NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What generator would you buy?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What generator would you buy?
    Posted: November-12-2011 at 8:17pm
Hey guys. In the market for a generator to hardwire into my panel to run the whole house. Gererac has a 5,500 watt generator for $699.00 at a local hardward store. They recommended a Honda, which is $1,600 for the same watt generator. They said the Generac puts out dirty watts which means it surges and can blow out appliances. The Honda is supposed to be clean watts, the same as regular power lines. What do you think?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2011 at 8:54pm
I have recently worked on a generac l/p - nat gas unit (stationary) and had no issues . also an 11k honda , it was portable / quiet the only shortcoming was the 4.5 gal tank . I have a honda driven 5k off brand. it is quiet gas stingy but will not keep it now after the last storm. I am going to figure out what i need to run heat , a few lights , refridge washer drier and will put in a switch panel , i am going to keep it portable like the honda 11k . for loan out possibilities. I know its a lot more than the $700 one i bought 10 yrs ago but its more than double the things i can run at once .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2011 at 9:09pm
5,500 watt to run the whole house. A hot water heater usually uses 4,500 watts by itself. A 5,500 watt Honda for $1600 is cheap. It probably has a honda motor, but the generator is another brand, probably the same as what's on the gererac. And anything that has a honda motor on it and it's not 100% honda, that motor is made in a different factory.
Tim D
67425ks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67425ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2011 at 9:35pm
Buy Honda. I take my small Honda generator (2300w if I remember right) when I go to the sand dunes and it always impresses me how quiet and efficiently it runs. For running my house, I use my miller bobcat that puts out 10kw. It's more of a hassle to hook up to my house than a dedicated generator but I have only lost power at my house once in the last 4 years. I think you can pick up a new one for around $3400 if you get a promotional deal. They aren't as quiet and mobile but it was a good deal for me since I bought it for welding in the first place.
P.s. 10kw sounds like overkill but it doesn't go as far as you think if your wife is like anything like mine.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2011 at 11:42pm
I went with powering just the essentials- furnace, fridge, sump, beer fridge, etc. For that I ordered this:

6-circuit transfer switch

And cheaped out on this generator which has a perfect copy of a Honda motor. Starts instantly, runs quietly and smoothly.

Wen 3500

We only lose power for a day or two max here, but it happens often. Thus, this was the most practical solution for our needs.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2011 at 1:05am
Would it be possible to run on of those inside the house and pipe the exhaust out? It would be nice to have the whole operation indoors, free from theft and the elements.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2011 at 4:25am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Would it be possible to run on of those inside the house and pipe the exhaust out? It would be nice to have the whole operation indoors, free from theft and the elements.

I'm going to put the transfer switch outlet in my screened-in porch, which will offer some of that.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2011 at 10:36am
I build my entire house with a yamaha 2200, The carpenter would start @8am. It would run out of gas around 11:30 He would have lunch, fill it again and work till it ran out around 4. One time when the plumber, electrician, and builders were there we needed another gen for the pipe cutter.

I have a Yamaha 6600 now runing through a 6 switch panel that does the furnace (which is how I heat water too), Microwave, 2 refridgerators and a couple plugs. I problably could run more but the generator never grunts.

I have no one sided Yamaha / Honda issues. It was that I worked @ a Yamaha dealer. My father runs a house of a Honda 1100
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2011 at 11:36am
If you are running any electronic devices on it buy the honda (or probably the yamaha). The only difference you will find is how clean the AC is coming out of a higher end generator.

Tim

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2011 at 9:07am
Stay away from the Generac. All of their smaller gen sets use engines of unknown quality and origin and private labled as "Generac". What are "dirty watts"? If we start talking about the sign wave produced, then we can get technical.

5500 watts as mentioned is on the very low side to do the whole house. Add up your loads and DO NOT forget starting surge of inductive loads (motors).

I did a whole house with an automatice transfer switch on my home up north. It's a 7500 Kohler run on natural gas. Just to be safe, I added current transformers (donuts) feeding amp meters on both legs so I came monitor the load. I did the install myself but, installing a whole house auto will get involved with needing a new main disconnect and may need permitting an electician and your power company. Doing what Joel did with a manual transfer is easier but you need to be home to run it. I did the same on my home here.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic