NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

EU all wet?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2011 at 2:13am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Yes it is a minor thing and something congress shouldn’t be bothering with, that is the point. Congress approved using our money for the program and then it goes to a branch of the executive to administer it, that is how our government works, the congress then went back and spent more time on changing how it was administered to pick winners, and they didn’t pick children.

To say that the noise machine is the same for both sides is also just crazy at this point and I no longer have any patience for it as an informed viewpoint. The democrats simply aren’t at the level of hipocrazy the republicans appear to value at this point. Republicans in congress just caused another crash to make a point and continue to try and sabotage the economy at every turn. In theory to make obama look bad but in reality they have now basically given the 2012 election to the democrats.

Joe, I am concerned about what my kids eat at school, and I am not supporting the tomato sauce industry (At least not verbally, possibly with my diet!) The point is that our government is using its valuable time to even consider this. This should be a 100% local decision that is 100% locally funded. At most the government could put out a recommendation of a weekly count of calories, sugars, fats, and fruit and vegetable servings as a guide, and let the school districts and school boards with input from parents set a policy that works for them. We are told that congress needs to decide this for us because we are not smart enough to do it for ourselves, but they set up the argument as what is or is not a vegetable. If they are so bright why did they not see the ridicule coming? And why are they picking winning and losing industries based on who is lobbying rather than what is healthy? This week they are deciding if Airlines should be able to charge for a checked bag. Again Huh???? Why is this any of their business? Why do they think they have any right? Did the dirty dozen solve our financial problems and this is the only thing left for them to do?

Many outside of the liberal land of New York view this weeks budget committee failure much differently. It took both sides to cause the failure. Many believe we have a spending problem not a tax problem. The group was charged with cutting the deficit by 1.2 trillion, about 1% of gdp. Due to the economy they have given us I am making due on 40% less than when Obama came into office. These jokers cant cut 1% off their budget. It is very easy to spend others money, it cost you nothing and you get to look like a hero to the ones you give it to. The Democrats love to play this game, who wouldn't? But they have played themselves out of monopoly money. On the other side it is very difficult to be responsible and cut spending. I am critically aware of this. The republicans are willing to make the tough decisions and offered some tax increases on the "rich" as a concession that they should not have to make under the current circumstances. I and many mainstream Americans find it repulsive that during the current economy the Dems could not share some of our sacrifice, and were looking to increase taxes to support their spending addiction.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2011 at 2:14pm
So Eric, you are a smart man. Why you gonna vote for him again?? If I wuz a democrat, I would defintly maybe try look the other way. Obama will go down worse than Jimmy Carter.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2011 at 12:28pm
my new coined phrase "cause and effect"
I know what caused the meltdown and i know what to do to not let it continue
im gonna vote for him again to keep the wolves out of there, they cant even come to a conclusion themselves and you want them to run the government? i dont see it as getting a republican president, I see it as getting a group back in power, im not very fond of that group. I dont think they stand for what America stands for.
its just to much of the unknown, i mean come on, 26 guys got Osama, to date i believe its 8000 have died for a who gives a fck cause,
I can remember that clip of Bush and Clinton, Clinton was shaking hands with thoses colored people and Bush wiped his hand off on Clintons shirts, and yes Carter does now more for this country than he did when in office, Clinton also, in office and out of office, you dont see much of the Bushes except when trying to conjur up campaign dollars...to me that says alot about a man or men and thier values, or the group they come from. really when you boil it down it seems the right are takers and the left are givers...maybe im a giver at heart, it doesnt necessarily mean i will vote to the left, I just want whats best for everyone
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

This should be a 100% local decision that is 100% locally funded. At most the government could put out a recommendation of a weekly count of calories, sugars, fats, and fruit and vegetable servings as a guide, and let the school districts and school boards with input from parents set a policy that works for them.

This is what had happened.. guidelines set up by the agency charged with setting them up, they even reflected common sense things like that pizza and fries should not be considered substitutes for servings of vegetables although they were certainly not banned.

Then a republican controlled congress stuck in a completely unrelated bill language that overturned common sense.. and low and behold they fear no ridicule because thier supporters make crazy convoluted explanations of how the real problem isnt corrupt politicians taking industry bribes but really government in general.

As for airline industry regulations.. quite simply airlines like banks rely on the federal government to function. Therefore they open themselves up to regulation that ensures they service the people adequately in exchange for the people paying for a large part of thier operating expenses. I dont see any real conservative actions being taken by these so called conservatives.. or there would be no FDIC insurance and there would be no federal air traffic control and no federal aviation security. Instead they put forth the idea that the american people should pay for these things and make private contractors rich in the process but that the people through thier elected representatives then should have no say over how those contractors treat the american people. That aint conservative, it aint small government, it is silly. The first time I see the republicans make a move to actualy decrease the size or expendatures of a government program and not simply redistribute the money towards a campaign contributing business then I will believe they have once again become a viable option.
     I am sure you can come back with all the things they say they want to do but the reality is when given the chance they dont do it.. look at the medicare prescription drug benefit.. classic.. increase the deficit, dont pay for it, create an entire new revenue stream for insurance companies and drug companies, and make it illegal for the government to even consider negotiating drug prices with the companies. Even though those companies take federal money for development, and need federal agencies to certify thier drugs, and then take federal money to pay for the drugs. Sounds real conservative to me.

Many outside of the liberal land of New York view this weeks budget committee failure much differently. It took both sides to cause the failure. Many believe we have a spending problem not a tax problem.   

Way to confirm the standing premise that the right wing controlled media seeks to inflate thier audience by conditioning them into believing those that disagree with them have an inherent defect.. in my case being from the liberal land of NY.

But one would have hoped your education would have conditioned you into looking for facts. The facts here are stark. We have both a spending and a tax problem. We have historically low tax rates that favor the investor class over those that work for a living. We collect less federal taxes as a percentage of GDP than history has shown to be prudent (the reality based number is 4-5% of GDP low). These tax rates were proposed as an experiment when we had a budget surplus, the claim was that they would actually increase revenue as a percentage of GDP. They didn't and the experiment is a failure, as it was when Reagan tried it. Reagan at least had the good sense to fix his own mess, unlike Bush who stuck with it until the end and kicked it down the road.

Obama got elected campaigning on raising taxes, you guys laugh at him as a tax and spender but his biggest departure from his campaign promises is that he has cut taxes instead of raised them. The vast majority of reality based people in this country understand that we need to both lower spending and raise taxes. The biggest way to lower spending in the short and long term is to control the rise in health care costs, everything else is peanuts. In the latest round of negotiations the democrats caved as usual away from what needed to be done and upto and past what republicans have agreed to do.. which of course caused the republicans to move the line again. They proposed an increase in revenue of what 30 billon a year and even that was really a huge increase in taxes on the middle class that would have been mostly offset by a huge decrease in taxes on the top 1 percent. Not worth the effort, reality would rather take the 1.2 billion in budget cuts and let the bush tax giveaways expire next year. Frankly I am surprised the democrats didnt cave as usual and did the right thing.. but dont worry they have the rest of the year to find a way to screw us all over.

So reality is that we spend 4-5% too much as a percentage of GDP and need to lower that...

Reality is that we collect 4-5% as a percentage of GDP too little in terms of taxes and we need to raise that.

The current class of republicans is insisting on no increase in taxes and has said that they would not accept even a 10 to 1 ratio of expense reduction to tax increases.

If you are worse off than you were 4 years ago that is not Obamas fault no matter how much you try to make it so. At best you can blame your last two years on him. It becomes increasingly apparent as days go by that reality is the republicans have been betting hard for america to fail over the last couple years and doing what it takes to ensure that happens. There is no give, there is no take (except in unlimited amounts from big corporate donors), and most importantly there is no reality.

As long as they can rely on people to look past the facts when they vote, donate, and rant on the internet what do they need reality for?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 2:36pm
numbers dont lie Joe, i never even heard of Obama until 3 years ago, its gonna take alot to convince me that he is the problem, more than these guys got in their bag
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 3:20pm

Many outside of the liberal land of New York view this weeks budget committee failure much differently. It took both sides to cause the failure. Many believe we have a spending problem not a tax problem.   

Way to confirm the standing premise that the right wing controlled media seeks to inflate thier audience by conditioning them into believing those that disagree with them have an inherent defect.. in my case being from the liberal land of NY.

Joe, I was not trying to confirm a premise or imply that you have any inherent defect. I was commenting on your sphere of influence, New york is dominated by liberal politics, along with the rest of both coasts of the country, and our school systems. When surrounded by one particular school of thought it tends to mold your own thinking and pressure those who disagree into silence. (You my have a conditioned defect, but not an inherent one)I was just trying to say other groups/ areas of the country view the situation much differently, and that your basic premise of the republicans being the ones at fault could be flawed. I was even open minded enough to say both sides deserve blame.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 3:53pm
You continue to make my point, rather than have to address arguments on merit you dismiss the source as flawed, or brainwashed, or otherwise irrelevant.

It is the same type of know nothingism that lends people to take the word of a news organization owned by an austrailian, and run by a former republican operative who has on his payroll every republican presidential candidate he can find as fair and balanced.

It is not open minded to blame both sides when one is clearly at fault it is infact a symptom of the conditioned defect you are trying to impose on me. One should not give equal time to inequal facts.

Besides which anyone who has done any traveling or research knows that upstate ny where I hail from is as red as NYC is blue. Which considering we have more cows than people is typical.

Personally, I have lived in VA and Michigan as well traveling and working extensively in many states and countries. I have seen the inner workings of large multinational corporations at levels very few ever will, but that experience is lost to you even as a data point among many that can be used to form your own opinions because you have been conditioned to distrust those from the coast lines because they are liberal.

Then you will run back to those fair minded bastions of truth the right wing media... tellers of truth and defenders of american liberties, . besides it makes you feel better about yourself because they tell you that your opinion is more worth while because you havent been conditioned like me.. and then you dont have to do your own thinking. Isn't fun being in the club so you can look down upon those liberal idiots though!

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 5:26pm
Joe, I did not say the source is wrong, just possibly myopic.

In 2008 the government collected 2.1 trillion in taxes and spent 2.9 trillion, which shows we were spending beyond our means. A prudent leadership Should have recognized this at this point and put the brakes on spending. That is what I did at my house. In 2011 we took in 2.17 trillion in taxes and spent 3.7 trillion. Lets recap,tax income up by about 3.3% spending up by 44%. Am I wrong to see this as a spending problem and the solution might be less spending? You may have a unique view point. When most of us see evidence of to much gas flowing through the carburetor we tighten the screws. You like to make the whole engine bigger so it can use the gas.   
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 5:41pm
why dont we look at it as a team, alot of the spending is due to the war on fat cat contracts, I never ever hear the dispute on the reasoning of why we send men into harms way to chase a ghost. you guys ask me am I better off now that Obama is in office? my question is are we better off since Sadaam and Obama are not around? how and why
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 5:56pm
Dave what you have said and what you have shown is you are biased. Those who cling to thier bias rather than examine facts are prone to be the tools of those who would seek to use thier bias to control them.

You keep talking about 2008 numbers and not 2009 number even though those are the legacy the last round of lower taxes and bought and paid for regulators left you. I got a great idea lets spend a bunch of money and lower taxes for 8 years, then we just destroy the global economy and then when the guy that comes in to clean it up has to spend money to do that we can blame the whole debt thing on him.

There is no amount of cutting taxes that is going to fix the ongoing health care issues, infrastructure issues, war costs, and pending real estate write downs that we are faced with.

But these are "facts" and they will get me no where arguing against "beliefs" and bias.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 7:03pm
Joe, when did I claim to not be biased? You can use this as a tag line if you want. "I Dave(OverMyHead) am a conservative, a conservative is on the right of the political spectrum so by the very nature of that, I am biased." Straight out of college I was a liberal, I did not vote for Regan in his first term. I did not figure out how great Regan was till after he was out of office. It was only then that I started to question what I had been taught because it seemed to contradict everything I was seeing with my own eyes. I figured out own my own what i saw to be true, and only later found out that what I believed lined up very closely (but not perfectly) with conservatism. The opposite or far left of the spectrum is a liberal, they are also biased. I have the intellectual integrity to identify my bias. Do you?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 7:08pm
If I hear one more liberal complaining about the spending during the eight years of Bush I will scream. You guys quadrupled the deficit in two when you had both the house and senate. Bush never had that kind of power, and by the way, he is a big tent guy. I would and did not support the medicare drug plan or any other growth in government. I don't remember democrats complaining about his budgets being to big (OK maybe the military's), only to small. again, a little intellectual honesty.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 8:08pm
Do you know how many programs were cut in the last 10 years to fuel the 3.6 trillion dollar war, it was something that wasnt even on the table, we robbed Paul to pay Peter, of course spending has doubled, we are in a war. we are paying for a war and trying to run the country. you need income to run a war.
its pitiful
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 8:16pm
Your guy said he would end it 3 years ago, so whats the deal?

I am just sick of deficit spending under bush being bad and the cause of a financial meltdown, but somehow deficit spending at 4 times the rate under Obama is the cure for the financial meltdown. Somewhere in there is a math Error. Again, this does not work at my house, we had to cut spending period.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 8:26pm

You keep talking about 2008 numbers and not 2009 number even though those are the legacy the last round of lower taxes and bought and paid for regulators left you. I got a great idea lets spend a bunch of money and lower taxes for 8 years .

Joe, I included the 2008 numbers because they are Bushes, I said that there was too much spending at that time, that I did not agree with. But it pales in comparison to Obama's numbers. Also the bush tax cuts increased government collections, raising taxes does not equate to a 1:1 revenue increase, and lowering them to a 1:1 decrease, there are all kinds of behavioral effects. And lowering taxes is not spending money. If I put my hand in your pocket and pull out a ten, I have collected ten dollars, If I put my hand in your pocket the next day and pull out a five I have now collected 15 dollars. Where did I spend?
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 8:32pm
alot of things were thrown into the mix Dave, war, housing, bail outs, oversea's spending, someone along the lines made a pact with the devil and its redemption time...you know the only hopeful would of been MCcain 3 years ago, I have a feeling if he was in there it would be identically the same. We cant cut spending, i read my weekly paper again this week, 6 million in cuts are needed to stay in the black for the school system for the next couple years....I really dont see any frivolous spending going on in my neck of the woods.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I really dont see any frivolous spending going on in my neck of the woods.

1987 Ski Nautique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2011 at 11:12pm
Dave thanks for confirming that you dont care about facts, logic, or reality and instead would like to keep reguritating the nonsense you are fed without any sort of reality intervening. It will keep me from wasting time trying to have rational discussion with you. If in the future you could lead off your posts with a quick disclaimer along the lines of what you offered above it will save everyone some time.

Dont worry the rest of us will save freedom, democracy, and capitalism for you, even as you keep pulling the lever in the direction you are told.

Its a good thing that there arent any real liberals left in the country, if there were between them and the you so called "conservatives" there wouldnt be anyone left to make rational decisions.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 1:10am
Joe, I seemed to have pissed you off and that was not my intent. I make it point to read everything you post because it is strongly argued and supported, but there is a ton of information and even more miss-information out there. I can strongly argue and support either side of any argument here with a quick internet search, It is up to us as individuals to do the research and stand for what we believe to be best for our futures. Like I say, I have nothing against facts and logic, they are what brought me to my conservative beliefs, that does not mean I don't pay attention to anything else, It just means I understand where I am at and I will be honest and not try to convince anyone that I am arguing from the middle. Have you ever read the book great moderates from history? It has not been written, moderates follow the polls, and stand for nothing. You have strong beliefs, and you stand by them which I admire. I have more admiration for Obama, even though I disagree with him, than I do for say a John Kerry for the same reason. Winston Churchill is credited with saying if you are not a liberal when you are young you have no heart, If you are not a conservative when you are old, you have no brain. Your still young Joe, I have hopes for you.

Dave
1987 Ski Nautique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 1:44am
Frankly Dave I don't have hopes for you to be anything other than a tool for the powers that be, when you want to be relavent again quit your biases and be open to facts. But I won't hold my breath, anyone who writes off the opinion of people because of where they live isn't likely to show much growth.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 2:21am
I was not writing off your opinion because of where you live, I am just stating that it was your opinion, and that in other parts of the country yours would be a minority viewpoint. I am not alone in my thinking, but as I live in the liberal land of Minnesota I am outnumbered and I see the effects of that. Being from Minnesota means you can assume a few things about me, and chances are many will be correct,and a few way off, no big deal. If I have assumptions about you is it not better to put them out there and find out if they are right or wrong, or should I be silently politically correct and never get my misconceptions addressed? You seem willing to write off my opinion because I identify myself as a conservative, and make many assumptions about me including that I am a "tool" and "not open to facts". Is anyone who writes off the opinion of people because of their stated political viewpoint likely to show much growth? I am politically at odds with a few of my own family members, it does not mean we write each other off, it just means that we have different view points.
1987 Ski Nautique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 2:43am
I didn't make you a tool, your willingness to give away your vote to anyone claiming to be a conservative even if their actions are not conservative makes you in fact thier tool.   Your willingness to believe what people tell you about huge swaths of the populace is why I discount your views as fundamentally trivial. It has nothing to do with the fact that you identify yourself as conservative. Bias against conservatives is something that Is as fictional as the war on christmas but if it helps you to feel persecuted go for it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 3:09am

I didn't make you a tool, your willingness to give away your vote to anyone claiming to be a conservative even if their actions are not conservative makes you in fact thier tool.   Your willingness to believe what people tell you about huge swaths of the populace is why I discount your views as fundamentally trivial. It has nothing to do with the fact that you identify yourself as conservative. Bias against conservatives is something that Is as fictional as the war on christmas but if it helps you to feel persecuted go for it.

Joe, lots of assumptions for such a short post, but if it makes you happy run with it. I vote for those that I believe will best represent my values and interests, rarely is anyone a perfect fit and most often I am voting for the least of two evils. That is the unfortunate state of politics, leading to my opinion of government that the fewer there are and the less power they have, the better off we all are.
1987 Ski Nautique

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 9:47am
"crazy on a ship of fools"   R Plant
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 10:10am
29 palms, I hear my voice on the radio R Plant
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic