NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat Finish

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fournier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fournier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat Finish
    Posted: October-22-2011 at 8:24pm
I have been using 3M restorer and wax for my 86 Ski Nautique.
Being told that Poli Glow does an excellent job. Want to know if anyone can back that rumor up.
Thanks,
Ross
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 4:03pm
PoliGlow has good reviews within the RV forums.
But then I started reading about RedMax Pro Floor finish. Way cheaper - Did my motorhome with it and it came out great!
Google it on RV & Boaters forums and you'll get loads of info.
Now - I'm not so sure I would've had the balls to try it out on my old Nauti though????
I always just used NuFinish with decent results.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 4:09pm
As I understand it, Poliglow is an extra material that you put over the surface of the gelcoat, which gives off the appearance of having a "restored" finish. Sort of like a non-permanant clearcoat.

It is NOT an appropriate way to restore the shine... to bring back faded or chalky gelcoat, smoothing the gel and removing the surface contaminants (by buffing, or if needed, wetsanding) is the right way to do it. Poliglow is probably easier, but the finish will not last- it is a shortcut and a band aid at best.

Once you complete the wetsanding and buffing, the finish needs to be protected with wax. Keep it out of the sun as much as possible, and it will last a good long time.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 4:24pm
Tim's right guys. Take a look through the thread below and see Tim's more detailed instructions on wetsanding and the buffing process required to bring back the gel. Results are great!

Which 3m product?
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

As I understand it, Poliglow is an extra material that you put over the surface of the gelcoat, which gives off the appearance of having a "restored" finish. Sort of like a non-permanant clearcoat.

Tim's correct. The Poliglow & RedMax are like a protective coating.
You build it up with lots of thin coats. But the surface underneath needs to be clean and in decent condition, as you are just kind of encasing what's underneath.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 8:19pm
I agree with Tim. You really need to use a buffer and possibly wet sand to get down to the shine.

finish with a wax that contains UV protection. a lot of the car wax does not have this and doesn't need it because of the clear coat used on cars today. I have been using Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax once a year since buffing mine out over 5 years ago and it still looks like I just buffed it.

Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 8:32pm
I've also been using this stuff every time I pull the boat out of the water and wipe it down. Use it on all my cars too. I love this stuff. Makes everything look like it was just waxed and keeps grime from sticking making it easier to clean or in the case of the boat, wipe off the lake scum.

PDP Body Gloss

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 9:45pm
Don't be encouraging Tim you guys, thats not keeping it original
In the post with the 69 brochure one of our new members has posted this page,look in the center column,you just need a hose!

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Fournier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fournier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 11:42pm
That's what I like...no stone left unturned! Thanks for the responses.
Ross
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2011 at 1:02am
You wouldn't see a boat ad with someone standing on the doghouse today!!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2011 at 12:40pm
Gary, that ad may have been written when CC had 43 years of boat building experience... but its pretty obvious that they only had 7-8 years of fiberglass, gelcoat and foam work under their belt!

By the way, Mr. Thrower (aka nautique frk) is far from a "new member"... you'll notice he joined here a few years before you (and I) did. Check out the diaries- he has quite the impressive CC collection. He is the source for more than a few brochures in the reference section as well!
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2011 at 2:17pm

Gary, that ad may have been written when CC had 43 years of boat building experience... but its pretty obvious that they only had 7-8 years of fiberglass, gelcoat and foam work under their belt!

They also seem to have had even less copywriting experience under their belt. I can't wrap my head around the sentence that goes from the left column to the center column: "CCs total approach starts with the firberglass used in the hull - our recipe is scientifically controlled for the greatest strength - curing is complete."

Huh?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2011 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

You wouldn't see a boat ad with someone standing on the doghouse today!!

With the boat in gear, the driver leaning on the throttle, and most of the weight distributed to the stbd side.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2011 at 2:25pm
Jeff,
In the early days of fiberglass, some boat builders were having problems with improper cures. I understand it was due to bad mixing and or a ratio problem with the resin and catalyst. I have a feeling this was what CC was trying to communicate.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 1:00am

By the way, Mr. Thrower (aka nautique frk) is far from a "new member"... you'll notice he joined here a few years before you (and I) did. Check out the diaries- he has quite the impressive CC collection. He is the source for more than a few brochures in the reference section as well!

Thanks for pointing that out Tim,I assumed by the post count
Mr Thrower please accept my apologies and I thank you for your contributions.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2011 at 2:13am
On further review Tim, it turns out the item I refered to was a magazine page ad posted by relatively new 5-11 member, Mountaineerminer.
Thanks to both him and Mike for posting those hard to find '69 items.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic