Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clearing up gauge face.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clearing up gauge face.
    Posted: October-24-2011 at 11:02pm
The previous owner of our boat put some nice new gauges in the instrument panel. He replaced the speedo, tach and fuel gauge. Unfortunately they are white and modern and don't at all match the black medallion gauges the boat came with. He also decided to cut a new hole for the new tach and left the old tach on board. I've found a matching NOS speedo on ebay for 30 bucks. I've got a fuel gauge that is close to original and I'll be on the lookout for a replacement. That leaves the old cloudy tach. I seems to clear up when I wipe the plastic lens on it. Any recommendations on a something that could clear up the gauge??
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2011 at 11:26pm
You could get a polishing kit to do the plastic headlight lenses that yellow over time. I would think you could get that at most auto parts stores. I haven't tried it, just throwing it out as a suggestion.

David
86 Martinique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 12:28am
In the past on other plastic parts I had some luck with Meguire's products but I see on their web site that plastic polish is different that the one I used years ago.I have been luckey with ebay when I was looking for gauges. What style are you looking for? Post a picture.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 5:36am
The Meguiar's headlight kit might work well...
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 10:12am
if this helps, and yes it is a proven method, but if you ever notice the new plastic headlights on cars? many fog and you can barely see the light coming out and alot of miracle products came out for this reason, I simply will wetsand in graduations depending on the foginess, and end with 2000 grit, and then buff with coumpound, works well and lasts
"the things you own will start to own you"
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 11:25am
I think my gauges are glass, I may be wrong but they look in good shape. However, there used to be a black decal or painted trim around mine which has flaked off and accumulated at the bottom of the gauge. Are they difficult to remove and open up for cleaning? Anyone had any experience in this? Also I though I saw once where you could get a speedo refurb kit with a new decal for the numbers. Anyone else see this?
1989SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 12:57pm
I have no experience with marine gauges, however, I have taken apart about a dozen vintage motorcycle gauges to repair/replace the faces with great success. They are usually constructed of a two piece housing, like two cups placed rim to rim, and there is a metal trim ring that is crimped over the two pieces holding them together. You can use a small flathead screwdriver to slowly pry up the crimp on the bottom of the gauge, and if you're careful you can seperate the two halves without damaging anything. After you're done, put the gauges back together and re-crimp the ring with a pair of small vise grips with the jaws wrapped in electrical tape so they dont scratch.

To repair faces, you can have a sign/print shop make you a vinyl sticker to place on the gauge faceplate. This is done all the time in the motorcycle world to restore faded faces.

I'll look and see if I can find some pictures of the process when I get home tonight.
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2011 at 9:45pm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've thought about the headlight compound. Has anyone used it on their headlights? Eric's route sounds like the most thorough but I don't even know if the gauge works considering it and the engine are out of the boat until I get it restrung. I better test the tach before I go too far.
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2011 at 10:11am
regular compound, dont fall for the 2 ounces for 10 bucks
"the things you own will start to own you"
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2011 at 10:38am
I've seen kits that include everything that Eric is talking about, never tried one, but I might now that I realize I have all that stuff already.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2011 at 11:01am
This may be old news...Summit sent a brochure with my last order on what looked like a new line of pseudo nos gauges. Wrong term? They looked nice.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic