Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Acme 540

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acme 540
    Posted: December-07-2011 at 7:55pm
I'm going to be upgrading the prop on our 2001 in the spring and I wanted to get feed back on anyone that is using an Acme 540 on their SN 2001. Based on its specifications it should give considerably better performance than the stock 13x13 that is on the boat now.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

1986 CC Ski Nautique 2001
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 7:57pm
correct
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 7:59pm
LOL, try a search... very popular upgrade. Id say that its the prop to have on a 2001 (1:1) as far as all around performance goes. There are a few other options if you run heavily weighted.

Disclaimer: I dont own a 2001, but have driven many- including a few with 540's. I run a cut down 540 (1210) on my Skier, and will be running a 540 on my '80 Ski Nautique next year... so Im *almost* qualified to comment.
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 8:17pm
Yes, I know its a popular prop I would just like to hear from people running it as to what they like about it.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 8:23pm
In my experience its quicker out of the hole by a good margin, and holds about a 1mph advantage up top as compared to the stock 13x13 Federal. Its also smoother than the hand finished props and bites harder in turns. The (2) 2001's Ive driven with it spun spot on 4400 RPM, so right where you want to be.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 8:33pm
It feels like a new boat over the MW Federal. Those with Legends don't seem to notice the same difference.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 8:38pm
I've got one on my 86. Better hole shot, pulls great, way better than stock, close the throttle and its kinda like putting on the brakes.
I'm happy with it and recommend it as an easy up-grade.
The boat also has ported GT 40p heads,roller rockers, Cam Research cam, Weiand Steath intake ect...
I think Acme runs a winter deal in January on all there props.

Tims a little modest he knows as much about props as anyone and a crap load more than me.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 8:54pm
I *think* that is the prop I have in my boat. I threw my 250+ pound friend on the floor once by accelerating quickly. He said something stupid and I had to get him back...

The hole shot on my boat is nopthing short of amazing. It's like it's shot out of a cannon. Granted, I don't know how the boat would act with the stock prop...but I', 95% sure I have a 540.
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:15am
Are you using the boat mostly for skiing? Seems like the 540 is definitely the way to go for that application. I upgraded to the Acme 542 (slightly lower pitch) on my 2001 from the stock Federal 13x13 this summer as we use the boat mostly for wakeboarding with 1100lbs or so of ballast on board. HUGE difference over the stock federal, much better holeshot and holds speed better WITH ballast than the stock prop did WITHOUT. I love it! I've also driven and skied behind Mark Mel's 77 Nautique with the 540...was very impressed...also awesome holeshot and pulled great at both skiing and riding speeds. I would say that if you do any footing, you probably want to go with the 540 and not the 542. We did a bit of free skiing with the 542 on my boat and it seemed ok for that as well, certainly awesome holeshot for skiing. I have a bone stock PCM 351 for power.
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:00am
I run a stock 351 in my 87 2001 got the 540 last year. Wow comes to mind. Hole shot is significantly better. MY son said after his first trip with it that it used to rise out of the water, now it leaps. I gained about 1 mph over my old federal. Runs about 44 mph at 4300 rpm. seems to have a little more bow rise than before but not anything significant. We run about 750 pounds of ballast with 3 or four guys in the boat as a maximum load. Usually less. The 540 gets my highest recommendation, Although we never really felt the boat was not powerful enough with the federal, I still wish I could have bought it sooner. One should fit down a chimmney just fine .
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 3:24am
seems to have a little more bow rise than before but not anything significant.

Bow rise on acceleration, or a more bow up trim angle? The 540 has a 7 degree rake while the Federal is 0. I was hoping to gain a little bow down trim angle with that prop.

The boat is general use, the MC is the primary slalom boat, but it is probably 60 40 wakeboard to ski usage for the 2001.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 3:38am
Originally posted by MIskier MIskier wrote:

Bow rise on acceleration, or a more bow up trim angle? The 540 has a 7 degree rake while the Federal is 0. I was hoping to gain a little bow down trim angle with that prop.

The boat is general use, the MC is the primary slalom boat, but it is probably 60 40 wakeboard to ski usage for the 2001.

In my experience subtle but both. I have never heard this from anyone else. Maybe just me or my boat?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 9:53am
yes the 540 and 542 rise the bow, it's the nature of the animal. It seems the OJ does not and even the old Acme (4 blade) 208 didnt.

I've had a 542 on my 80 for 3 years now.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 9:56am
Matt, I bought a 540 last year for myself when Delta Props offered us CCFans a sweet deal on new props. I was very pleased with the results and improvements that the 540 made on my 88 and wished that I had done it sooner. Here is the link of my results after I put it on about this time last year. If you decide to get one I promise you that you'll be glad you did.

'Miss Scarletts' 540 performance results
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:29am

Generally speaking, Acmes tend to run a little more bow high at speed. If you want to plant the bow, get an OJ. The Acme will be the better all around prop in terms of the boat's performance though (holeshot, speed holding, top end). Planting the bow will give you an incrementally better slalom wake... but the 2001 is not exactly the best course boat out there either way. A little bit of weight in the bow would likely accomplish the same thing.
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Generally speaking, Acmes tend to run a little more bow high at speed. If you want to plant the bow, get an OJ. The Acme will be the better all around prop in terms of the boat's performance though (holeshot, speed holding, top end). Planting the bow will give you an incrementally better slalom wake... but the 2001 is not exactly the best course boat out there either way. A little bit of weight in the bow would likely accomplish the same thing.

I had looked at the OJ's as well but I specifically asked both companies if the prop was raked to allow for a more bow down attitude. Acme is a Michigan company so I was going to favor them, but not if they are going to give me inaccurate information just to sell a prop.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:55pm
What information are you considering to be inaccurate?

Positive rake = aft rake = bow lift, no? I know that Acme's have a bunch of aft rake, which also has the benefit of increasing prop to hull clearance.
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:02pm
I had asked for a prop that would bring the bow down, asked how many degrees of rake it had, and the 540 was what was recommended. I guess I didnt even think to ask if the rake was forward or aft with the questions that I had asked.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:18pm
If Im not mistaken, all of the Acmes Ive had my hands on have a good bit of aft rake. Relative to the other props they make, you may not have many options on how much rake you get. My guess is that they made their recommendation based on what would perform best on your boat... which is why they pointed to the 540. I cant envision even the worst salesman (or product engineer) saying "Oh, you should go buy an OJ" when posed with your question. Its part of being an informed consumer!

As far as the offerings from OJ go, they will have 13x13's in both 3 and 4-blade flavors. They do not currently offer any 1:1 RH props in their XMP line though, so you'll only have the hand finished option. Theyre not bad performers, and may help bring the bow down a little vs. the Acmes, but theyre a tick behind performance-wise, IMHO.
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:29pm
I agree with the fact that they are not going to tell me to go buy another brand, but I did tell them specifically what I was trying to do with it.

OJ is what I'm familar with since MC uses them as their sole prop provider.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:30pm
Now, Over-My-Head has an 87 and Ml-skier has an 86, slightly different weight distribution there, right? Not sure if that's relevant here, but you may not both be coming from the same baseline. Both boats start off with the same OEM prop?

Also, lifting the bow slightly could increase top end performance right? How about wake-boarding wake? It seems like most wake-boarders are trying to get their sterns squatted a bit.
MIskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:40pm
If anything the 87 and up 2001's would have slightly more weight at the bow due to the reconfifured cockpit.

I'm looking to get the transom up to help the slalom wake some.
2006 MasterCraft PS 190

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:43pm
Brian, that is correct- the '87-88 boats tend to be ~2mph slower than the 82-86 versions, probably because of the forward weight shift (dash, driver, etc). Stock props should be the same on both, though (13x13 Federal/Michigan Wheel), and thus, should be affected similarly by swapping to a 540.

Yes, the slight bow-up attitude that the Acmes lend is probably what gives them their 1mph advantage up top. The difference is VERY subtle though- I cant say Ive noticed it myself- and I like to think Im fairly aware of such things.

Ive spent some time in a course behind a 2001, and I can tell you that a prop change isnt going to transform one into a world class slalom machine! If you want to really make a noticeable improvement in the wake, try lightening the boat up. Joe has reported that his '83 has a much improved slalom wake after going on a diet. Short of a full structural rebuild, keep the gas tank below half and maybe put a few lbs in the nose of the boat. SkiBum also tried adding a temporary lip to the keel and had some success in getting the boat to plant the nose and improve the wake... too much will make the boat bow-steer at speed.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 9:27pm
a good propeller repair shop could tune the acme for you so it lifts the transom a little.

Also the 4 blade 208 might do the trick as there have been some members stating the wake was softer with the 4 blade.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 11:07am
Luch, how would a shop go about changing the prop to make it lift the transom? Certainly theyre not going to alter the rake.

Im also curious how a prop changes wake hardness... perhaps you mean the firmness of the rooster tail? I can see that changing as a function of pitch (more prop RPM at a given speed = firmer rooster).
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 12:08pm
Tim if I knew I'd run a propeller shop, but it can be done, propeller tuning is an art that GOOD boat race mechanics know how to do.

Different blade shapes, diameter and surface area, rakes and hull cleareances, give the hull a different running angle, a different running angle makes different wake shapes. The rooster tail is a way of telling how the prop/hull combo are working.

Now there are limiting factors such as hull type, prop pitch, reduction gear, rpms etc, as you stated acme is the better performing prop but that doesnt mean there's more fabric to cut in the topic.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 12:38pm
The 208 does have slightly more pitch than the 540, 12.5 vs 12.
http://www.acmemarine.com/prop-list_ski-boat.php
Whether or not that would lower the RPMs enough to soften the wake, I'm not sure.

That was one of the reasons for the creation of the 1.23:1 vs. the 1:1, right? To lower the prop RPM and therefore soften the wake?
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 1:22pm
Wouldn't the prop still have to turn at the same rpm's as before the 1:23:1 to reach speed? If not mistaken, I thought the 1:23 was to get a better hole shot, similiar to MC's "Power Slot".
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 6:07pm
David, two boat at a given speed, say 30 mph, the boat with the 1.23:1 transmission will have a lower propeller RPM than the boat with the 1:1.

But, the propeller on the 1.23:1 boat will have more pitch on the propeller to make up for the slower RPMS.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 8:23pm
Per the sales brochure, the 1.23 was adopted to improve hole shot, top end & fuel efficiency!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic