Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pro-boss in a mustang?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pro-boss in a mustang?
    Posted: November-28-2011 at 6:30pm
Anybody done the conversion? I found a complete proboss351 with computer and I am very tempted to latch onto it and swap out my225hp pcm chevy to some ford power. Its complte belhouse to waterpump and manifolds how much of a pain would it be? can i use the same drive with the 351 bellhouse or did the 90s sn use a differentdrive unit? rotation be the same?

Sounds like a good upgrade to 310hp to get my but out of the water. 75 mustang btw.

Sean
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 6:37pm
Motor mounts will likely be different. Outlets on the risers will be in a different location and larger (3.5" vs. 3").

The biggest thing is the rotation difference... that Pro Boss is most likely a LH engine, which would spin a RH prop only when mated to a PCM 1.23:1 tranny. It sounds like that isnt included? If mating to the BW, you'd need a LH prop and that opens a whole different can of worms in terms of the boat's performance and handling. Get a serial number off the engine to confirm.

Is the Pro Boss carb'd or EFI? If EFI, is it TBI or Multiport? If the latter, the fuel system is a little different and would require some additional plumbing.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 9:11pm
Step out on the wild side!!! Do IT!!! :)
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 9:38pm
It's a 95 multiport gt 40 with computer. Would not be the dumbest thing I ever did but it sounds easier if he had the trans. Could just reverse the linkage and run i in reverse...
Boat Pics
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2011 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

It's a 95 multiport gt 40 with computer. Would not be the dumbest thing I ever did but it sounds easier if he had the trans. Could just reverse the linkage and run i in reverse...

And get a crate ready to send that trans to eric...
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 12:20am
the answer is no you can not reverse the linkage and run it in reverse. The transmission does not have strong enough internals on the reverse side to handle full loading. You can index the pump on the trans so that it works with a LH engine but it will always turn the prop the same direction the engine turns while in forward. The price of the pcm transmission may not be a deal a breaker but it does let in a few other costs like a prop change, driveshaft mod, etc.

It is a doable swap though.

If you decide to pass on the engine however let me know where it is as I have a 95 that could use an engine for the right price.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 10:21am
with a thousand bucks you could turn that 225 into a 375
"the things you own will start to own you"
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 11:53am
Your exactly right Eric, that would be logical and cheap to replace the 307 with a 350 and get the most bang for the buck. I however an a die hard ford guy and always wanted to have a ford motor in my mustang. It sounds like it would be easier to find a 351 donor boat of the same era and put the gt40 heads and intake setup on it if I really wanted to go that route. I probably ought to pass right now though, I need to finish the wifes boat this winter and get things off my list and the old mustang is not in dire need of the upgrade right now.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/boa/2719530494.html here is the listing on craigslist. everything there including the computer. I wonder agbout the scored piston with that low of hours, injector go bad? I found it while trying to run down some GT40 heads and intake for my wifes 90 mustang convertable. I can pick up heads anywhere though. Have at it Guys if you need it. Stryker is just a couple miles down the road from me just off the ohio toll road.

Sean
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 12:55pm
It is not that uncommon for the GT-40 marine motors to score a cylinder. I just went thru one with 1000 hours. 2 and 7 were scored and compression was down under 100 psi.

That is a deal on the Craigslist motor the tube upper intake make the deal sweet! wish it was closer to PC I would snag it!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 2:04pm
all your jingle jingle will bolt right onto a 350 or 5.7
its the extras that always kill you when you go from a 36c cup to a 32 a, new bra, shirts, ego
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 2:06pm
oops didnt see it came complete
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2011 at 2:43pm
Yea, thats the only reason I was considering it.
Boat Pics
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 10:45am
I found a complete 351 with trans out of a 79 SN and a gt40 351 motor last night for cheap, i may try and grab those this weekend and see what i can put together. to bad it would not have the marine computer that way but the holley and gt40 heads would be easier for me anyway. At the price they are asking I throw them in the motor rack for future projects.
Boat Pics
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2011 at 7:14pm
Geez, I wish I lived in Ohio...
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 12:51am
And it keeps getting better, looks to be an interesting weekend of chasing parts.
Boat Pics
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 1:08am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

its the extras that always kill you when you go from a 36c cup to a 32 a, new bra, shirts, ego

I think he wants to go up Eric not down
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 3:37am
Originally posted by KRoundy KRoundy wrote:

Geez, I wish I lived in Ohio...

used to...miss lots from there...not the weather!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 9:42am
just got a complete 5.7, doing a comp test today, low hours
its a volvo, you can pull the jingle, e-bay it and re-coup your doe
manifolds, pumps, brackets
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 11:04am
What kind of $? I am working a deal right now for a complete 79 351 sn with trans and everythign for $200 that needs rebuilt as well as a 351 gt40 longblock (lightning) and 3 other 351 long and short blocks for $200 more. Sounds like enough stuff to build up a 351 carb motor with the good heads and a roller cam setup that will bolt right in. and have enough stuff left over to let my son build a motor for the mustang (car) probably still have $1500 in it when Im done but everything would should be there to convert it to ford.

Not opposed to the 5.7, it would probably still be easier by many hours and cheaper in the long run. Sometimes its costly to be brand loyal... I almost bought a 5.7 of ebay in sandusky a few weeks ago, guy was selling cheap after replacing the pair when one blew.
Boat Pics
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 11:31am

Sounds like enough stuff to build up a 351 carb motor with the good heads and a roller cam setup that will bolt right in.

Careful! No such thing as a RH roller cam for a Ford 351w- so if you want to stay with a RH engine and all its wonderment, then you'll either need to 1)pony up big bucks (~$800-1000) for a custom RH roller cam (not including conversion parts, such as tie bar lifters), or 2)stick with flat tappet. Of course, you could keep the RH prop by mating a LH engine to a 1.23 trans, but thats not cheap either ($1700 from SkiDIM).

If putting a Chevy in where a Ford once was, you'll need to play with the mounts a bit as well.

My vote would be to build a RH bowtie powerplant for it... I know of someone who is putting in a RH 383 stroker in place of the original 307, and reusing all the accesssories. Id be doing the same!
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 12:28pm
My 93 lightning GT40 setup was flat tappet but my understanding is shortly there after they went roller. IF it is a roller gt40 motor I would be tempted to take the reverse rotating assembly out ot the 79 and plant it in the newer block essentially making it a reverse rotation pro-boos minus the injection at this point.I have not done all the homework yet but my hunch is most of the internals will be interchangeable, sometimes I ran into internal or external balance issues but 79 may be new enough to be the same.

Interesting line of thought, if it doesnt work out I will have another 351 for the car... and a lot of left over parts. I am kind of a motor horder at heart. I probably have more hidden away than i can ever use but my old pontiacs are getting scarce and I grab them whenever I can.
Boat Pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 12:37pm
just put the camera in the holes, looks good,
man i get alot of engines...............................they are on the garage floor for a reason, i pulled the block plugs and anti freeze came out.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Of course, you could keep the RH prop by mating a LH engine to a 1.23 trans, but thats not cheap either ($1700 from SkiDIM).

yup but donĀ“t forget you get a 10% discount using promotion codes so it ends up around $1500....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 12:47pm

My 93 lightning GT40 setup was flat tappet but my understanding is shortly there after they went roller. IF it is a roller gt40 motor I would be tempted to take the reverse rotating assembly out ot the 79 and plant it in the newer block essentially making it a reverse rotation pro-boos minus the injection at this point.I have not done all the homework yet but my hunch is most of the internals will be interchangeable, sometimes I ran into internal or external balance issues but 79 may be new enough to be the same.

Its not that simple. The rotating assembly could be switched from LH to RH- its the rear main seal thats rotation specific on a later 351w. The cam is also rotation specific- and like I said, RH roller cams arent off-the-shelf items like the RH flat tappets. Other accessories are also rotation specific- like the starter, and distributor (gear).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 1:09pm

My 93 lightning GT40 setup was flat tappet but my understanding is shortly there after they went roller.

I just rebuilt a 2002 GT-40 out of a Ski Nautique. No roller their, Flat tappet. 02 was the last year a GT-40 was available in A Correct Craft.
The Automotive version of the 351 went roller that last few years of production.

75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 1:19pm
The 79 is out of a nautique, the crank, cam gear and distributor are all reverse rotation. the crank should have the reverse direction wipers built in and the newer block might not have oil wipers. you saying that wont work in the newer block to reverse the rotation? Im not following yet. I realize you cant just switch rotation without changing the cam components and timming. It used to be the cranks had to be swapped as well due to the oil wiper groove direction.

The roller tappet thing is not really an issue either, A guy should really use the 79 marine block anyway, whole bottom end so you dont need to convert an automotive block over. just use the gt40 top end. reverse rotation roller cams could be a special order thing$$$. I love flat lifters, used them all my life
Boat Pics
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 1:27pm
I guess I do not understand what youre trying to do. Please try explaining again.

If youre trying to swap rotating assemblies between the 2 different style blocks (they changed ~1982), that will not work. 2-piece vs. 1-piece rear main seal style cranks and blocks must be kept together.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 1:37pm
The point is that no matter what you are trying to do it certainly can be done. With the exception that a reverse rotation roller cam would be very expensive for a sbf at this point. Although you would only need the Tie bar lifters if the late model engine you had was not roller equipped to begin with. Which sadly I do not belive the lightning engines ever were (conjecture was that it was not worth tooling the roller blanks for the higher lift/duration that the lightning had for the low volume so they continued to used flat tappet setups in the late model roller capable blocks) but as Jody states some 351ws in the last years of production were.. i have found the best bet to be broncos or f250's... f 150's seem to be hit and miss even to the end of the production run.

I called the guy with the GT40 a couple days ago... he has a buddy that maybe interested if he can find the cash. If not I will be running through your neighborhood on a procurement mission in the near future.   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 1:38pm
tang, you close to Port Clinton? i ran out of time yesterday and couldnt snag a GM Goodwrench (on the valve covers) 5.7 on a abandoned boat, the shts gotta go and im not going back up....a hundy to my buddy will get the motor, but you do need a way to lift it out,
i was using a backhoe and blew the motor yesterday, so thats out, call me if interested and i will connect you to my friend 330-322-8817
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 1:40pm
having re read that I think I was confusing... the lightning block if late model certainly could be converted to factory style rollers even though it did not come with them. However, by the time you buy the factory style lifters, dogbones, and spider and then drill and tap the block a good set of tie bars while still more expensive would not necessarily be a bad ideal.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic