Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

brass freeze plugs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
lineman458 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineman458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brass freeze plugs.
    Posted: November-02-2011 at 11:12pm
Is it necessary to put brass freeze plugs in a inboard 302 engine?
If so what is the reason?
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2011 at 11:19pm
I think it is a good idea so you dont have to worry about them rusting out
83Ski
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2011 at 11:21pm
I think they use brass on marine engines because it resists corrosion better than steel.

I had one steel freeze plug in my block from the PO... Eric replaced it with the proper brass plug when he did my tranny. So, it will work, but they should be brass.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2011 at 11:24pm
Don, you beat me by two minutes!

So why don't they use brass on all engines? I'm sure an engine block in Ohio gets plenty of salt water on it during the winter.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2011 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

Don, you beat me by two minutes!

So why don't they use brass on all engines? I'm sure an engine block in Ohio gets plenty of salt water on it during the winter.

Because automobiles run antifreeze with corrosion inhibiters. Freeze plugs rust out from the inside. Some race cars use brass because they don't run antifreeze.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2011 at 9:28am
once again, mislabled, for those who dont know and yes being redundent, they are refered to as freeze plugs. but the purpose of these plugs are to plug the hole where the sand is drained after they are casted at the casting plant...
and a good thing to point out is with the brass, if you bake the block be sure you remove every single one of them because they shrink from the heat...or you will be pulling the engine again
"the things you own will start to own you"
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2011 at 7:35pm
Eric, I have alwas known them to be casting plugs not "Freeze Plugs"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineman458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2011 at 9:48pm
Yes I understanmd the purpose of the round discs in the block where the casting sand is removed,I have always heard them called freeze plugs.I could care less what they are called or why they are there I just want to know if I "HAVE" to replace the steel ones in my block with brass ones.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2011 at 9:55pm
In the southern hemisphere we call them welch plugs. Maybe because freezing is never an issue.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2011 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by lineman458 lineman458 wrote:

Yes I understanmd the purpose of the round discs in the block where the casting sand is removed,I have always heard them called freeze plugs.I could care less what they are called or why they are there I just want to know if I "HAVE" to replace the steel ones in my block with brass ones.

Steve,
There are many threads discussing those damn little round things in the sides of our blocks but it's not a port for removing sand. The hole is there to support the inner casting core. No big deal, since we all know what you are talking about!! The damn 'freeze" plug I feel was placed on the "core plug" many years ago when people found them pushed out when the block froze!! Yes, go into Autozone, and ask them for a "core plug"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 12:36am
I dont think you have to replace them unless they are leaking. You might buy you a couple for your tool box if you are worried.
83Ski
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 1:14am
As was mentioned in an earlier post. The only real worry is that they will rust from the inside out. This can take a long time so if you
plan on keeping the boat, replace them with Brass so you do not have to
worry about them anymore. If you plan on selling the boat in 5 years or so, they should be fine. Rusty, but fine and the next owner will probably replace them.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 1:34am
For some reason I never seem to get them for my heads.My 1st set of heads the shop forgot or I forgot to tell them.They did put them in the block. Anyway they lasted about 10 years before they leaked.When I got the P's I asked for them but didn't get them either.I'll change them when I need to since their alot easier than the block to do.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 9:55am
Lineman, i feel if you know what they are, maybe you could tell us brass or steel???
closed cooling, steel
lake cooling, brass
I threw 2 BBC's away yesterday, 2 plugs pushed out on the blocks, 2 big cracks down the valley..thats why i get upset when they are called freeze plugs, maybe once out of many without corroding, have i pushed a plug back in and it didnt fill with water.
just passing info, I dont care what you want to refer to them as, but to me they are cast plugs.
so, steel on closed cooling because antifreeze does not corrode them, all other applications with water flow through block, use brass
I had my once a year conversation with another boat dealer, he stores a couple hundred boats, they actually can hear the blocks snapping outside of their shop on the ones that prefer not to winterize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineman458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 11:00am
Just once I would like to ask what time it is in this forum
without having to get a broken down explanation of how a
watch works.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 12:00pm

watch works.

Hahahahaaa, thats gonna be tough
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 12:35pm
daddy told me once that you just dont stick in there, now i know why
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 12:39pm
I found a complete explanation on this site, is needed, especially when I talked to a guy who changed his 4 spark plugs on one side of the engine and didnt realize that there was 4 more on the otherside, maybe excuse the ornaments but i think it is necessary
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 12:52pm

watch works.

Youre right... not only did you get a great answer to your question, but it spurred an interesting discussion. I think anyone who added extra information owes you an apology!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

watch works.

Youre right... not only did you get a great answer to your question, but it spurred an interesting discussion. I think anyone who added extra information owes you an apology!

I'm sorry. BTW, what time is it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 1:18pm
What zone are you in? Who's on first?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 1:30pm
he did say you gotta lick it too, no he didnt, i figured that one out on my own
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 1:34pm
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 3:35pm

watch works.

I understand where you're coming from, but I also appreciate a detailed response and explanation. It's easy to just get the answer and move on, but if you fully understand the problem, and how the answer was derived, you'll probably never need to ask again. Obviously there are times when just the answer is all you need though.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

he did say you gotta lick it too, no he didnt, i figured that one out on my own

Eric, I'm not sure of the context of your remark unless its related to this little anecdote:

What do a 17 year old girl and a 9 volt battery have in common?

You know you shouldnt lick them, but you do anyway.

Hollywood: I am deeply saddened that you have sold my boat already, especially after it went from me to Tim to Chris to you so quickly. Tho I do have to say that reverse gel is a beauty. I really like those. If now had been the right time, I would have given serious thought to Eric S's.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 4:33pm
Yeah but mine's a big block.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 4:38pm
Speed run: 2010 Northwood Lake
Eric Svensen Big Block Nautique 50.4
Larry Hineline stock small block chevy 50.7

just sayin'
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 4:54pm
I'm looking for a Sidewinder banner for my basement, do you know where I can get one?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Good discussion but straying just a little off topic guys .

Oh, yeah, sorry. 2:09.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-04-2011 at 6:13pm
So here's a picture of my first boat. Starcraft with a 90 hp tower of power.

oopps! Sorry I thought I was in the 2012 CCf calender thread!!!
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic