Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pro-boss in a mustang?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 2:27pm
I blew a piston in my 93 lightning a few years ago with a little much boost. If I remember correctly we were able to drop in a 302 roller lifter setup with no mods. I would have to go back and check my records records but that was my memory of the deal. the machine shop i use gave me the lifters and we ordered a roller compu cam for it. Let me know if your out this way, be happy to met up.

I am at the west end of the toll road, probably 1.5 hours to port clinton, Dad used to keep his boat at lakeshore marina there. Not sure what year chebby changed exhaust ports, vortech heads need a whole different exhaust dont they?

Benj, not sure what im thinking till i get it all splattered on the floor but the plan would be either use the 79 sn motor and just swap the GT40 top end on, easy deal or use the 79 rotating assembly int he gt40 block if there was a compelling reason to do so. sounds like if the reverse rotation marine cam is only flat tappet, there would be no gain in going to roller.

in that case putting the gt heads on the 79 would be the best way to do the swap. If the motor does come with everything it would be a decent swap.

My head is starting to spin now...
Take your work seriously, not yourself.
Boat Pics
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by 75 stang 75 stang wrote:

Benj, not sure what im thinking till i get it all splattered on the floor but the plan would be either use the 79 sn motor and just swap the GT40 top end on, easy deal or use the 79 rotating assembly int he gt40 block if there was a compelling reason to do so. sounds like if the reverse rotation marine cam is only flat tappet, there would be no gain in going to roller.

in that case putting the gt heads on the 79 would be the best way to do the swap. If the motor does come with everything it would be a decent swap.

I would plan to use the '79 SN motor if youre dead set on switching to Ford. Assuming youre sticking with the carb, theres nothing special about the "top end" of the GT40 motor except for the heads. If youre going to spend the money to go through them, a fresh set of GT40p heads would likely be cheaper, and offer a slight performance advantage over the regular GT40's.

And no, you cant swap the rotating assembly from the '79 into the newer 1-piece style block (cranks cant interchange between the 2). Its not that there wouldnt be a gain going to a roller, its that RH roller blanks arent cheap to come by. Either way, Id plan on swapping in a warmer cam with the improved heads, even if its a flat tappet.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 2:43pm
I have read on the mustang sites that the GTp has a different spark plug angle and requires a different header on cars. not sure if that means the port shape is different as well for exhaust manifolds or if it was a header interference problem. I know the 3 bar heads will work and for $150 they are well worth picking up even if the motor turns out to be useless.
Boat Pics
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 2:51pm
Better do some more reading here on CCF!

The plug angle on the p-heads actually improve plug clearance significantly on our upswept marine exhaust manifolds. Theyre a very popular upgrade here- some have been running them for a long time (Im going on year 6).

$150 isnt a bad deal on used GT40's, but by the time you add a valve job (I paid ~$300 here for my last one) theyre every bit as expensive as a reman'd set of P heads. If youre ok with running them as-is, thats a different story.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 4:11pm
I have my own valve machine in the shop, its only the guides I send out if they are worn. My chebby manifolds are logs, i have not seen the ford ones recently, I will have to do a little reading here as you suggest.
Boat Pics
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 4:17pm
Having your own valve machine makes used heads much more attractive!

Regardless of log vs. pyramid manifolds, most still have runners that sweep upwards. A few styles come straight out (like Edelbrock) but theyre the minority. None that I am aware of sweep down (like a set of automotive headers) so that clearance issue with the P's goes away.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 4:32pm
mine are very straight out like the edl, omc manifolds.
Boat Pics
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2011 at 4:37pm
Good to know... still wont bother the P heads unless you can figure out how to mount them onto a Chevy block.
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 2:26pm
Are the pcm boat motors painted black? I got the 351s back to the shop and started looking them over and they are painted black with brass freeze plugs. my truck motor was not painted at all. make me wonder if these are boat motors with the late blocks and flat tappets in them.
Boat Pics
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 2:34pm
I believe PCM started painting their engines black sometime around 1994. Prior to that, they were silver (dating back to around '79 or '80).
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2012 at 3:03pm
They are 94 castings (F4) so that is probably where they came from, the one spare was silver so i bet they all came out of a boat shop of some sort.
Boat Pics
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 10:02am
i would venture to say no rollers either
"the things you own will start to own you"
75 stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2012 at 10:54am
correct, both are flat tappet.
Boat Pics
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic