Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Proof, not all Mustangs have rotten stringers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proof, not all Mustangs have rotten stringers.
    Posted: December-08-2011 at 6:23pm
I have been obsessing over the 70 Mustang I picked up about 2 weeks ago. I have read all of the stringer rebuild posts I have found, and have looked at 6 Mustangs in my quest for the right one, and they all exhibited some degree of stringer rot. I was expecting to find the same on the 70 I just bought and planned to use it for a couple years and then do the stringer job.
I have removed most of the fittings and I sent them to the plating shop. I decided to look for the buried bad news today. I took a small core sample of the foam and found it to be completely dry. Pleased by this I checked the engine mounting lag bolts and they were all very tight. I removed one to examine it for corrosion damage and rotten wood. This is what I found.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 6:49pm
Better quick put it back!   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 6:51pm
And my boat goes 65mph!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 6:55pm
n interesting footnote to this is that I located and talked to the PO that owned it from 1981-2000. He said that his kids put about 150 hours/year on the boat for quite a few years. I now believe that the rot is not related to use, but to lack of care. He also said that they took very good care of it.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 7:10pm
And possibly replaced the original lags with longer, prettier ones at some point?

I have seen some boats in pretty good shape and that is one of them but off the top of my head that bolt dont look 42 years old. However I have been wrong before (a couple times this week even)
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 7:16pm
The PO probably changed lag bolts at the end of every season.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

And possibly replaced the original lags with longer, prettier ones at some point?

You never know when or where it may be lurking.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 7:23pm
You guys are great. I'm going to remove my lags, fill the holes with epoxy, and put new ones in when I go to sell it.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

The PO probably changed lag bolts at the end of every season.

And probably a little longer each year, just so they grab, until it turns into one of those urban legend boats you hear about that end up screwed to the trailer and the (new) owner doesnt know about until he goes to launch it.

Such as...
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You guys are great. I'm going to remove my lags, fill the holes with epoxy, and put new ones in when I go to sell it.

LMAO
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 7:56pm
They aren't all rotted. That bolt does look really good for 41 years old. Here's one I pulled out of the 66 Barracuda last week which looks darn good to me.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 8:21pm
Bruce notice the square drive head as opposed to the hex head, yours is original John's is not and from here John's looks like it could be stainless. I don't think they used stainless back in 70 because most bolts I've seen come out are about 1/2 the diameter they were when they went in.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 8:43pm
Good point Alan! I didn't even notice that. Stupid question, but what is the best kind of tool for a square head?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 8:49pm
12 point socket ?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

until it turns into one of those urban legend boats you hear about that end up screwed to the trailer and the (new) owner doesnt know about until he goes to launch it.

Larry, I can vouge for the urban legend. Actually saw it in person. Was at the ramp helping a guy. He could not get his boat off the trailer. Checked for tie down straps, bow straps etc. Could not figure it out until he tells me that he just recently installed new seats...and nailed them right through the floor, hull and onto the trailer. Use long enough nails there Butch?

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 9:04pm
I would say those are stainless also and def not orignal, my skylark had pretty solid wood where the motor is and very good to the rear but the front under the seats the wood was almost nonexistent ..I hope yours is better.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 9:05pm
also john note the washer marks where the old square heads were
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 9:13pm
I was amazed at the lack of rot in mine. The bolts were definitely loose and there was a lot of rot at the top of the stringers but they were still securely attached to the hull of the boat. After all those years of wet foam and the P.O. leaving it out in the elements uncovered, I figured it would have just all been mush, but it wasn't.

If the factory job held up that well for 42 years, mine should last forever Hopefully.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Bruce notice the square drive head as opposed to the hex head, yours is original John's is not and from here John's looks like it could be stainless. I don't think they used stainless back in 70 because most bolts I've seen come out are about 1/2 the diameter they were when they went in.

I agree that they have been replaced and by the length, the PO was looking for something to grab onto.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

12 point socket ?

Actually they make a 8 point for Sq. heads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 10:34pm
I think I have 12 points and they round the corners of the bolts that are hard to break free. 8 points? More tools to buy!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:18pm
Here you go Bruce,here is what they look like.I snagged a whole set from my father in law's tools. By the way my boat has a square head and a hex head in each motor mount,same length and size and no washers but I know my motor was out before I got it.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:19pm
I pretty much agree that none of you have a clue!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

They aren't all rotted. That bolt does look really good for 41 years old. Here's one I pulled out of the 66 Barracuda last week which looks darn good to me.

Looks,very similar to mine. Funny, the same person must have worked on both of my Mustangs since they both have the same length hex head bolts.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:32pm
Dang, missed being clueless by 13 minutes!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:33pm
Gary, Those are perfect, but they look like they are only useful for square heads? The only square heads I've ever encountered have been on these old boat's engine mounts. I guess they wouldn't be the first very occational use tool I've bought since getting boat crazy.
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

You never know when or where it may be lurking.
   Hay    I pulled that guy out of one of my separators
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2011 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I have been obsessing over the 70 Mustang I picked up about 2 weeks ago. I have read all of the stringer rebuild posts I have found, and have looked at 6 Mustangs in my quest for the right one, and they all exhibited some degree of stringer rot. I was expecting to find the same on the 70 I just bought and planned to use it for a couple years and then do the stringer job.
I have removed most of the fittings and I sent them to the plating shop. I decided to look for the buried bad news today. I took a small core sample of the foam and found it to be completely dry. Pleased by this I checked the engine mounting lag bolts and they were all very tight. I removed one to examine it for corrosion damage and rotten wood. This is what I found.
    John where did you take your sample of foam from?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 12:02am
Doesn't anyone have square headed Velvet Dipsticks?

And dang Gary that 8-point socket is HUGE!!! Measures
2 1/2 inches on my monitor!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2011 at 12:10am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Dang, missed being clueless by 13 minutes!

Don't worry, your statement is evidence that you didn't miss it at all.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic