Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not another Mustang restoration thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 51525354>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2020 at 2:30pm
As far as I recall he did not plate a part that was originally painted. That housing was always chrome.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 10:19am
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 12:19pm
All the chrome platers in Cali have vanished
Nice job.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 12:40pm
I posted a photo of the original helm from my Mustang. It was painted white. This one is from the Mustang SS I sacrificed. It was the worst of the two so I plated it.
How much to bring yours home Gary
I am lucky to have a plater about 1.5 miles from my house. I have been using them for over 30 years. They do excellent work, generally have a reasonable turn around time, and are very reasonable. I posted their info some time back. If you need work I recommend them. They have very little walk in work. They are very nice people to deal with. Their web site is down right now, I suspect because of the virus.
They are Courtesy Metal Polishing (CMP) 735 N. Addison Road, Villa Park, IL 60181
Tel 630.832.1862
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Nice job.

Yes, the California environmentalist chased them out!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

How much to bring yours home Gary

Still not following you John, it is home    Believe it or not I did sell the MG last fall.
Many of those parts in my picture above were plated by John's recommended plater. Very happy with his work.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Nice job.

Yes, the California environmentalist chased them out!

Yes, same here, they have chased most of the criminal operations out.
I did some work for the Environmental Enforcement division in our local government. We have one of the largest industrial parks in Illinois. There are many platers, circuit board manufacturers, and chemical warehouses located there.
Many of the businesses have been forced out because they are fly by night operations that have no regard for our health or safety. They are constantly caught falsifying documents about the chemicals they use and the processes they perform at their operations. Generally they are caught during inspections. Devices placed in sewers to capture samples at specific times catch many as they release toxic chemicals into the sewer system, generally at late hours of the night, as well. When they are caught they just declare bankruptcy and leave the taxpayers stuck with the clean up bill.
The platers that remain cooperate with the department and dispose of their chemicals properly. Government only chases the criminal operations out. CMP is compliant with laws regarding toxic waste, that's why they have been in business for over 40 years.
In the early 90s I responded to a report of an unconcious person in a factory. I was the first one on the scene and ran in to locate and assess the victim while the paramedics were in route. The factory was deserted as I searched for the victim, which seemed odd. I quickly felt like I was going to become unconscious and made it out a door. The problem was a spill of a cynide salt that is used in plating. I was taken to the hospital where I spent 2-3 days with a line in an artery in one arm, and a vein in the other monitoring my blood chemistry and oxygen levels. It was a typical fly by night operation and everyone had run out of the facility leaving it abandoned and not telling the dispatchers that the reason the victim was unconcious was a sodium cynide spill.
I was told when I was discharged that many people who are exposed to this chemical develop a sensitivity and death is possible if exposed again even at low levels.
I have no fondness for the criminals who operate these illegal plants.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2020 at 7:46pm

I am lucky to have a plater about 1.5 miles from my house. I have been using them for over 30 years. They do excellent work, generally have a reasonable turn around time, and are very reasonable. I posted their info some time back. If you need work I recommend them. They have very little walk in work. They are very nice people to deal with. Their web site is down right now, I suspect because of the virus.
They are Courtesy Metal Polishing (CMP) 735 N. Addison Road, Villa Park, IL 60181
Tel 630.832.1862

I last talked to Tito at Courtesy back in January of this year. he was extra talkative and we had a long discussion about business. Seems 2019 was not good to him and he almost closed in the fall. he had several weeks with zero work. I have no idea if this virus deal is hurting or helping his business right now but if you have more stuff to get chromed I'm sure he'd appreciate the business.

I've had a few pieces done that were not show quality but his pricing is so reasonable I just tell him what I expect and to charge me a few bucks more if he needs to.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 2:42pm
I hope Tito is well, He has always been good to me.
Moving at my glacial pace and between yard work and other distractions I've spent a little time prepping and painting some of the parts to get the engine finished. I hope this turns out ok< I'm comitted now. Can anyone suggest a method to paint the little HM logos cast into the parts? They were red and white originally. I am not very steady with a brush and was thinking some kind of blotter or stamp pad may work. I've never done detail painting. They cast their logo and part numbers into everything.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 9:54pm
Super Bummer!
With all the time I spent cleaning and prepping this bell housing, how did I not notice this?
It's the one off the sacraficed boat. I inspected the original from the good Mustang I'm working on and it's good. Guess I'm lucky there. Four hours of cleaning, prepping, primer and paint down the drain.
CRAP!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2020 at 10:00pm
Your like a mad scientist with the battery leads and tub of chemicals
What in the world are you doing
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 7:32am

Electrolytic Rust Removal

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 1:47pm
I think I’ll try it. But outside
I’ve been using evaporust or acid
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 4:15pm

I think I’ll try it. But outside
I’ve been using evaporust or acid

Electrolysis is an efficient non-toxic way to remove rust and paint. The time required depends on how heavy the rust is and how much current you apply. I use a 10 amp battery charger and it usually takes about 12 hours to remove any trace of rust or paint from a few small parts. The only possible hazard is the hydrogen produced by running current through water, however it's a small amount and I leave the basement laundry room window cracked open at night. You can pour the liquid down the drain when you're done since it's just washing soda and water. The cathode needs to be cleaned periodically to maintain good current flow.
My wife is so used to me doing this that she does the laundry right next to my bubbling parts without so much as a comment.
The Duplicolor engine enamel with ceramic gives a much better finish than I was expecting. I bought the clear to go over it for a little extra shine and protection. Ill do it after the engine is completely assembled.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 4:20pm
Is that a sag I see in one of the parts? Reject!!

Looking great John.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Is that a sag I see in one of the parts? Reject!!

Looking great John.

I'm satisfied if the sags are less pronounced than those in my chin.

I'm still bummed about the crack in the bell housing. I'll start prepping the other one tomorrow..

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 9:24pm
Excellent explanation. I was wondering about amps , I was thinking 2.
And then of course the wife.
Nice work
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2020 at 10:41pm

I'm still bummed about the crack in the bell housing. I'll start prepping the other one tomorrow..

I'm thinking the crack is original John,mine was cracked too and being 27 boats apart.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2020 at 4:38am
Quote I'm still bummed about the crack in the bell housing. I'll start prepping the other one tomorrow..

Fix the crack.

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2020 at 11:56pm

Here are the stages of electrolysis corrosion removal.
Several of the brackets were fairly corroded. I picked the four best of the bunch. Don't know the composition of the steel rod, but it is corrosion resistant.

This is what I started with.

Here it is after about 16 hours of electrolysis and a light wire brushing.

Primed with Duplicolor etching primer

Painted according to the directions on the Duplicolor can.

These were by far the most corroded parts on both boats. I don't think the original finish was very good. They are just 3" pieces of 2-1/2" angle stock with a hole drilled and a steel rod welded in.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2020 at 12:00am
Etching primer or epoxy primer? Looks like the latter... the self etching is green.

Paint looks good.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2020 at 12:11am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Etching primer or epoxy primer? Looks like the latter... the self etching is green.

Paint looks good.

I may have erred once again. The can says Engine Enamel Primer with Ceramic. I just made that etching thing up.
Thanks Tim, so happy I followed your advice again and did the rattle can thing.
A happy and crazy old guy high on aerosol solvents.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2020 at 11:37pm
2nd verse, same as the first.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 3:04am
Are these cheesy cable brackets a H/M thing or from CC? Looks like they were bent in a vice and shaped with a large stone, then primed with zinc chromate. Same brackets on both of the engines. The rest of the H/M stuff looks like it was dipped in blue paint. So Neandertal, makes my eyes hurt,
Any quality options or suggestions for cable brackets?
Bonus Gasket question????
My Fel-pro marine gasket set came with blue stripe cork/rubber valve cover gaskets with shim. What is the preference here? These or is there something better? Valve covers are reasonaby straight.
The set also came with a .063 carburetor base gasket but nothing for the wedge. Originally it had a .035 or so gasket under the wedge. I don't think it's critical but comments are always appreciated.
Have a fantastic day!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 8:37am
John,
The brackets were added at the CC factory. Each boat manufacturer would add theirs per their needs for their cable routing. "bent in a vice" Did you expect anything different from CC back then? Actually, they worked for many years and will work again so, I'd paint them up and use them. Besides, they are original.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 9:14am

Bonus Gasket question????
My Fel-pro marine gasket set came with blue stripe cork/rubber valve cover gaskets with shim. What is the preference here? These or is there something better? Valve covers are reasonaby straight.

Without part numbers or pictures, it tough to know what you have, but I'll take a wild guess that you bought a FelPro 17260 gasket set and those valve cover gaskets in that set are what FelPro says to use for stamped steel valve covers. They work good especially if the valve covers aren't perfectly straight.

If you bought the 17261 gasket set, that has valve cover gaskets for cast aluminum valve covers that stay straighter and these gaskets seal well with them.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 9:34am
[QUOTE=john b] Are these cheesy cable brackets a H/M thing or from CC? /QUOTE]

You have done everything so nice so far. Throw them in a pile and make them the way they should have been made to start with. Just cause some fabricator wanna- be beat them out does not warrant you following his ways. Kinda like rewiring using the same "bowl of spaghetti" system the factory used. Do it right, your work to this point has looked very good.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

[QUOTE=john b] Are these cheesy cable brackets a H/M thing or from CC? /QUOTE]

You have done everything so nice so far. Throw them in a pile and make them the way they should have been made to start with. Just cause some fabricator wanna- be beat them out does not warrant you following his ways. Kinda like rewiring using the same "bowl of spaghetti" system the factory used. Do it right, your work to this point has looked very good.

Duane,
Besides making nice bends, how would you make the bracket at the cable connection point?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 10:26am
I’m using the Neanderthal cable brackets on my 71. Simple and effective. I’ve used some modern aftermarket options on my 454 builds but never considered anything like that on my classic. Just wouldn’t look right.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2020 at 10:46am
Make sure you use mailbox decals for registration numbers for that classic look as well
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 51525354>
  Share Topic