NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Houseboat vacation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Houseboat vacation
    Posted: November-16-2011 at 9:00pm
Hey guys, I'm interested in doing a houseboat vacation on a new to me lake in the southeast. I'm told that Lake Cumberland in KY/TN does some of that and that also there is a lake in VA where this is doable. Does Lanier have rental houseboats? I'd be towing my boat for the watersport fun, but would want a nice houseboat for my family and possibly another family for 4-7 days. I'm in Columbia, SC so it'd be nice to find a place that can be reached in 8 hours or less (towing). Mountainous or other nice scenery would be appreciated. Anybody have any good experience with this? Plenty of options if I'm willing to tow for 4-5 days one way, but that just isn't feasible.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 9:27pm
Steve, yes, Lanier does have houseboat rentals.
I know Lake Lanier Islands rents them. Probably some of the larger marinas also. Some of the larger marinas are: Holiday, Port Royale, Auqualand, Gainesville, and more. You may want to do a google search for houseboat rentals.
Plenty of CCfans around here to crash the party too
More than happy to give you some helpful information about Lanier. It is a beautiful lake.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 9:42pm
Thanks Jim. I really appreciate the information. I'd like to get something working for next summer.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 10:14pm
Steve, the south end of Lanier is where most of the attractions are. Lake Lanier Islands offers a lot. Sunset Cove has a beach and water park, restuarants and a nice beach to pull the boats up to. Try to catch a week with a full moon. Sunset Cove has a "Full Moon Party" in the cove and on the beach. Also shoot fireworks on these occasions.
Lanier is busy on the weekends, especially on holiday weekends, with many large cruisers and houseboats running around. However, the lake has many good skiing coves...especially during the week.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2011 at 10:20pm
Steve, check out Lake Lanier Islands facebook page. Lots of pics and info.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 9:16am
Try renting a house in the Adirondacks(NY), in July. It's a trip but worth it, senic mountain lakes that are clean and uncrowded. I have been to Lake Cumberland, it's ok but doesn't compare to the above region as it is a reservoir, Adirondack lakes have sand and granite bottoms with clear water. Adirondackbyowner.com for the house. We went to Schroon lake this past Summer and had a great trip, if interested pm me. I have no commercial interest there, just happy boating with terrific views.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 9:59am
Steve,
Google Dale Hollow Lake. It's on the Ky/Tn boarder about 2-3 hours east of Lk Cumberland over 600 mi of shore line NO houses, deep clean water. We have been there several times and its about time to go again.
The big boats have 6 queen size beds. Its a days drive for me or you and well worth it. Do the 4 day 3 nite trip, with the week long trip you fill the septic tank, run out of ice ...

Man its fun. Heck sign us up !!!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Plenty of CCfans around here to crash the party too

+2 on that. Yep, now how cool would that be to have a houseboat on Lanier with it's own support fleet comprised of Correct Crafts from several decades! Way Cool!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2011 at 4:38pm
Steve if you want a pristine lake with no houses or industry and mountain views check out Fontana Lake in Western NC. The Appalachian trail crosses the dam. I know you can rent houseboats there and the lake is about 35 miles long. We camped there for a week out of the Skier before I owned it.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2011 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

Steve,
Google Dale Hollow Lake. It's on the Ky/Tn boarder about 2-3 hours east of Lk Cumberland over 600 mi of shore line NO houses, deep clean water. We have been there several times and its about time to go again.
The big boats have 6 queen size beds. Its a days drive for me or you and well worth it. Do the 4 day 3 nite trip, with the week long trip you fill the septic tank, run out of ice ...

Man its fun. Heck sign us up !!!

I agree on mostly everything, except that it's 2-3 hours east of Cumberland. It's only about an hour away, and it's pretty much directly south of it. The houseboat is definitely a good time if you have a compatible group to go with. There are plenty of coves at Dale Hollow to just beach your houseboat in and you're all set. The water is deep, clean, and very warm.

I've done the houseboat thing 5 times, and camped there more than 25 times. Never had a bad experience. Let me know if you want any other info, I'd be glad to help out.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2011 at 7:30pm
Another vote for Dale Hollow, many family trips over the years and always nice clear water.

Cumberland is nice as well and a huge lake, stay to the western side of the lake near Jamestown and it the water is nicer, though hard to find quiet ski coves.
jake613 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jake613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2011 at 7:32pm
Don't know if you can get a house boat but lake Jocasse is a dream come true. Beautiful mountain lake decent size fairly remote though.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2011 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

would want a nice houseboat for my family and possibly another family for 4-7 days.

Great, my family and I are available. Just let me know which dock to meet you at.

Donald
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2011 at 8:25pm
@Jake, Jocasee is awesome. We've camped there 2 years in a row now and enjoyed it each time, but no houseboats there and we've pretty much seen the whole lake and I'm getting tired of tent camping. Remote primitive tent camping out of a Nautique is not easy especially with young kids.

@Donald, I knew I could count on you. BTW, Jody's flywheel showed up today and it looks like it'll be the perfect solution to what I had. Looks like it'd be every bit as good as a brand spankin new one at 1/3 or better of the price. Thanks for the suggestion.

@group. Thanks for all of the input. Dale hollow looks like a really good option based on distance, houseboat rental rates, scenery etc. It's far from a done deal, but definitely something I want to get on the books right away. The rates at all of these places seems pretty high. Yes, some of these boats will sleep 3 families and the rate isn't outrageous split 3 ways, but I'm not sure I want to spend a week with more than 1 other family.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 12:22am
Steve, I could rent you this one on Lake Marion, just an hour from your home!
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 11:34pm
We did Center Hill lake in Tennessee. 80' houseboat with three families. Very quiet, but lots of fun.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 12:02am
Hey Tom, was that really on Marion? I saw some weird stuff there, but never that one.

@group It looks like this is going to be put on the back burner for at least a year. My folks are footing the bill for a family vacation/cruise next summer and with the time off I'll be alloting for that vacation, I don't think I'll have enough left over for the houseboat thing.

I'm definitely going to do it though. I like the idea of TN/VA/KY based on the drive and the views. Lots of good options other than that, but just none that I feel I can utilize w/o taking more than a weeks vacay.
Thanks again.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic