Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4344454647 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 2:47pm
12 hours and counting. Will this ever end?
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

12 hours and counting. Will this ever end?

Short answer----NO
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2019 at 3:06am
Here is the 7 year update on the Mustang project. I likely have no competition for the longest project but life keeps getting in the way.
Beautiful day in Chicago today so I put in the last few hours of grinding. Worst job EVER! That foam is very hard to grind off the fiberglass and the gel coat in the bilge isn't much easier. It looks good to me now, but I'm no expert.
I have two sheets of Coosa to get started and will be laminating the stringers next week if I find time.I'm using the original stringers as templates but cutting the new ones down 1/2" to get the correct floor height. I hope that works. I left some tabs of the original floor as leger boards to get the floor to the correct height since I'm not going with foam. I made brackets that drop onto the leger boards with pins to hold the stringers in the proper position. I plan on buttering the stringers with thickened epoxy and pressing them into place and making a filet joint. I hope that works out ok. Is there a preference out there for using Cabosil or micro balloons for this?
Most of the components have been rebuilt and I have a long winter in front of me. If I don't finish it for this coming summer my wife, Jan, may call 1-800-got-junk to haul it away. I was very lucky to pick up a spare glass windshield from Steve Workman. I want a back-up since I am not good with anthing fragile.
I'm trying to decide whether I should rattle can the engine or send it in. This thing is to drive and ski with. I'm not convinced it's worth the money to have a daily driver engine professionally painted.
Here's where I stand at garage closing time tonight.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2019 at 9:37am
Looking good John, amazing that the more time you have on your hands the more busy you are! We will have to get together when I get back in the spring,I'd like to see your progress.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2019 at 9:47am
I wouldn’t blindly cut 1/2” from the stringer height... that only needs to happen in the areas where the floor mounts over them. Engine compartment should maintain full original height. I assume you’ll be scalloping the stringers in the mount areas (cradle through bolt clearance)? Figuring out how to support the floor where it cannot go over the stringers will be the most complex part of the new structure, but not too difficult.

Rattle can will be fine, that’s the route most go and it holds up well if you Prep and prime properly.

That gel sure is shiny!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 3:16pm
I'm ready to start cutting and laminating. Before I make a mess of my Coosa board I would like to know if there's any reason to use cloth between the layers when I laminate the stringers. I would think that slathering on slightly thickened epoxy and clamping would do the trick,

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 4:07pm
I used a layer of cloth only. It should improve screw retention.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I used a layer of cloth only. It should improve screw retention.

The rolls of cloth "tapes" work great for this - standard epoxy, wetted tape - very little cost adder - probably cheaper than putting on enough thickened epoxy to squeeze it out and ensure uniform adhesion.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2019 at 6:10pm
John,
I'd like to add that at the butt joints where the Coosa outer "skin" is interupted, the layer of cloth will strengthen the butt joints.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 9:24pm
Layout, the moment of truth. Lets see what I can do with a couple of flat sheets of plastic.
I think I can make them 1/2" shorter (height not length) than the originals and make it work. I'll think on that as I lay it out tonight.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2019 at 10:51pm
It appears to me that laminating the 2X12-12' Coosa boards and cutting the stringers from them is the way to go rather than tryng to cut the stringers to shape and laminate them. cutting the boards wastes a little more material than a pattern layout on the 4X8 sheet, but I think it is easier for an ametuer like me. If someone has a better way LMK. Cutting tomorrow with luck. .

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 1:49am
Laminated my first stringer this evening. I'll do the other one tomorrow then try to cut and shape them in the next few days.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 3:09pm
Looking good John. Is the resin kicking off in your temps? At least you don’t have to hurry and have it kick off before your ready.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Looking good John. Is the resin kicking off in your temps? .

Gary,
John's down south in the Chicago area for the winter and not up in Manitowish that had -27 F. this morning. It was warmer here with a -23 F.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 4:17pm
Talk about cold - the Miami homeless shelters were putting out warnings last night because of the 59 degree temps. Mean while I was out at midnight wearing out impellers and oil in the Atlantic watching the eclipse
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 5:36pm
Thanks Gary, it's going pretty well. I have the temp set to 70. I wouldn't want to try it outside, was about 5 here last night.
I'm using the US Composites 635 3:1 epoxy that Tim recommended. I thickened it with Cabosil and it took about 60 minutes to go off. Easy stuff to work with but I squeezed out more than I used for bonding. I really notice the weight difference between Coosa and the wood stringers even before trimming them. I'm bonding the second one in a little while. Once again thanks to everyone who contributed for all the help.

Keep warm up there Pete. Our shack up north is cold and empty waiting for the return of the snow birds.
One possible regret on this project. It may have been wise to use the aluminum Flo-tek heads and aluminum intake to keep the weight to a minimum in this project.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

One possible regret on this project. It may have been wise to use the aluminum Flo-tek heads and aluminum intake to keep the weight to a minimum in this project.

Great weight savings Lighter is better   IMO

1978 Mustang (modified)
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 8:21pm
That looks fantastic Duane. After looking at the flow charts for a bunch of aftermarket aluminum heads, the Flo-tek looks ideal for for these engines that rarely, if ever, turn past 5K. How do you like it? Did it liven it up any or are you just looking for the weight savings? It's a little late for me. I had the engine rebuilt with the original C8OE Holman Moody heads, but some Flo-tecs and a DUI distributor may be in my future after I spend some time using it like this. The Mustang is pretty light and should perform well with the originals.Fingers crossed i'm not disappointed.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 8:31pm
John,   I did so many upgrades to the engine that it was hard to tell which item made the difference.     100% performance rebuild.   The added horsepower plus the pounds that I was able to shave off really made the little boat perform.   Lots of fun to drive.   Top end is great (nearly 60)   but the biggest difference was the acceleration.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 8:31pm
More is always better but the stock engine will move that boat.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 8:39pm

More is always better but the stock engine will move that boat.

Very correct Tim. Boat needs full attention at high speeds.   Stock is plenty.
BTW cant't get the video to work, maybe just on my end.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2019 at 11:21pm
The video works for me. Maybe the boat was just so fast that you missed it?! 😉😉
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 2:52pm
Today's question:
Should the stringer ends be bonded to the transom like a rock or will this cause a stress point that will result in the gel cracking. It originally had a very poorly done stringer to transom joint. Same question about the floor. Bond it to the hull with a filet joint or just use some cloth on the top seam like they did originally with a layer or two of cloth over the foam? I have read both opinions. What is the prevailing opinion here? I'm going foamless with a Coosa floor.
Anyone?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 3:06pm
A few layers of cloth on a loose fitting (leave 1/8” away) floor to hull wall joint.

I’d be inclined to bond/fillet the stringers to the transom the same way they’re bonded to the hull... but I’d like to hear others opinions on that.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 3:22pm

A few layers of cloth on a loose fitting (leave 1/8” away) floor to hull wall joint.

I’d be inclined to bond/fillet the stringers to the transom the same way they’re bonded to the hull... but I’d like to hear others opinions on that.

Agreed on the floor for the same reasons presented here many times over the last 10 years - got 10 hard years on a boat that give me no reason to change my thoughts on it.

The transom connection is unlikely to be an issue just about no matter how you do it. Its relatively thick, there aren't huge spans to worry about and you arent likely to back into a pole all that often. You don't even have the wave slap or cycling loads on the transom you can see on the hull or sides. I don't bed the ends or worry about making them super tight fitting but the glass between them and the hull was pretty significant.    

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 3:46pm
Second question of the day. I intend to thicken the epoxy to a peanut butter viscosity mixture to bond the stringers to the hull. Would it be best to use cabosil, micro balloons, or milled fibers to thicken it. I used cabosil to laminate the stringers and it takes more than I anticipated.
Last question of the day, I promise.

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 3:54pm
Cabosil. You can add milled fibers for addl strength if you’d like. We used both but the cabosil is what really thickens the epoxy. We went through more cabosil than anticipated but luckily it is the cheap part (shipping is where they get you).
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2019 at 7:23pm
I like milled fiber for strength, but the cab makes for the nicest (stickiest) consistency- with less of a tendency to run as it cures. I’d probably opt for a combination of the 2 for structural work in the future.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 8:13am
Late to the Party on this one but here is the breakdown on resin additives:

Milled Fibers - Used to thicken and reinforce resins typically used to repair solid laminates

Microballons - Very small hollow spheres used to displace resin and lighten the potting compound. primarily used as a filler.

Cab-o-sil - Small circular plates of silica added to thicken composite resin. Cab-o-sil is typically added to prevent resin from sagging and used to bond components together.

Granted this is straight out of a Aircraft composite training manual but perfectly applicable for marine use.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2019 at 11:47am
How come boats with horizontal cracks at the water line also have a separated floor?

No floor to hull bond = bad

Strong floor to hull bond = bad?

Light floor to hull bond = good?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4344454647 54>
  Share Topic