over pressure spring housing,in a cast extender, about 3" tall. snndwiched between the top of that and the outlet cap, is a flow restrictor, with a spring button, like a check valve. 2 outlets go to the exhaust collectors, and 1 goes to the over flow. mine really doesn't have a thermostat, and runs at 160 F.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2004 at 4:10pm
Polyhead-
Would you mind sending me a photo of your thermo housing? It sounds similar..and may be the reason I've not been able to locate a stat for mine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2004 at 3:24am
I'm headed to Norris lake tomorrow, but I'll try to get some digital pics Monday.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2004 at 6:04pm
POLYNOGGIN you s$#% you should have let me know!
the wife's been nippin at my ass to go visit HER kin foke in lake city tenn for too long.
the family FUNNY FARM is only 20 min from norris lake.

HAVE FUN & BE SAFE !
kenny g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic