NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A $12,000 Engine Upgrade!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A $12,000 Engine Upgrade!
    Posted: December-05-2011 at 1:12am
Entertaining the idea of a new SN200. Asked about the new PCM XS550 for the direct-drive config. Just about $hit myself when the local dealer told me it was a 12,000 dollar upgrade! I'm sure someone will by it, but my 409 sounds pretty good right now. Guess Jody was right about cubic inches and cubic dollars!
...those who have fallen and those who will.
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 3:30am
That's nothing the tdi that MC had for a few years was a 30k upcharge over the standard 5.7
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

1986 CC Ski Nautique 2001
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 9:53am
My understanding is you can only get that engine in the 230, did your dealer tell you they could get the 550 in a 200??
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 9:56am
yes.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 10:21am
What about the new ZR 450?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 11:47am
Im guessing that he was confusing the 450 and 550. The 550 is a bigger upgrade than $12k (almost by a factor of 2) and is not available in anything but the 230. Thats direct from the mouth of PCM.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 2:14pm
I thought it was a bigger $ figure as well, but don't see why the ZR 450 should be that much of an upgrade.   I thought it was just a slightly tuned ZR 409.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 2:58pm
Can you still get the 409 in the Nautique 200?

Nautiques.com 200 makes it look like you only have the option of the 343 and the 450. So, I don't know if that's a range or just the only two options.

Interestingly, I noticed that Sport 200 only offers you the 343 and the 409... no 450.

As long as I've followed Nautique, it seems like they've always been a little funny about publishing engine info. Even there boat builder tool only lets you mess with colors and stuff, not your engine options. Most car/truck sites the engine options are right on the surface.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Can you still get the 409 in the Nautique 200?

Nautiques.com 200 makes it look like you only have the option of the 343 and the 450. So, I don't know if that's a range or just the only two options.

Interestingly, I noticed that Sport 200 only offers you the 343 and the 409... no 450.

As long as I've followed Nautique, it seems like they've always been a little funny about publishing engine info. Even there boat builder tool only lets you mess with colors and stuff, not your engine options. Most car/truck sites the engine options are right on the surface.

Yes, you can get the 409 in the 200dd. I believe youre correct that the 409 is the top offering on the 200 Sport.

The upgrade from the 409 to the 450 is not insignificant- I think list is somewhere around $5-6k... consistent with the $12k total cost to upgrade over the 343.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 3:31pm
weight watchers is cheaper
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-05-2011 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

weight watchers is cheaper

Agree, but the 200 is a slower hull.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2011 at 7:42pm
Yeah about 6k list to a 409, another 6k list to a 450 depending on stuff. Can't get the 450 in a vdrive at this point cause it would porpoise at speed and that is not considered acceptable nautique ride quality. Price of a 550 if you have to ask you can't afford it. These are not increases out of line with what you would expect relative to the cost of the boat. What is a measly ten percent of the cost of the package amongst friends.. .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 7:22pm
Was told today the 450hp would take a 200 out of AWSA consideration. I guess that is somthing to think about as far as resale or trade one day down the road
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Was told today the 450hp would take a 200 out of AWSA consideration. I guess that is somthing to think about as far as resale or trade one day down the road

Who told you that?

The 200 with the ZR450 is shown on USA Waterski's list of Approved Tournament Towboats for 2012:

2012 Approved Towboats
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 8:16pm
Power Power Power !!!!
Come see Go Go The gorilla hit the Jump ramp at 95 mph behing the new "Nautiques 200" Powered by the Supercharged XS 550 Yeah !!!
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by SN206 SN206 wrote:

Who told you that?

The 200 with the ZR450 is shown on USA Waterski's list of Approved Tournament Towboats for 2012:

2012 Approved Towboats

Interesting. Thank you for that info.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 11:36pm
The goal here is a 50+ boat and a upper 40's boom boat. I have entertained the idea of a DXII, but can't imagine the quality being close to a CC / Nautique. The AWSA qualification was told to me by a men's open slalom skier(anonymous) and versed in Nautique. I have however, taken HW's advice and have dropped 36lbs since January. Guess the thought of more horses and a one off 200 has me reeling. My luck though, Nautique will roll out a committed BF boat as soon as I decide to pull the trigger.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 12:36am
What? No more ranch dressing on potato chips.
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 1:02am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

What? No more ranch dressing on potato chips.

LOL! No, we're talking having to eat absolutely nothing that tastes good. The worst is your mouth watering every time a beer commercial comes on! The goal is to loose 60lbs before April 9th.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 12:03pm
Wow, that is a lot of weight. Have you been skiing? I imagine that is going to be a huge impact on how you feel on the water.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 12:34pm
Ryan very good goal, good luck to you.
I can say having lost only 20 pounds I feel better and lighter on the ski already. I too am looking for another 15-20 pounds by the First of May.
The Big 450 hp motor is a cool option I have driven a 200 equipped with one but other then (again) the cool factor I cant see having one for my own purposes. The standard 409 six liter is a fantastic package as it is.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 12:44pm
Ryan and Jody.... Great job guys! That's not an easy feat so congrats to both of you!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 1:24pm
Sounds like everyone's getting serious about skiing this year, I'm down 18 lbs since Jan 1 and regretting selling my size large barefoot suit now. Never thought I'd get into it again, LOL. Also with the help of a CCfan picked up a used Slalom course so I'm determined to have fun even if it kills me!!!
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 1:42pm
Alan, that pretty sweet to have picked up a course, just curious, where are you going to put the course at? You guys have a lake around where you live?
levin
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by levinmark levinmark wrote:

Alan, that pretty sweet to have picked up a course, just curious, where are you going to put the course at? You guys have a lake around where you live?

Mark, Unfortunately I don't think we can drop it in the river unless we find some place out of the way of barge traffic. There is one area behind one of the islands south of rt47 I'm going to check out but I'm afraid of water depth. I've seen boarders go through there a few times but I've never checked it out myself. Otherwise I was going to set it up early mornings at Lake Clinton. It's a portable Insta Slalom so if there's anyplace near you to use it we'll be there in a heartbeat.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 2:52pm
Will Nautique ever make a dedicated Barefoot boat? What would be the best thing to make if they did? smaller, narrower inboard? little quick outboard? Another BFN? I guess the markets too small for a full hull change when you can just put a 409 in a ski huh?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 3:03pm
Probably not, I dont think theres enough of a market to justify. Ive said before that I think it would be cool if they introduced a 18-19' closed bow below the 200 in their lineup though. Strip it down and put Ski Tique graphics on it for the hardcore slalom skiers who want a no frills boat. Throw the 409 or 450 6.0L in it, add some Barefoot Nautique graphics and have a marketable barefoot boat. If the hull could throw a decent barefoot wake/table, a good slalom wake (a tick worse than the 200 would be alright), and a fast enough hull to run into the mid 50's with 400+ hp, I think that would be a pretty sweet combo. Heck, put some diamond pleated retro seats in it (front bench maybe?), a bunch of chrome, and put some Mustang graphics on it to sell it to weekend cruisers. A single hull could spawn several distinct models.

But it'll probably never happen!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 3:03pm
Yep, old barefoot boats die hard. Even the DXII is just an old ski hull.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Probably not, I dont think theres enough of a market to justify. Ive said before that I think it would be cool if they introduced a 18-19' closed bow below the 200 in their lineup though. Strip it down and put Ski Tique graphics on it for the hardcore slalom skiers who want a no frills boat. Throw the 409 or 450 6.0L in it, add some Barefoot Nautique graphics and have a marketable barefoot boat. If the hull could throw a decent barefoot wake/table, a good slalom wake (a tick worse than the 200 would be alright), and a fast enough hull to run into the mid 50's with 400+ hp, I think that would be a pretty sweet combo. Heck, put some diamond pleated retro seats in it (front bench maybe?), a bunch of chrome, and put some Mustang graphics on it to sell it to weekend cruisers. A single hull could spawn several distinct models.

But it'll probably never happen!

^^^ all of this I love. That'd be righteous.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 4:56pm
Alan, I know exactly where you are talking about on the river, I've seen numerous boats go through that passage and I was always nervous due to not knowing the depth also. Then last fall we saw a big cruiser just passing through it slowly. After that we made a pass through and the depth was pretty much a consistant 12' till you made it back to the channel where it went back to the 15'ish. That place would be pretty ideal for a course. I'll be in touch as the weather turns for the better.
levin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic