NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reciever Hitch Cover

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reciever Hitch Cover
    Posted: November-10-2011 at 7:31pm
Does anyone know where to get the aluminum Ski Nautique reciever hitch covers? I have ran across couple used ones on ebay but thats it. Thanks
1983 Ski Nautique
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 7:32pm
I've searched all over the web and the only ones I've been able to find are plastic.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 9:12pm
My receiver is totally rusted in that I can't get it out!! The actual mount is stainless that I made years ago but the commercial pin is carbon steel. It will take some work to get it out as I really want to save the SS mount I made. So, the bottom line is I'd love to have something to stick in that hole but the key is removing the mount every once in awhile!! The same goes with the "convert-a-balls". If carbon steel, don't leave them on! I had to literally beat the one ball off my wife's car one year and then go after it with a drum sander on it's I.D.

I'd love to see a receiver cover with the old Coca Cola Script on it!! "Nautique", what's that?? BTW, I'm still looking for a 1954 "GMC Travel All" to pull my 54 Atom!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

My receiver is totally rusted in that I can't get it out!!

Pete, I'm so disappointed in you... -500 posts
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 9:17pm
I had to cut a pin a week ago. I hope to run across another cover I dont think they come up for sale very often......
1983 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Thanks Greg, you are always such a inspiration!

OK, you have never gotten a mount stuck in the receiver? You must be so anal that you remove it after each use! I'm not to that point yet! Almost though after getting two mounts stuck in the receivers!! I didn't mention the first one! Damn, I tried my best on the first time. I even strapped the mount to a tree and put the truck in gear. That thing did not want to budge!! It's amazing what rust will do!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 9:43pm

BTW, I'm still looking for a 1954 "GMC Travel All" to pull my 54 Atom!!

They have all returned back to nature, much like the one you have now is in the process of doing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 9:54pm

So, the bottom line is I'd love to have something to stick in that hole

Too funny....

Pete, I leave my receiver in almost 90% of the time but I have to switch from 1 7/8" to 2" quite often. I figure if I leave it and someone tries to get too close when parking they're going to get the bad end of the deal!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2011 at 11:00pm
It appears that Nautique skins has them?   "N" hitch cover

only $6 bucks too
DieselCash View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DieselCash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 12:09am
Try this site to make one for you, he does custom orders.

Custom Hitch Covers

Do you have a link or picture of what the cover looks like?
1992 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

only $6 bucks too

Thanks, but it has the nasty "N" word!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 12:22am
Originally posted by DieselCash DieselCash wrote:

Try this site to make one for you, he does custom orders.

Custom Hitch Covers

Do you have a link or picture of what the cover looks like?

Thanks for the link but I'm not that desperate to have a custom Coca Cola script one made just to fill the hole. Besides, I can go to the ref files and transfer them over to our laser - but,since they are so busy, I have a hard time getting any personal stuff done!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 1:03am

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Thanks Greg, you are always such a inspiration!

OK, you have never gotten a mount stuck in the receiver? You must be so anal that you remove it after each use! I'm not to that point yet! Almost though after getting two mounts stuck in the receivers!! I didn't mention the first one! Damn, I tried my best on the first time. I even strapped the mount to a tree and put the truck in gear. That thing did not want to budge!! It's amazing what rust will do!

Oh Pete; where do I start? You've been such an inspiration to most of us that I really hate to have to remind you of the wonderous properties of a BFH. Maybe us Ga folks have a better handle on the BFH because we start with it at an early age. Our classes on the general use of grease doesn't come until 6th grade after we learn to read.

I'm also going to have to do some research on your anal envy. The receiver on my poor 180k Z71 is constantly subject to multiple assaults by various pintle hitches, boat hitches, and neighbor trailor hitches. It currently gets treated badly but keeps on taking it? Harassment?

You, on the other hand, have a front hitch. I don't see many of those around, so I'm thinking you may be guilty of hitch abuse? It's misuse of union hitches at the least.

At this point, I can only conclude that you need boot camp hitch re-alignment and a remedial course in lubricants. The department of CC abuse and neglect will be looking for your certificates, but be aware...we won't be able to acknowlege our receipt of said documents upon request. I'll also be obliged to copy the department of Kevin on this entire issue.
1988 BFN-sold

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 1:23am
For a little back of car decoration, I went this route.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 12:16pm
Greg,
Trust me, I tried the BFH! The one that's stuck now is actually the pin rusted into the mount. One minor thing you are forgetting is we put salt on our roads up here!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 12:52pm
I did the tree thing with my Jeep. Had tires smoking in 4wd and receiver didn't budge. Ended up changing the hitch. It was one of those 1 1/2 ones and now i have a 2"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 12:59pm
Good theft prevention, Pete. If you're going to leave it on your hitch, the rattier the better. I had a nice ball hitch with an SS ball and pin a few years ago and it was stolen almost immediately.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 1:44pm

only $6 bucks too

Doesn't say what they're made of though, plastic?

It does crack me up that the Air logo is turned on its side, haha
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 2:27pm

My receiver is totally rusted in that I can't get it out!! The actual mount is stainless that I made years ago but the commercial pin is carbon steel. It will take some work to get it out as I really want to save the SS mount I made. So, the bottom line is I'd love to have something to stick in that hole but the key is removing the mount every once in awhile!! The same goes with the "convert-a-balls". If carbon steel, don't leave them on! I had to literally beat the one ball off my wife's car one year and then go after it with a drum sander on it's I.D.

Oh man, lot of potential in that one.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 3:38pm

only $6 bucks too

Thanks, but it has the nasty "N" word!

I have a neighbor that has a CNC/plasma cutter in his garage....      if you have a picture of what you're looking for, he might be willing to do a couple... If I knew what you were looking for, I could certainly ask!
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2011 at 10:09pm
Illinois is trying to pass a law requiring people to remove their trailer hitch from the receiver when not in use.

625 ILCS 5/12-614
Provides that if any portion of a motor vehicle hitch containing a ball mount and hitch receiver extends more than 4 inches beyond the motor vehicle's rear bumper, then the ball mount must be removed from the hitch receiver when the motor vehicle is not being used for towing. Provides that if any portion of a motor vehicle hitch extends more than 4 inches beyond the rear bumper of the motor vehicle and the hitch is composed of a single assembly that cannot be easily removed from the vehicle, then the ball of the hitch must be covered with a red cover. Defines "ball mount", "hitch receiver", and "motor vehicle hitch".

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2011 at 11:41am

One minor thing you are forgetting is we put salt on our roads up here!

Valid point Pete. On the rare occasion we see the white stuff, I think they use cat litter.

I still have a hard time picturing rust whipping a BFH, but several guys backed you up. My bad.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2011 at 11:42am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Oh man, lot of potential in that one.

Hence my reference to the Dept of Kevin.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic