NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hey...it's been a while

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey...it's been a while
    Posted: November-19-2011 at 4:39pm
Hey all...haven't posted on here in a while. I've lurked some watching some of the topics in what y'all have been up to. Hope all is well!!!

We've had a pretty good year, getting all moved from the Tulsa area to the OKC area and getting settled in. My wife is making progress on her teaching degree and the boys are growing fast. The Supra is still doing well and we're continually working on little projects. A buddy of mine approached me this summer about starting an OKC chapter of Wake Board Church. We've managed to get that going and off the ground and it seems to be going well.

Just before time to winterize the boat I managed to sustain an injury on the trampoline jumping with my buddy and the boys...tibial plateau fracture. I had to have surgery to fix that with a plate and ten screws...fun stuff. Now it's just healing time. I won't be able to bear weight on the leg for about 8-10 weeks.

We had a great season on the lake and have improved a bit on our boarding skills. We've also managed to get our surfing wave dialed in pretty good. Last time out I was riding ropeless as long as I wanted if I didn't make a mistake.

I've attached a couple pics of the injury for your enjoyment.

davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2011 at 4:49pm
OUCH!!! That is not a pretty sight! Hope you recover quickly.

Yep, them darn trampolines can be hazardous to your health. We had one in the past, but couldn't wait to get rid of it.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 12:13pm
At least it's winter, best wishes for a speedy recovery. That scar will be a conversation starter while surfing.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 12:18pm
wouldnt that suck if they did the wrong knee?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 12:38pm
Eric...a friend of mine actually suggested that I mark thrones with a sharpie. Then I cracked up when they actually did that pre-surgery. The nurse put a "yes" on the correct knee and "no" on the incorrect one with a sharpie. Then the doc came in to talk to me and he signed his initials next to the "yes". Too funny!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 12:40pm
Dr Stevens...I'm actually considering doing a tattoo on the scar. Thinking a zipper that isn't zipped all the way to the knee and "draw" in what would be seen underneath where it's not zipped.
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 12:52pm
Andy, you did a major job on that knee.
Those screws and plates remind me of sheet rock screws and old "erector set" parts. My 27 year old son just had his leg fixed about 7 weeks ago. He snapped his fibula. They had to use screws and plates similar to your set up! He is just now walking around.
Good thing you got all that work done on your boat before this happened.
Hope you heal up fast!
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 1:06pm
Dam Andy, that looks nasty. Hope it heals up fast. Remember; jump with your board, less chance of injury. John.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 2:34pm
At least it's winter, best wishes for a speedy recovery. That scar will be a conversation starter while surfing.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 7:22pm
jim...the doc is saying no weight on it for 8-10 weeks.

john...lol...true, although there have been some pretty good injuries on the board as well. I'm actually thankful it's a break and not ligament damage.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 8:04pm
So wakeboarding is even dangerous with dryland practice. Lol. When you're ready to head on over to the darkside and get a foil I'll hook you up with a real good friend in OKC who could use a new person in his crew.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 8:07pm
Okie, that scar speaks for itself, remember, "keep it original" !
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 8:19pm
Txfoilhead...sounds good. I'd love to catch up with him even without switching over. What lake does he frequent?

Dr....I dunno...I'm all for improvements and enhancements. I'm not rigid to the "original" idea. ;-)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2011 at 8:48pm
He's on the east side of Moore, so SE OKC. I'm guessing he goes to Draper and maybe Thunderbird. We usually see him most often in TX or when we go up to Lake Murray in May. Never ridden with him at home. Murray's a good time though the weekend after Mother's day, might turn into a North TX PN / Foiling deal next year since I taught a couple of them to foil this fall and Ryan (SN 206) has a place up there.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2011 at 2:41pm
I bet he is hitting Thunderbird. Draper has been closed...they drained it to do some pump work and other things. I've seen two foilers at Arcadia where we go. One has a Nautique...I've never been close enough to figure out the exact model, but it is newer and has a tower...orange and white. I'd love to meet up with him. He is also welcome to join us any time. If he is interested in getting involved with Wake Board Church, that would be cool too. We've been thinking about a Memorial Day trip to Murray this year. We need to see how things go budget wise and how much this break ends up costing out of pocket. That might put a dent in our plans this year.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 10:17pm
PT and exercises at home continue to go well. Pain meds are being reduced and I'm definitely feeling better. I've got a lot of movement back and have my knee bending to 120* now. They gave me a limited release for work starting this week. I am able to work remote with my job so that works out well. I still can't sit up or stand on crutches for too long without issues, but it's getting better every day.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 10:56pm
Be sure you've gotten the OK and done all the work before you get back out on the water. One of my neighbors blew her knee last fall, got it fixed and thought she felt good then blew it out again in the Spring because she could wait to get back out.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 2:40pm
Definitely, Don. I don't want to re-injure or cause long-term problems. Since mine is not ligament damage re-injury is not much of a risk, but if I don't give time for complete healing I could have arthritis type issues later. I'll take it easy all season if the doctor says so, though.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 8:37pm
Looks like you redid the stringers in your leg.

I hope you are back to 100%.

Donald
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 3:51pm
Thankfully it only took some bracing to get them fixed, not a full removal and replacement. ;-)

I'm getting there...still have at least 4 weeks before I get to put weight on it again.
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2011 at 2:01am
Andy,

That hurts looking at it. I feel for you. Work your rehab hard and you will be good as almost new in the end!
83Ski
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2012 at 6:03pm
Went to the doc today for my ~8 week follow up. He said everything is looking good. He released me to drive (which my wife is really happy about). I'm also now able to start some weight bearing and more aggressive PT. He wants me to start with about 25% weight bearing this week, 50% next and so on. I should be off crutches in another month if all goes well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2012 at 7:16pm
funny, my neighbors both had bariatric surgery, (cut part of the stomach out) she went first about 3 months ago and he was her little bitch for a month, he went 2 weeks ago and is treadmilling already.... he's like wtf, I just laughed...milk it if you can
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2012 at 1:01am
Glad to hear your getting back on your feet. I can not imagine being unable to drive or walk for that long. How is the scar coming along? Pics?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2012 at 2:43pm
Scar is healing up nicely. I'll post some pics soon.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 1:25pm
Here are a few pics...

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 1:36pm
Andy,
Good to hear from you again. I see you been there in pain.I am sorry hear. I hope you get feeling better, get healed up wont be long spring will be upon us. Take care my friend...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 4:02am
Showing a little more leg than I needed to see but the scar is healing up nicely, still should be a good conversation starter. Don't over do it you have come to far.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 10:06am
if i took a snap shot like that, you might see part of my junk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 3:24pm
I tried to crop it to minimize, but I guess I didn't crop enough, huh? LOL! The scar is doing good and the leg feels pretty good. Started more aggressive PT yesterday doing some lifts with weight and also the stationary bike. Feels good to be doing more normal things.

eric, I threw it over my shoulder so you wouldn't have to see it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic