Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The girlfriends early christmas present!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 10:40am
Welcome to the site. It looks a bit better in your pics than the craiglist add. It'll be interesting to see if you can get it in the water with just a little work. Good luck with it!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 12:44pm
My steal of the year award goes to the crb1000dude with the sweet blue color 1990 SN with a new interior or dual axle trailer for the same price.. but I digress.
As for the knocking.. and smashed electrode.. could be anything from sticky valves to a piece of piston that might now be welded/smashed into something (head or piston) and banging or it could have passed. If you have any compression problems… just with that cylinder even if minor you are likely living on borrowed time and should tear down and inspect. Not priming the oil system before starting might be a root cause, as could have been some rust in the cylinder walls catching a ring and applying trauma to the piston.   If it has good compression I would run it at idle on a hose for a while and see if it gets better… you might get a few years of use out of her without rebuild even with a smashed up cylinder.
Without the smashed electrode I would be thinking you burned out a rod bearing with the high revving low oil intial startup but you would have had to spin it to smash an electrode and that would cause some very noticeable oil pressure symptoms.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
NHNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

My steal of the year award goes to the crb1000dude with the sweet blue color 1990 SN with a new interior or dual axle trailer for the same price.. but I digress.
As for the knocking.. and smashed electrode.. could be anything from sticky valves to a piece of piston that might now be welded/smashed into something (head or piston) and banging or it could have passed. If you have any compression problems… just with that cylinder even if minor you are likely living on borrowed time and should tear down and inspect. Not priming the oil system before starting might be a root cause, as could have been some rust in the cylinder walls catching a ring and applying trauma to the piston.   If it has good compression I would run it at idle on a hose for a while and see if it gets better… you might get a few years of use out of her without rebuild even with a smashed up cylinder.
Without the smashed electrode I would be thinking you burned out a rod bearing with the high revving low oil intial startup but you would have had to spin it to smash an electrode and that would cause some very noticeable oil pressure symptoms.

I agree with you on the 1990 SN being a better deal. My interior is quite rough. Too bad everyone dosen't give away nice boats for that price everyday.

Another probable cause is a stuck lifter plunger. Its a top end noise. Those plungers easily get stuck with varnish, dirt or carbon deposits. I was a bit vague in my previous description, but the engine was oil primed. I'll get back to the troubleshooting tomorrow when the weather clears up

Thanks for the opinions.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 1:23pm
I always hope for the stuck lifter myself.. but the smashed electrode cant be explained by it... is suppose it could have contributed to valve float at high rpms but you are reaching. Every time I smashed me an electrode eventually on tear down I end up saying ohh thats how that happened. Although sometimes that teardown has been after much usage between electrode smushing incident...

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 1:38pm
I should have taken a pic of that plug. "Smashed" I guess dosen't describe it. There was no damage to the plug, its best described as the tip being pushed to the electrode with no other signs of visible damage and lots of carbon pushed inside the plug. Im wondering if I accidently damaged it before I put it back in.. Keep dreaming huh? haha..

The boat has 2000 hours on it, and there is evidence of previous engine work, but I have no knowledge of what it was.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 11:27pm
the plug probably came out of the box like that.boat ran like crap atfer their "mechanic"tuned it up and the PO got discouraged and parked it.you may still get lucky.most boats i buy are from discouraged people,they are my favorite kind of seller.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2011 at 2:35am
Originally posted by NHNautique NHNautique wrote:

I should have taken a pic of that plug. "Smashed" I guess dosen't describe it. There was no damage to the plug, its best described as the tip being pushed to the electrode with no other signs of visible damage and lots of carbon pushed inside the plug. Im wondering if I accidently damaged it before I put it back in.. Keep dreaming huh? haha..

The boat has 2000 hours on it, and there is evidence of previous engine work, but I have no knowledge of what it was.

Hi Joe and welcome from another NH CC owner. The boat looks very nice, sorry to hear you couldn't get it on the water this fall. I had planned on getting out one more time but just didn't happen.

David
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2011 at 11:55am
Hey Joe - Welcome aboard! If you got that boat in Webster from a guy named Craig, it definitely sat but he used it a lot in the summers before that and I assume he took decent care of it. Good luck with the work, there are bunch of us local to you if need an extra set of hands and you will get anything you need from the site - that's for sure.

-Greg
96 SN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2011 at 1:03am
lets see a few more pictures of runner up for deal of the year

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2011 at 6:27pm
Well, for those guys in NH, this boat is the old "kabeyun-andy" from Camp Kayebun in Alton NH. After being traded into NECC by the camp in rough shape from all its years on Winnipesaukee, it found a home up in Ossipee NH, where it was once again run hard. The past owner only changed the oil in the engine and tranny and ran it for a few more years until it was parked literally in the woods. It offered the mice and moss a good home.

I took a gamble with past owner saying "the engine runs great! you wont have a single issue with it!" Let me remind you that it was last registered in 05, had the manifold wide open and was sitting uncovered all those years.. Yeah buddy.. sure!

Did a compression test a few days ago and its showing a constant 100-110 on all cylinders except #8 which is at 140. This was on a COLD engine. For an engine with 2100 hours its tired. So, I'm changing directions on this project and am going to pull the 351 sometime this winter and rebuild it.

The saga will continue with this old girl, but here are those pictures of the "runner up deal of the year". The interior is already stored for the winter in these pictures. FYI I did get a barefoot boom with it too!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2011 at 12:10am
thanks for the pics joe.hows the gel coat?cracks,damage etc.it still looks like a good start to me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2011 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by bbishop1974 bbishop1974 wrote:

thanks for the pics joe.hows the gel coat?cracks,damage etc.it still looks like a good start to me

The gelcoat is still in good shape. It needs a buffing, but everything should come back nicely. There are a couple little nicks on the lower transom, but its just cosmetic. The hull is in great shape. No signs of damage, other than a few scratches here and there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 12:09pm
Crisis adverted! So that noise I was describing happened to be a "spare" carb stud that just happened to be inside of the manifold. It worked its way down to an intake valve and just sat there rattling. Im glad the engine only ran for about 10 seconds like that. Found a couple acorns down there too. Gotta keep it simple sometimes.     Now im just keeping my fingers crossed that it didnt bend the valve. I just want to drive the boat once before I rebuild the engine! Thats not too much to ask, right?

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 12:37pm
Joe, you said you want to drive it once before rebuild, but also that you want to pull the engine this winter for rebuild. Are you going to put on mittens and drop it in Winnipesaukee for a quick run? Otherwise you better trailer it south!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 12:38pm
That's crazy man. Good catch though.

The lakes not frozen yet, is it? Do you have it winterized yet?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by NHNautique NHNautique wrote:

Crisis adverted! Found a couple acorns down there too. Gotta keep it simple sometimes.    

HEY!   A squirrel has gotta eat too. Just never heard anyone admitting to actually feeding them!    
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 12:55pm
63 Skier, the problem is that if im going to pull the engine to rebuild it, im going to re-do the carpet also, and then I might see some soggy foam and soft stringers, so I'm going to be that idiot at the boat launch later this week breaking up the ice to see how the boat sits in the water. If its sitting very low then the whole game plan changes again...

I just want to get a bit of use out of it before I literally marry it for 6 months and have it suck my wallet dry.

Bri, the lakes here are frozen in some parts. I think with a few warm days everything will be open again. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 1:05pm
Seems like enough compression for general boating. I don't think the float test is going to tell you too much, you've got an engine cradle go ahead and run it!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

That's crazy man. Good catch though.

The lakes not frozen yet, is it? Do you have it winterized yet?

We order the Correct Craft icebreaker option on our boats up here. I was out in November last year, but never December.

Joe, if you're launching during the day later in the week, drop me a note and if I can, I'll meet you. Where would you put in, Alton?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 1:23pm
Definitly launch if you can and go for a rip.it will give you all winter to prioritize a to do list.taking my 86' on that one end of the year run was the best and worst thing idid.i loved the boat so much it went from bottom of the to do list to the top.interior walls in your living room are overrated anyways,the bucket under the leaking bathtub can stay another year or so etc.etc.etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 1:30pm
all wood will be definitly wet,the degree of rot is?my boat was soaked and showed all the signs of major rot,floor seperation,cracks in gel running along chines below windshield+minor cracking of glass on stringers.it is ripped apart now and the only rotton wood is plywood laminated in the secondaries.all wood is soaked and definitly being replaced but as far as safety is concearned the boat was fine.dont wasteyour money on carpet as you will eventually be opening her up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic