NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gasoline leaking from overflow spigot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
iguana92 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iguana92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gasoline leaking from overflow spigot
    Posted: November-23-2011 at 2:11pm
I've had my boat winterized for about 1 month now and yesterday gas starting spewing from the overflow. It's been untouched in my garage so I'm not sure what's causing this.

I've been winterizing my boat now for 7 seasons and never had this happen. I always fill up the tank, but never top it off.

Any opinions on why this is happening?
iguana92
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 2:30pm
This just came up recently... but I forget the reason or the solution.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 3:37pm
Ok, these two threads touch on the issue. One solution is to add extra vent line and do a high loop:
Thead 1
Thread 2

Here's a product from Skidim that says it helps with the issue:
Ski Dim Fuel Vent

If you give the year and model of the boat as well as the engine, you'll get some better and more specific advice. The solution could vary depending on whether you're carb'd or fuel injected, size, shape and setup of your tank and fuel lines etc.
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by iguana92 iguana92 wrote:

I've had my boat winterized for about 1 month now and yesterday gas starting spewing from the overflow. It's been untouched in my garage so I'm not sure what's causing this.

It could be that it was cold when the tank was filled and has since warmed up causing the fuel to expand. This happened to me one year and is one of the reasons I don't top the tank off at the end of the year and instead I just treat the fuel that's left with stabilizer.

It could also be sitting un-level. This happened to Rob at GL last year
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 9:50pm
Most all fluids and gases(not refering to gasoline) have some rate of expantion. Most station's fuel pumps are designed to kick of prior to spilling out, howver every pump is diffrent. My guess is that that little or no space was left allowed for the fluid to expand. Temp changes play a big part. Is the boat covered? Indoors? Is the aft in the sun or near a source of heat? Is the wall near the aft on the south / west side? Weather changes?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 9:51pm
Sorry for the spelling, using phone.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2011 at 9:53pm
Try cracking or opening the fill cap a little and see if it helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic