NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A $12,000 Engine Upgrade!

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by levinmark levinmark wrote:

\ depth was pretty much a consistant 12' till you made it back to the channel where it went back to the 15'ish.

Dang, thats like skiing in the ocean for us! One end our lake is right around 4-5 with a soft bottom. Keeps the wallys from coming to that end but gets the platform dirty.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Wow, that is a lot of weight. Have you been skiing? I imagine that is going to be a huge impact on how you feel on the water.

No skiing, wanna make sure we're in the clear for a hard freeze. I am excited though, can't wait. I hope I have to order a new suit!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Ryan very good goal, good luck to you.
I can say having lost only 20 pounds I feel better and lighter on the ski already. I too am looking for another 15-20 pounds by the First of May.
The Big 450 hp motor is a cool option I have driven a 200 equipped with one but other then (again) the cool factor I cant see having one for my own purposes. The standard 409 six liter is a fantastic package as it is.

Agree,not sure what it would get on the top end w/ the right prop before it would "rev out". Can't justify the money if it's nto much. I would be happy with a 48-49mph boom boat though.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Probably not, I dont think theres enough of a market to justify. Ive said before that I think it would be cool if they introduced a 18-19' closed bow below the 200 in their lineup though. Strip it down and put Ski Tique graphics on it for the hardcore slalom skiers who want a no frills boat. Throw the 409 or 450 6.0L in it, add some Barefoot Nautique graphics and have a marketable barefoot boat. If the hull could throw a decent barefoot wake/table, a good slalom wake (a tick worse than the 200 would be alright), and a fast enough hull to run into the mid 50's with 400+ hp, I think that would be a pretty sweet combo. Heck, put some diamond pleated retro seats in it (front bench maybe?), a bunch of chrome, and put some Mustang graphics on it to sell it to weekend cruisers. A single hull could spawn several distinct models.

But it'll probably never happen!

I think in honor of being a former and long-term sponsered skier, his retirement, and getting out of the BF buisness they should make a Ron Scarpa Icon Edition! I'm sure there is an old mold laying around that could be tweeaked a little by some engineers over beers one weekend.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 6:30pm

Alan, I know exactly where you are talking about on the river, I've seen numerous boats go through that passage and I was always nervous due to not knowing the depth also. Then last fall we saw a big cruiser just passing through it slowly. After that we made a pass through and the depth was pretty much a consistant 12' till you made it back to the channel where it went back to the 15'ish. That place would be pretty ideal for a course. I'll be in touch as the weather turns for the better.

Hmmm. I was thinking Alan was talking about the other island where the water is only about 6ft deep, max. It seems a lot more popular these days than it used to be, but I've never seen a big cruiser pass through there. If another boat comes through from the opposite direction, especially a sacked out wakeboarder, your set is over, and you really need a quick turnaround in a small area for a pick up.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 6:49pm
Hey Scott, The channel or passage I'm refering to is when your heading towards Seneca from Morris, it would be on the righ side just after you pass a campground where there a few boats that tie up along the bank. If were talking about that one, that's the one I couldnt believe a crusier was going through, so I figured I would check it out. Maybe he is talking about a different one. You ready for the season yet?
levin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

not sure what it would get on the top end w/ the right prop before it would "rev out".

What the heck does that mean?

If propped appropriately to the power curve, then the ZR450 should be a few mph faster than the ZR409 in the 200 hull. Its purely speculation, but in looking at the specs, I would not be surprised if the difference was 45-46mph vs. 47-48mph with a footer.

If thats an important functional difference for you, then I disagree with Jody- the difference between the 409 and 450 would be more than just a "cool factor" in that case!

Personally, I hope a bunch of people buy 200's with 450's. That way I can find one when I can afford one in 10+ years. I'll take a closed bow in red/white, please.
scottb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 7:03pm

Hey Scott, The channel or passage I'm refering to is when your heading towards Seneca from Morris, it would be on the righ side just after you pass a campground where there a few boats that tie up along the bank. If were talking about that one, that's the one I couldnt believe a crusier was going through, so I figured I would check it out. Maybe he is talking about a different one. You ready for the season yet?

I guess we're talking about the same channel. I must go through there at low tide.

Yes, ready for the season to start!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 7:06pm

Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

not sure what it would get on the top end w/ the right prop before it would "rev out".

What the heck does that mean?

If propped appropriately to the power curve, then the ZR450 should be a few mph faster than the ZR409 in the 200 hull. Its purely speculation, but in looking at the specs, I would not be surprised if the difference was 45-46mph vs. 47-48mph with a footer.

