NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Romote start on carb'd engine?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Romote start on carb'd engine?
    Posted: October-22-2011 at 2:04pm
I was wondring if you can install a remote start on a carburated engine?   I have a 1981 Ford one ton van with a bucket lift (2bbl-V8). The pump that powers the bucket is belt driven off the motor. Right now I need to have the engine run to operate the bucket.

A lot of times I am in the same location when working and was wondering if its possible to install a remote start, so when I'm working in the bucket, the truck could be shut off?

I know remote starts are usually installed on fuel injected vehicles because of initially needing to set the choke. in this case the engine will be warmed up when I shut it down and want to re-start it.

Any thoughts?

Would a cheap kit like this work?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 8:17pm
If your tune is good I don't see why it wouldn't. I never touch the the throttle in the boat after the initial cold start.   
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 9:34pm
I've seen it done before. What type of lift are you using? I know most versalifts and altecs are wired with spares through the boom. You'd just have to extend them to the starter relay and add a switch at the bucket. The bucket I use has a push pull switch to shut off and restart the engine.
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 10:13pm
Steve,
All I can say is you are truly showing your age. A remote start?? Give me a break!! Do your remote start Pam as well??

BTW, yes, it will work!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 10:51pm
Scott,
It is a Versalift and I think there are 2 or 3 unused wires behind the boom's control panel. can they be hooked up with a switch somehow?

Pete, I am just trying to do my part to lower my carbon footprint....
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 10:57pm
Scott, It just hit me... you would turn the main ignition off and start the truck from the boom after it is warmed up? ( I was trying to think how to turn the power off from the boom, with the main key in run..... duhhhh)

Do you use a keyed ignition switch?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2011 at 11:31pm
No it a round push pull switch. You push it in to kill the motor and pull it in to start it back up. It was installed by the company that installed the boom. To replace it would probably cost more than that wireless remote starter. I imagine you could replicate it with another ignition switch.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 12:21am
Ironically enough Steve I got stuck up in my bucket today. Mine uses a generator to power the boom and I had shut it off to work.Went to restart it and nothing.Got down with the battery backup pump.Went up again later,shut it off and the battery backup didn't work either.Luckley I was working with someone else and he was able to come over to restart the generator. Keep your cellphone with you!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2011 at 11:56am
I used to run a truck with a boom that ran only on a battery pump.It had a bad ground that would make it quit sporatically. Living here in Vermont we don't have the best cell coverage. I've become quite adept at shimmying down the boom!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 9:03am
Originally posted by politicallycorrect politicallycorrect wrote:

I've become quite adept at shimmying down the boom!

Make sure to check the ridge line for Ms. osha.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 6:20pm
I think Manual vs. Automatic transmission is a bigger limitation than carb vs. FI.

There used to be some funny videos/pics on VWVortex showing guys who ignored the "no-manual trans" warnings on remote start kits, and rigged around the clutch safety switch. They'd forget and leave in gear, hit the remote start... and rra-rha-vra-Vroom, baah-Baaaammm!!

I can only imagine that scenario with some-one up in a bucket at full extension   That would be a great comedy scene in a movie
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 6:28pm
This was the best I could find but there are better ones out there:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic