Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Proof, not all Mustangs have rotten stringers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 12:24am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Dang, missed being clueless by 13 minutes!

Don't worry, your statement is evidence that you didn't missed nothing.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 1:13am
OK, I admit it, I am having fun busting on you guys too.
In all seriousness I have examined the bolt holes and there is no evidence of epoxy or filler. The thread impressions in the wood are clean and undamaged, with no evidence of epoxy. The wood shows no sign of rotting. I used a small bearing puller to gently scratch the wood threads to be sure that they weren't filled with epoxy and redrilled. I came out with a clean sliver of wood. I will do more exploration, but at this point it looks very good. The foam I core sampled was from the area between the primary and secondary stringers just forward of the exhaust hose, and the area between the secondary stringer and the side of the boat just forward of the gas tank pad. While not the ideal areas, they can be checked easily without removing the floor pan. These areas in my 69 Mustang were totally saturated and would splash if struck or pried. The foam in front of the exhaust hoses is discolored by bilge fluids and dirt, but is dry. I will know more later when I get into it further and core sample the sides of the stringers should I decide to remove the foam. At this point I am tempted to leave the foam in it since it is original and appears good. Here is a photo of one of the bolt holes. It was hard to photograph and tit appears white in the photo, but that is due to the intensity of the light I used to illuminate the hole. It'sreal color is a yellowish brown.
It is good entertainment to throw a few barbs back.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Gary, Those are perfect, but they look like they are only useful for square heads? The only square heads I've ever encountered have been on these old boat's engine mounts. I guess they wouldn't be the first very occational use tool I've bought since getting boat crazy.

I guess by being in Maine Bruce you aint no farm boy Back in the old days you would seem to run across square nuts and bolts on farm equiptment for some reason.You used to be able to buy single ones at Sears,for your use you only really need the one size.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 1:54am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Doesn't anyone have square headed Velvet Dipsticks?

And dang Gary that 8-point socket is HUGE!!! Measures
2 1/2 inches on my monitor!

I do! but I just use an adjustable on it. I was just playing with the macro setting on my camera per that post from the other day
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Gary, Those are perfect, but they look like they are only useful for square heads? The only square heads I've ever encountered have been on these old boat's engine mounts. I guess they wouldn't be the first very occational use tool I've bought since getting boat crazy.

Bruce,
Gary may have gotten that 8 point out of his work truck! Take a look at al the bolts on a utility pole sometime and I think you will find plenty of square heads!!

BTW, square head lags made of silicon bronze were the standard at one time in quality built boats. They are real hard to find!! I need some for my launch restoration and it's a problem. Even square head hot dip galvanized are hard to find - I may have to look in the bins in Gary's truck!! The hot dip would be an alternate.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 10:36am
I guess we'll re use the square heads to keep it original! Gary, no farm boy here, I thought those square heads were left over from the 19th century along with rough cut nails.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 11:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

BTW, square head lags made of silicon bronze were the standard at one time in quality built boats. They are real hard to find!! I need some for my launch restoration and it's a problem. Even square head hot dip galvanized are hard to find

Pete, I think you've taken the "Keep it original" statement up a notch. I think I'd sacrifice a litte original and put in a hex head stainless bolt.

On the issue of what tool to use on a square bolt I say use a open end wrench to break it loose then once it's not so tight use a 12 point. If you use a socket first then yes, you risk rounding off the corners then you'll be locked into using a open end or worse a Cresent. If you got 8 points then they'll be better and if you are looking to get a set of tools for the boat then try a Pawn Shop. Sometimes you get lucky and pick up a nice set of tools really cheap.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

BTW, square head lags made of silicon bronze were the standard at one time in quality built boats. They are real hard to find!! I need some for my launch restoration and it's a problem. Even square head hot dip galvanized are hard to find

Pete, I think you've taken the "Keep it original" statement up a notch. I think I'd sacrifice a litte original and put in a hex head stainless bolt. .

Tim,
You're cool with the hex heads due to the age of your boat! However, probably not with the stainless.

The square heads were being phased out I'd say in the late 50's. My Atom has squares. A hex head lag is one of the items looked for when judging under ACBS guidlines. Using hex heads will cost a point deduction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2011 at 2:18am
An adjustable works but an open end that fits is even better. With the long square sides you can put a lot of torque on either to break them free. If you need a socket to get at it I'm pretty sure you can still buy a single 8 pt. socket just to fit that size.

I have the square head velvet dipstick. I don't over-tighten it and it removes easily with a large adjustable.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic