Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4142434445 54>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 5:17pm
Alan: Thanks!   May be getting ready for a consultation visit. Still some work to do, but getting to the point where we get together for your expert opinion and direction and of course to drink some beer.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2017 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Alan: Thanks!   May be getting ready for a consultation visit. Still some work to do, but getting to the point where we get together for your expert opinion and direction and of course to drink some beer.

You know where to find me, I do make house calls.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2017 at 9:32pm
My project just blew up in my face this afternoon. Earier I asked about stringers being glassed to the hull. I got my answer. While starting a little grinding I noticed the starboard stringer was a bit loose. I lifted it out of it's channel without resistance. I can't imagine it had any structural integrity the way it was. It was pretty much just floating in a fiberglass enclosure. Now I just don't know what to do. I think I know my options but this is a real setback. It may make the difference in whether it's in the water this year or not..

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2017 at 9:48pm
It's getting dark, here's a better photo. It's in good condition but I am reluctant to put it back.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2017 at 10:05pm
John,
Look at it this way, now's your chance to get full coverage on the CPES! After the CPES set them back in the hull in thickened epoxy.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 4:28pm
I don't like the thought of working with CPES to the extent it would take to get total absorbtion into the stringers. That stuff is really nasty. I did it on my 'toon and the Mark Twain I restored, but that was completely outdoors. I just finished putting CPES on the instrument panel and I can't get the smell out of the garage. The stringers are loose and I have perfect patterns. At this point I am shifting gears again and looking at Coosa. I have a Supra to use for a bit while I straighten this Mustang project out. It just doesn't make sense to me to go through all the work of glassing and epoxying these old wood things down when I could just cut new ones. The other issue is I don't think I can get to 100 pages without throwing some more wrenches into the gears. I got the dash milled down to the proper thickness with my saw. Worked great.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 4:43pm
Be aware that you shouldn't lag into coosa directly... I would give consideration to an engine cradle. That will drive some stringer/floor configuration changes (to access the motor mount through bolts at a minimum).
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 5:08pm
Thanks. I was thinking of an aluminum U shaped saddle relieved into the top of the stringers with threaded sleeves also recessed into holes in the stringers to hold the engine mounting bolts. I would cross bolt the saddles through the stringers. I feel it would be minimally noticeable this way and easy for my fabricator to produce. Since I planned to mill the tops of the stringers down to accommodate positioning the floor at the same elevation as the original it just started to get to involved to stick the old wood back in. The work is 1/2 the fun, right? Any other suggestions? Is my plan sound?

swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 6:10pm
John, I believe you are on track. and nice work by the way!
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 6:36pm
I can think of a few ways that threaded sleeves and saddles might not be preferable. How does the floor mount to it?

Aluminum angle mounted to the outside of the stringer (instead of the inside) would probably be the stealthiest way to add cradle-like support. Then you can scallop the stringers under the mounts and gain access to the nuts/underside from the bilge side.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2017 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I can think of a few ways that threaded sleeves and saddles might not be preferable. How does the floor mount to it?

Aluminum angle mounted to the outside of the stringer (instead of the inside) would probably be the stealthiest way to add cradle-like support. Then you can scallop the stringers under the mounts and gain access to the nuts/underside from the bilge side.

Good point, Tim. If I through bolt U brackets and epoxy the floor down there is no future access to the outboard bolt heads or nuts depending on orientation. If I drill and thread the outboard side of the angle and through bolt into it that way it could be tightened if that was ever necessary. I could make your design with hand tools, no fabricator required. The simplicity of your design is beautiful. Thanks.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 4:49pm
After reviewing Coosa threads I'm overwhelmed.. Tim's B's "another BFN rebuild" thread is far beyond my skill level. It resulted in an amazing build.
The Mustang has a very simple structure and I was hoping to just trace templates of the existing stringers and make adjustments for the floor height and aluminum angle for the engine mounting on the templates and run with it. I hope this is as simple as I am.
I suspect the original stringers and wood framework was assembled and dropped in and glassed down when they built the Mustang. That explains the lack of fiberglass in the hard to reach areas of the stringers.
I was able to source the 3/4 Coosa 4X8 sheets from Total Plastics for $264.55/sheet. Seems like a good price. This job will require 2 sheets. I intend to laminate the stringers from two plys of 3/4. I see Tim used a layer of cloth between the plys. Is this necessary? I am also hoping that with some stiffeners glassed onto the bottom of the 3/4 Coosa it will be adequate for the floor.
Any advice/comments/recommended reading to minimize future regret?

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 5:25pm
3/4" would be overkill for floor thickness but no harm if you're adjusting floor height accordingly. The glass between layers when laminating adds strength and is about as easy as any other (effective) method of joining them.

The later, larger boats had thinner hulls and relied on the foam sandwich and floor glass for structural support... so more members required when going back foamless. Plus, the v-hulls required ribs/bulkheads. The smaller, earlier boats were offered foamless and don't need all that extra support- so you're right that your build would be much less involved.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I see Tim used a layer of cloth between the plys. Is this necessary?

John,
Yes, it's needed. It's to overcome the lack of strength lost at the 2 butt joints of the Coosa in each of the stringer laminations..

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I see Tim used a layer of cloth between the plys. Is this necessary?

John,
Yes, it's needed. It's to overcome the lack of strength lost at the 2 butt joints of the Coosa in each of the stringer laminations..

Would a scarf joint be worth the minimal extra effort it would take, or am I overthinking this?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 9:16pm
John,
No on the scarf. Keep in mind the Coosa core is a high density polyurethane foam.. Although strong, I consider it more of a spacer between the glass skins where most of the strength I don't feel trying to bond the foam core together with a scarf would work. Besides, the layer of glass between the Coosa lamination is easier!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 10:01pm
High density foam mixed with glass fibers and some layers of fiberglass (looks like woven roving?) mixed in. Check out the specs, it's strength compares favorably to ply. Much more than just a strengthless core material.

You do lose significant strength at the joints... adding extra glass in this region will compensate. Probably easier than scarfing, though not a bad thought. One of the reasons we went 3 (1/2") layers instead of 2 (3/4"). Still preserves 2/3 strength even at the joints. I think your plan is still fine, though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Check out the specs .

Tim,
I have checked the specs years ago. Have they changed them? Have you checked the flex modulus of the Coosa compared to solid Doug fir or LVL? Comparing it to regular ply with it's every other alternate veneer grain direction doesn't say much. Still, the Coosa is a great material.

John,
I'm glad Tim mentioned the lamination consisting of 3 - 1/2" layers. Sound method.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2017 at 11:58pm
Thanks much. I'm going to take some more measurements and try laying out the patterns to scale. 1/2" 3 ply may be the way to go. Coosa makes 12' sheets but I don't think Total Plastics stocks it. It may be special order and therefore expensive. Without all the help from everyone here I would have made far more misakes. I ned to try to get the engine in for paint this week so I should have some time to work on the stringer plan.

Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2017 at 10:24am
John I've been researching coosa in the area for the promo. The closest I can find a pickup spot I'd Grand Rapids Michigan. I asked about the 12' sections and they said they can make it, but I'd have to buy the entire pallet. Woof. I think I'll stagger the joints and/or do Doug Fir.

1999 Ski Nautique 196
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2017 at 4:37pm
81 degrees today. It's nice to work out in the driveway. Much to do.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2017 at 5:38pm
John,
Have you considered just using the old wood stringers?

The hull sure looks great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2017 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

John,
Have you considered just using the old wood stringers?

The hull sure looks great!

Thanks Pete, it shines up pretty well, but there are a lot of imperfections. . I have given some thought to just treating the existing wood and putting it back together. Three reasons I don't want to.
I don't want to expose myself to that much CPES.
The cost of enough CPES to do this project could cost as much as swapping to Coosa.
It is my opinion that materials with quite different properties don't play well together. I have come to believe that encapsulating wood stringers in fiberglass is the structural equivalent of fiberglassing the bottom of a wood boat.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2017 at 7:49pm

I have come to believe that encapsulating wood stringers in fiberglass is the structural equivalent of fiberglassing the bottom of a wood boat.

John,
You have the wrong idea regarding glassing the bottom of a wood boat and the failure that goes with it. First, when someone try's to put a "band aid" glass on their bottom, it's only on one side so it's not encapsulating the wood. Second and most important is the boat structure itself. The frames and planking of a wood boat are designed to move. A layer of glass at the plank seams being rigid tries to prevent movement, doesn't and the glass not being strong enough fractures at the seams first. It's the movement that really causes the failure and the reason the 5200 bottom works.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2017 at 6:11pm
Back from vacation and ready to do some work.
I appreciate all the advice I have gotten from the experts here, but I am planning to vary from the advice a bit. I hope to pick up the Coosa this week and in an attempt to keep waste to a minimum, I am planning to go with the 3/4 and laminate two pieces for the stringers. I appreciate that laminating three pieces of 1/2 may be slightly more desirable, but it would require me to buy more product to do both the stringers and the floor. The secondary stringers, originally being 3/4, would require me to laminate two pieces and would come in at 1". I am also concerned that a 1/2 floor would not have the desired rigidity. and I dont want to laminate the entire floor. As it is it will need to be laminated at the pylon and seat mounts. I think three plies would be more than adequate there (2-1/4").
The concern about he strength at the joint is unwarranted IMHO because compared to the strength of the wood stringer, which had been drilled for the battery cables and battery tray drain (2X for good luck I guess) It should be much stronger. I believe in my vase, and many others, the stringers are doing nothing more than holding the engine in, and sometimes not performing that task very well. My stringers were completely disbonded from the fiberglass and were just "floating" in a fiberglass capsule providing no rigidity. It is possible that the hull flex from disbonding and rotten stringers has caused some of the gel cracking that seems so common with the older Correct Craft boats. I do not intend to drill the stringers for the battery cables or the tray drain. With a foamless boat and passages to drain the area outboard of the stringers into the bilge via small passages between the hull and the stringers it is unnecessary. If anyone an explain to me how the stringers were providing ANY strength with this disbonding, please let me know. The original stringers in this boat are in much better condition than what I have commonly seen in these threads but I dont think it really mattered much.

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 11:57am
John,
Can you talk more about the dash panel and how you milled it down? i still have mine and it needs the same treatment!!!

Thanks,
Peter
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2017 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

John,
Can you talk more about the dash panel and how you milled it down? i still have mine and it needs the same treatment!!!

Thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter. I just layed it on the radial arm saw and indexed the cut to the depth that I wanted the panel to be. I made multiple passes with my finest crosscut blade taking out a blade's width on each pass. Not fancy but it worked well. I have a radial arm saw up in MW too. I'm here now and most of the summer. I'm busy building a new garage right now. If you're coming up stop by and I'll do it. I hope you can make it up.

turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2017 at 11:11am

Originally posted by turningpoint84 turningpoint84 wrote:

John,

Thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter. I just layed it on the radial arm saw and indexed the cut to the depth that I wanted the panel to be. I made multiple passes with my finest crosscut blade taking out a blade's width on each pass. Not fancy but it worked well. I have a radial arm saw up in MW too. I'm here now and most of the summer. I'm busy building a new garage right now. If you're coming up stop by and I'll do it. I hope you can make it up.

John I won't be up until 1st week of august. If you're still around, i'll stop by!
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2018 at 4:17pm
Just about ready to get this party started.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2018 at 5:23pm

Just about ready to get this party started.

OMG!!! Better get going again and make Jan happy!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 4142434445 54>
  Share Topic