If thats an important functional difference for you, then I disagree with Jody- the difference between the 409 and 450 would be more than just a "cool factor" in that case!

Personally, I hope a bunch of people buy 200's with 450's. That way I can find one when I can afford one in 10+ years. I'll take a closed bow in red/white, please.

Sorry, rev limiter.
Would blue on white be OK? I thought about all white with grey piping and call it "The Ghost"
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 7:09pm
[/QUOTE] Agree,not sure what it would get on the top end w/ the right prop before it would "rev out". Can't justify the money if it's nto much. I would be happy with a 48-49mph boom boat though.[/QUOTE]

You could DIY a performance upgrade. These LS Motors are as common as white bread. Summit has all kinds of aftermarket parts for the engine, cam and lifters, heads find the combination you want I am sure you could get your ECM reprogrammed and still be way under the mark up for the 450 hp motor... But!!! No warranty! or void any warranty's you have left. http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make/CHEVROLET/Engine-Size/6-0L-364/Engine-Family/Chevy-small-block-Gen-III-IV-LS-based-engines/Year/2009/Department/Engines-Components/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 7:21pm
Hey Mark and Scott we have certainly jacked this thread but yes That is the channel I was talking about , here's a google earth shot of the river, head the other direction from the rt47 bridge and check out the peacock slough area. Either of you guys been back there?

Ok back on topic.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 7:21pm
Joe and I have worked out an agreement- he gets first dibs on blue boats, I get the red ones. Blue/white is a clean combo though! PCM hasnt published a power curve for the ZR450, but if you knew where peak power occurred, and also knew where the rev limiter was (ZR409 is 5600, IIRC) then you could prop it appropriately to maximize top speed pretty easily. Are you considering going back to a closed bow?

Jody, Ive thought about upgrading a 6.0L. Tons of parts out there! I thought that PCM had the ECM "locked" (meaning it couldnt be modified without permission and would need to be replaced entirely). I know they put a lot of development time in dialing in the a/f curves- making a streetable, reliable engine with 450hp out of 370ci is pretty incredible. It would be a pretty big project to out-do what PCM has already done with that motor.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 8:13pm
Yeah, I apoligize for the thread jack. To answer your question Alan, No I have never been back there before. There are usually boats that are beached at the entrance, but I have never seen anybody actually back in the cove before. Might have to check that out, or stop and ask the beachers if they know about depths, trees, etc.
levin
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 9:26pm

Are you considering going back to a closed bow?.

Leaning that way, yes. Right now legally, I am a family of 1 w/ the option to upgrade to 4 real quick. From what I hear a 200CB w/ tower and 450hp would be a real rarity.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 12:31am
To stay somewhat on topic, you need a Vdrive Excel/Barefoot. Scrap the motor, beef up the transom and extend the interior then clamp on a Seven Marine 557.   Boom, 550 horse outboard barefoot boat!   Probably not anymore than the 200.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 12:49am
The outboard plan is a bit extreme, if he wanted a v drive excel/barefoot a small block ford stroker could be built a heck of alot cheaper than a big outboard that would meet all of his speed goals.

Seen it done, took the ride, got the tshirt.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 12:42pm

Jody, Ive thought about upgrading a 6.0L. Tons of parts out there! I thought that PCM had the ECM "locked" (meaning it couldnt be modified without permission and would need to be replaced entirely). I know they put a lot of development time in dialing in the a/f curves- making a streetable, reliable engine with 450hp out of 370ci is pretty incredible. It would be a pretty big project to out-do what PCM has already done with that motor.

Tim, If the project is MEFI-4or 4b The sky is the limit, their is plenty of software and re-programming equipment out in the aftermarket to build and tune a LS performance upgrade.
The Trick on a E-controlled LS would be to build with in available programming that either PCM,Indmar or Ilmore currently have available. However I am sure it wont be long before someone has the software and the ability to reprogram the E-control systems, it is inevitable.
Check this out!
http://mefituning.com/mefi-tuning-tools
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 7:23pm
It must be pointed out here that a Sanger DXII is every bit the quality of Nautique. Plus has a superior wake for barefooting, decent wake for wakeboarding and a decent wake for skiing. It has AWSA approval and ABC approval. Gelcoat is rarely if ever cracked due to the low humidity in California's central valley where many boat mfgrs are located.But you don't have to take my word for it. You can just look here.

Sanger

Sanger DXII

Sanger Super Scorpion

These articles should clear up any misconceptions.
This is the life
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

It must be pointed out here that a Sanger DXII is every bit the quality of Nautique. Plus has a superior wake for barefooting, decent wake for wakeboarding and a decent wake for skiing. It has AWSA approval and ABC approval. Gelcoat is rarely if ever cracked due to the low humidity in California's central valley where many boat mfgrs are located.But you don't have to take my word for it. You can just look here.
http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/2001/06/14/sanger-dxii/#

proper link #1

http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/2001/06/14/sanger-20-dx-ii/

proper link #2

http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/2001/06/14/sanger-dx-ii-ss/

proper link #3

These articles should clear up any misconceptions.

It must be pointed out here

That you still need to learn how to link on CCfan!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 7:53pm
Alright alright I was just lazy
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 11:04pm
Andy, I agree that Sanger has come a long way. I would just be hard pressed to think that they are equal to what CC or Nautique are have or are putting out. That still does not waver my interest in a DXII, in fact I have a quote working right now.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 12:10am
Here's a little known fact: Sanger, due to the racing heritage, has no horsepower limitations on the hulls.

I have years of experience in both a BFN and some time in a Ski and in various Sanger inboards and outboards and some Malibus, Flightcrafts, and Mastercrafts. The Mastercraft fell apart pretty quickly. I have run a BFN at 45 mph over 5 foot rollers getting the boat airborne a few times, we had to get back through a strong current running into a 20 mph wind (The Potatoe Patch). I seriously thought we were gonna die too, we all had our drysuits on ready to bail out. But the boat took the beating no problem plus it was after Siepels school put 3000 hours on the hull, during the 454 rebuild even after we warned the shop they still put the pistons in wrong and had to redo it.
   I won't ever say CC/Nautique does not build quality and after years in Sangers and taking them apart and putting them back together it is plain to me that Sanger has every bit the quality of CC. Go for a ride in a Sanger and the solidity of the hull is apparent in the ride. Don't get me wrong stuff does break or wear out with ALL boats. Any uncared for boat will rot.

We use our Sangers for barefooting, no skis in the boat except shoeskis, walk arounds, or flip turns.

The Sanger website videos have Scott Pellaton walk you through the builds to show how the quality is built in. You will rarely ever see two sangers exactly alike. They will do whatever you want(almost).

Of course, this is all opinion but it is based on firsthand use and close inspection and observation including input from a Marine repair shop (Topside Marine).

I don't know anyone that has a Sanger that does not love it.
If you get a Sanger you won't be disappointed.    

This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 12:52am
Spoke to Scott this last summer. It was him or Chuck that suggested hitting one of the promo guys up this year at Waco for a few minutes of wheel time. Let's just say I was far from impressed with the response.(attitude). Might have pulled the trigger then otherwise.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 3:39am
I know it's harder to find the boats in the east/south to test drive. Keith St.Onge, after skiing my old boat (377 Super Scorp DXII), bought one that he had in Florida. Mike Frankenbush, Robert Tuerzenbacher(sp?) each have Sangers they use at their barefoot schools(Roberts might be for sale). Although KSO has 3 outboard Sangers now. Sanger does have the best wake out there if you're going to do barefoot wake slalom and want to ski tournaments.

That article in waterskimag showed the SS was a 3500 upcharge, what I heard was it was a 10k upcharge from the base motor.

This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 10:46am

I know it's harder to find the boats in the east/south to test drive. Keith St.Onge, after skiing my old boat (377 Super Scorp DXII), bought one that he had in Florida. Mike Frankenbush, Robert Tuerzenbacher(sp?) each have Sangers they use at their barefoot schools(Roberts might be for sale). Although KSO has 3 outboard Sangers now. Sanger does have the best wake out there if you're going to do barefoot wake slalom and want to ski tournaments.

That article in waterskimag showed the SS was a 3500 upcharge, what I heard was it was a 10k upcharge from the base motor.

My Dad us use leave next door to Robert. My aunt use to be married to him a long time ago.. I saw his Sanger las time I was down to visit. I am far from a tourney footer, but have skied a DXII and loved it.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 12:43am
Won't be getting the 200, leaning now towards the DXII.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 1:28am
There is a guy over on barefoot-forum.com who posted pics of his all black DXII Barefooter build (I would never go all black but Sanger will do whatever you want)you might take a look over there.
Here's one of the pics.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 1:30am
The engine 6.0L

This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 2:07am
Great! Now I'm going to be up all night!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic