Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Waxing your Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waxing your Boat
    Posted: December-07-2011 at 9:53pm
Do you guys wax your boat ? My brother in law keeps talking about it like a car, unsure of its virtue on gelcoat. Thanks
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 10:16pm
I had a wise man tell me one time that after you pull it out of the water wipe it down dry them lightly use some pledge to shine it up.
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 10:17pm
Dr.Steven how about a picture
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 10:36pm
Sweet77, it's been submitted to the diaries section, I do not have a nice photo like your's on the water, I have one on the trailer. It will be next spring until I am able to get a better picture, winter is here. There are 5 photos attached to my first post thread a few pages back.
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 10:40pm
Great, welcome aboard this is a great site. will keep a lookout for a pic coming soon
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2011 at 11:50pm
Interesting tip there Halston, I like the idea. Lemony fresh! I wax my boat at least twice a month in the peak of the season. It makes a huge difference. I would say more so than on a car. I also buff it in the spring.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:06am
Wax is essential to preserving the gelcoat on your boat - without it, the gelcoat will oxidize, causing it to fade and become porous. Once the gelcoat becomes porous it will stain as well. A well-waxed boat is much easier to keep clean with a quick wipe down after hitting the lake. I like to use a heavy wax like Collinite's Fleetwax or 3M ultra performance paste wax - I find that way I only have to wax about 2x a season and just spot detail in between. But really, any wax is better than none - I know guys who swear by regular old automotive Turtle Wax. I find waxing the boat kind of therapeutic. Remember the Karate Kid...wax on, wax off!!
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:14am
Originally posted by 76tique 76tique wrote:

Wax is essential to preserving the gelcoat on your boat - without it, the gelcoat will oxidize, causing it to fade and become porous. Once the gelcoat becomes porous it will stain as well. A well-waxed boat is much easier to keep clean with a quick wipe down after hitting the lake. I like to use a heavy wax like Collinite's Fleetwax or 3M ultra performance paste wax - I find that way I only have to wax about 2x a season and just spot detail in between. But really, any wax is better than none - I know guys who swear by regular old automotive Turtle Wax. I find waxing the boat kind of therapeutic. Remember the Karate Kid...wax on, wax off!!

That's what I meant

My gelcoat was neglected for many years before I got the boat so it needs a lot of wax to keep it fresh looking. I always towel it off at the end of the day. I enjoy doing it too.
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 7:42am
I also wax my boat about 2x a season.
I use Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax and am very pleased with it.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 8:25am
Fresh wax is worth 1-2 mph too.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 10:06am
Most members here will tell you that ABSOLUTELY wax the boat. Make sure that the wax you use is comprised of Carnauba.

Carnauba waxes possess natural protective systems. That means the wax properties expand when exposed to water while diffusing the sun's ultraviolet rays. These natural attributes mean that once the wax is applied to your boat it will protect it from further oxidation and preserve a magnificent, rich brilliance for the rest of the year.

I'm one of the many anal guys here on the site that will wipe down the boat EVERY time she leaves the water both inside and out. Making sure that 'Miss Scarlett' has a good coat wax on her makes the wipe down process quick and easy.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Most members here will tell you that ABSOLUTELY wax the boat. Make sure that the wax you use is comprised of Carnauba.

I agree that you should wax the boat (I shoot for once a year), but disagree on the carnauba. There are many synthetic waxes on the market these days that I have found to be better- they go on easier and last longer. Collinite is one of them... the Liquid Fiberglass Boat Wax (#925) and the Insulator Wax (#845) are excellent- pretty sure theyre the same thing, just marketed differently. You can get it locally at Napa, but its cheaper on ebay.

I buff with a wheel every few years, but wax by hand with a microfiber cloth.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I agree that you should wax the boat (I shoot for once a year), but disagree on the carnauba. There are many synthetic waxes on the market these days that I have found to be better- they go on easier and last longer. Collinite is one of them...

Collinite is a brand name. If you go to the companies website and read their description of marine waxes they'll tell you..."Safely removes embedded contaminants, provides carnauba shine and lays down a durable coating of weather-protection."

I interepret that as they use Carabuna in their product but in a user friendly liquid. Maybe I should have said ..." Make sure it contains Carabuna."
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:24pm
+1 on Collinite #925.   Awesome stuff!
Doug
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:25pm
I interpret as providing a shine like you'd expect from carnuba. If you come out and say it has carnuba I'd then know what it shines like...
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:26pm
You kids and your new fangled waxes.
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:27pm
Yes, I realize Collinite is a brand name, Ive bought the stuff! I dont know exactly what their synthetic formulation consists of.

I do stand corrected though- per their website, their products "contain copious amounts of wax-both rare Brazilian carnauba and premium synthetic polymers."

I would still say that you dont need a pure carnauba wax.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:29pm
Like the v-drive threads, I should stay out of the detailing ones too... That wording is sure strange.
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:34pm

Pledge with beeswax all natural
76 Nautique

"An empty wagon makes t
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:35pm
I use Poor-boys products. I got the tip from a member on Planet [rugdr]
He is about as anal as you can get about his boat. I do a full take apart,clean,wax and polish when I winterize it takes about 3 days to complete.Its a three part system and a real PITA to put on but the results are worth it. During the summer we wipe down after using and a clean and 1/2 detail as needed. Its is a real bee och to keep the interior clean with this GA red clay.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:32pm
I use the Fleetwax once a year and do wipe downs with Babe's Boat's Bright. It leaves a waxy finish also.

DrStevens is that a Rainbow Nautique, BTW?!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:41pm
We usually Wax in the spring. We do however use a 50/50 vinegar/water spray bottle mix after every outing to get all the waterspots off the boat. I have always assumed though that this mixture helps take the wax off. But..it's worth it to have to wax more often and not have water spots to us.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:52pm
I suppose things can vary greatly with water content/quality, but Ive found that water spots come off easily with a quick wash (car wash soap) and dry. That wont strip the wax.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:53pm
You're right Tim...but I'm not gonna pull out the 5 gallon bucket and use someones hose from their cabin at the boat ramp after every ski practice

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:01pm
We use Collinite's #920 followed by #885 fleetwax paste wax. It holds up well and supposedly makes the boat a little faster .
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

You're right Tim...but I'm not gonna pull out the 5 gallon bucket and use someones hose from their cabin at the boat ramp after every ski practice

Water spots only occur if water is allowed to dry, right? Would wiping it dry at the ramp solve your issue?
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:22pm
Bri892001, Yes it is a 1978 Rainbow Nautique, I may be able to get a better photo this weekend as I am going to move the boat to have some engine work done. I am going to redo the graphics when I decide what to do with the gelcoat, need to figure out how to make a tracing of the graphics. I know I could get the gelcoat to look better with a wet sand but I hate to sand to graphics all off and start over
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Water spots only occur if water is allowed to dry, right? Would wiping it dry at the ramp solve your issue?

Nah, windows are dry spotted, top of the gel, etc etc...some spray works wonders.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:28pm
Ahh, I see.

Do you rain-x the windows? If not, I highly recommend it.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 2:30pm
Yup yup, it's awesome. We usually keep a really clean boat, but any water spot annoys me. I even spray the ole jet ski down after a little back water cruise.

The spray works really well though if anyone else wants to give it a shot. Every time the boat goes back in the garage it looks like it was just detailed. I'm sure all yours do too though
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic