Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 6:02pm
I just got my first batch of chrome back from the plater. I only took in some of it so I could assess the quality before I committed to having everything done at this shop. I am very satisfied. 3 week turn around time and the parts look beautiful. They did this whole batch for $225.00. The windshield hardware was in pretty bad shape, but it looks better than I would expect it to look new. I will be taking the rest of the stuff in later this week.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 6:10pm
John, I just sent you an email about the chrome!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 6:11pm
shiny
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 6:17pm
Wow that's nice! And looks to be a great price.

My windshield hardware is not chromed, it's aluminum. I think my lift rings are stainless? But my scoops, step pad trim, and emblem (i lost one) could use a rechroming.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

My windshield hardware is not chromed, it's aluminum. I think my lift rings are stainless? But my scoops, step pad trim, and emblem (i lost one) could use a rechroming.

You must have different hardware for your windshield than either of my Mustangs. The pieces in the photo are all originally chrome plated, however the two windshield brackets (not pictured) that go between the center piece and the end pieces are brushed aluminum and not plated. The windshield frame is polished aluminum. The lift rings are steel and are chrome plated. Everything except the lifting rings are cheesy die cast (pot metal) and chrome plated. All of these parts, and pretty much everything he does, is triple plated. First it is copper plated, then nickel, then chrome. It should hold up really well. He showed me some Chris Craft hardware he had in there. It is really well made, not pot metal, and it is very heavy.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 6:50pm
Chrome Chrome Be Bop A Re Bop !!!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 7:20pm
My window frame and hardware are brushed aluminum. I have the one piece window.

One of these days I might have to mail your guy my parts.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 7:25pm
Wow John! I may have to send him a box to stuff!!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

My windshield hardware is not chromed, it's aluminum. I think my lift rings are stainless?

You must have different hardware for your windshield than either of my Mustangs.

Vondy, I believe you have a Water Bonnet windshield- same as I have on my Skier. I think John's 2-piece windshields are Taylor Made. I believe that would account for the different hardware.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 7:47pm
John,

What kind of shape were they in to start. Just dull, or were any of the parts pitted?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 8:01pm
Thanks for the lead on the plating shop John, I estimate that's about $400 worth at the shop I currently use and he's 6 weeks.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 8:26pm
dffgd

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

John,

What kind of shape were they in to start. Just dull, or were any of the parts pitted?

I had two sets of most everything and I took both sets in for the plater to examine. Although one was in somewhat better condition than the other, he said it didn't matter. He said the cost would be the same and the finish would be identical. He told me that die cast (pot metal) is harder than heavy pieces like the fittings from Chris Craft boats. The problem you run into, he told me, is the loss of detail, or possibly creating a hole in the item if it is pitted deeply and he has to take off a lot of metal in the acid bath and buffing prior to plating.

It is a trip going there. On the counter there were parts from a Whirlitzer juke box, a Schwinn Stingray, a pair of Olds 430 Valve covers, motorcycle parts ect. It seems that a lot of "restoration shops" just send everything to him. Almost all of his business is thorough the mail and he has customers all over the country. It is a small shop with about 4 or 5 employees and does not do production work as far as I can tell, just individual piece plating. I am lucky to have him in my home town.

Here are photos representative of the pieces I sent in.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 9:12pm
Looks great John. Looks like I will be collecting some parts and sending them his way. I'll be sure to mention your name when I call!!!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

I think no foam is more time consuming as you have to make all those supports but foam is more expensive

Justin on the old Mustangs you don't need the extra support. Mustangs and American Skiers,and I'm sure some others, didn't have foam until it was required,stringer lay out seems the same between foam and no foam.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 9:36pm
Those look great. He does nice work! I've got stuff I'd like done, too. Let's not send him too much at once or he'll go up on his prices.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 9:44pm
that stuff is beautiful
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 9:50pm
He has had great prices for more than 25 years. In this economy I don't think he has any thoughts of raising his prices. The three week turn around time is quicker than usual, so I wouldn't worry about overloading him or missing out on the prices. He is probably just working hard to keep busy like most of us.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I think no foam is more time consuming as you have to make all those supports but foam is more expensive

Justin on the old Mustangs you don't need the extra support. Mustangs and American Skiers,and I'm sure some others, didn't have foam until it was required,stringer lay out seems the same between foam and no foam.

I agree that the 60's hulls are thick enough to handle a no foam stringer job.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 10:09pm
John, That chrome job looks fantastic! It takes BIG time hours to get pitted die cast back to original.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I agree that the 60's hulls are thick enough to handle a no foam stringer job.

At the same time, adding an extra support rib or 2 may not be the worst idea... if nothing else, it would provide some extra support for the floor panels (especially at the seams).
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 10:24pm
The reasons I'm considering foam are;
Originality
Floor support
Flotation.
The Hull on a Mustang seems pretty stout, and the roughest day on my chain is a nice day on the Chicago Ocean. Foam seems like an excellent way to support the floor on a Mustang. The fiberglass floor pan doesn't have much strength and I don't want it to develop stress cracks. I have read the arguments on several sites and many threads. My opinion is that either way is OK as long as it is a quality job.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 10:57pm
Chrome looks great John. Alan I'm assumeing you are still using Super Fine? I'm still waiting for my vents and I sent them waaay before John sent them to his place.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 11:36pm
I am crying because I got my stuff done in just nickel because that is what I had locally. Guy was crazy as a hatter and his work was not the best, however it was cheap. Would love to get my exhaust tips done in real chrome. You probably just backed this guy up for the next 6 months with all the business he is going to get out of CCF.

Cool how everybody brings something different to the table on this site. I cannot tell you how many so called salesmen I have educated on their own products because of what I have learned here. Like the kid telling me VR-1 was only synthetic, or the guy at the marina who had never heard of wax hardener for gel coat. I said you have got 5 pints of gelcoat and no hardener so you are missing out on another $100 in sales. They are out of business now, Go figure!
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2011 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

The reasons I'm considering foam are;
Originality
Floor support
Flotation.
The Hull on a Mustang seems pretty stout, and the roughest day on my chain is a nice day on the Chicago Ocean. Foam seems like an excellent way to support the floor on a Mustang. The fiberglass floor pan doesn't have much strength and I don't want it to develop stress cracks. I have read the arguments on several sites and many threads. My opinion is that either way is OK as long as it is a quality job.

If your planning on putting the fiberglass pan back in, I would definitely foam, it's not very solid just sitting on the stringers and few existing supports. I dug my foam out a couple of years ago and when with just the floor pan, it was not sturdy.

If my pan was any good, I would have looked at putting in a bunch of ribs and no foam. That way I could pull up the pan and air it all out, not have to ever worry about rot. I do love my nice rock solid plywood floor though.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 12:00am
John - Here is Roger's thread where he also tested foam for water soak. Great minds think alike!

Foam test
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 12:41am
[QUOTE=vondy]
If your planning on putting the fiberglass pan back in, I would definitely foam, it's not very solid just sitting on the stringers and few existing supports. I dug my foam out a couple of years ago and when with just the floor pan, it was not sturdy.
QUOTE]

I would agree BUT, there is no more support under the piece between the motor box and rear seat than the rest of the floor. They solved the problem by bonding plywood to that floor pan right? Same too with the toe board. I think that I could bond new wood to the whole pan,what do you guys think? Here is the piece I am talking about-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 2:28am
Anyone associated with the site sell Trident silicone exhaust hose? I want to replace mine. I believe this is a good choice.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 4:21am
Gary, bonding wood to the pan is an interesting idea I had not thought of. It seems very practical if it can be done with no voids or warpage. It would allow the floor to be held down with screws in the original holes and it would be minimally noticeable, retaining an original appearance. It would also be nice to be able to pull it up for inspection or problems. It is something to seriously consider. I agree with Vondy, there is no way the pan can support much of anything. The area under the seat frame in the back has very little strength and one must take care not to put any weight on it when the rear seat frame is out. If you have any thoughts about how to hold the pan and wood together during the bonding I would love to hear them. Possibly you could use the existing holes where it is screwed to the floor and the seat mounting holes to screw it to the plywood in addition to a bunch of clamps. I would be pretty nervous making that bond knowing I could ruin a very good floor pan. I have another one, but as you know it has a big hole in it for the console. After seeing what you have done with your Mustang I was inspired to leave mine as close to original as possible. that is why I called this "not another Mustang restoration", it is more of a refurbishment. I also need to finish it by spring. I really want to have "Theseus' Paradox" shaken down and ready for Green Lake.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2011 at 11:15am
Whether you refoam or not, I would say you most definitely need to put a dedicated floor back in- and not just rely on the floor pan. That pan is THIN! Surely it would flex under foot if unsupported, and would end up full of stress cracks (it is mostly gel, after all). Personally, I would not try to "beef up" the pan itself- I would simply install it as it was originally- fastened down to a solid floor underneath.

As far as I can tell, you have 2 options. 1)Glass over foam (as original) or 2)ply floor. The latter you can do whether you refoam or not. If you dont refoam, then you dont have to worry as much about sealing up the edges of the floor perfectly, as the entire structure will drain and breathe. If you refoam, I would take great care to make sure water doesnt get down into the foamed compartments.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 54>
  Share Topic