NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Don't see Many Spyders anymore

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don't see Many Spyders anymore
    Posted: December-08-2011 at 12:58pm
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:07pm
I don't think I've ever seen one...that's hideous. Is it shorter than the FCT? It looks like it is.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:07pm
oddly enough i really like that tower
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:09pm
They made them for about a month i think

Mainly for like trick skiing and what not...I've hear some head bashing horror stories from them though. I would kill myself on it every time out of the seats I think.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:11pm
I think they were only available in '03. Agree on the head bashing- it looks pretty likely with that thing!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:18pm
Don't see how it's any more in the way than a bimini.

Oh, and it's Spyder tower.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:19pm
A bimini has give when you smoke your face on it HW. And thanks for error correction
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:23pm
If it came on and off that'd be nice, but fixed like that no thanks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:25pm
Is that a CC product or aftermarket?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:28pm
Factory!

I used to think they were so bad ass

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 1:31pm
woof

do you think they planned it so that the legs of the tower would follow the lines of the hull graphics?
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:22pm
Didnt mastercraft market something similar to that not too long ago, called it the mini tower or something?

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 12:58am
I like the lines of it< on that hull!
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 12:59am
Head banger I agree
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 11:44am
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Didnt mastercraft market something similar to that not too long ago, called it the mini tower or something?

Mike

Yep- except it had the same lines as the full sized tower. I know they offered it on the 197, not sure if any other models got it. The smaller tower looked better on the slalom boats, at least compared to the full size tower. Still prefer my slalom boats tower-less though!
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 12:44pm
I've always hated towers on Ski Nautiques but that is pretty damn cool.
Doug
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 1:32pm
IIRC that was originally made for Ski-Fly. I think it looks great- for a tower on a ski boat.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 1:45pm
I kinda like it. If it had some kind of integrated bimini, it would be pretty sweet.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 2:05pm
In conversation with some of the design/engineering team at CC one fine day they brought up the spyder tower as an anecdote illustrating the importance of having the designers and engineers be able to sign out boats and use them early and often for thier intended purposes. It was basically viewed as a disaster that they should have forseen before it got out the door because as mentioned above it was virtually impossible to naturally get into and out of the drivers seat without banging your head unless you were quite short. But it sure did look good on the drawing board.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 3:10pm
Some of the best designs out there are a pain in the @ss to use. Try getting into and out of a first generation Vette! But you sure look good once in it. I like this tower and I bet you would only hit your head 127 times before you remember to duck when sitting down.
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 4:04pm
You would be surprised how quickly your muscle memory kicks in for situations like that, having had very low tower biminis that were "head bangers", after a couple mind benders you never give it another thought. Not quite so easy for your guests however, lol
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 4:25pm
The last two Ski fly boats we had were equipped with spider towers.
I still have scars and lumps from them!!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 4:46pm

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 5:00pm
Do you know what boat show that was? This is probably the same boat but shown here on a DHM, so it made its way out West.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 5:03pm
Not sure what boat show HW, stole the pics fair and square from a google search. :D
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 5:22pm
You guys sure they're the same boat? Looks like they may be different colored towers to me.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 5:23pm
Yea I thought the towers were diff color too Chris
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 7:47pm
I'm not sure it's the same boat, that brochure page shows gelcoat colors.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 7:48pm
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 7:55pm
I initially thought it had to be two separate boats myself. But then, if you look at the lighting, it's darker overall in the boat-show picture and the other one is in bright sunlight. So it very well could be the same boat. Everything else is ssoohhh close.

I will need to take possession of the boat next summer to fully examine the color scheme and functionality of the tower
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic