NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whats up with this weather?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats up with this weather?
    Posted: December-15-2011 at 5:04pm
Dec. 15 and we have not had more than a dusting of snow in west Michigan...usually by this time, 2 ft of snow has fallen. Yeah, yeah...bring on the global warming nut cases. In Oct. they were predicting the coldest and wettest winter on record...definitely has some making up to do! I know I screwed myself because I just bought this

so we probably will have the worst winter ever and I will have to hear it from my wife all summer.

Any other sledders out there? Where do you ride? I will mostly be up near the Harbor Springs, MI area.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 5:24pm
Not to worry Adam, I bought a sled last year and we still had a record amount of snow fall in Jan!

I picked up this '97 Yamaha 700 SX after leaning heavily on Mike Succi (05 210) for advice:

Hoping to get a buddy or 2 out with me this winter... riding alone sucks!

Youre preaching to the choir about odd weather though- we've had a strange couple of months here in CT. The hurricane hit us in late Aug, and then we got dumped with almost 2' of snow a few days before Halloween. Many trees still had leaves, so the wet, heavy snow took down a ton of limbs- some people were without power for over a week. Since then, its been unseasonably warm. No ice on the lake yet!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 5:35pm
We've got no snow, more nights above freezing than below, and the ground hasn't froze yet. Seems like the weather is a good month behind.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 5:35pm
Dang Adam, when did you move back up North??

Ride up by my Buddies (Brownie) place on Glen Lake just west of Traverse City at least once a season. No snow up there yet and we don't even have ice on our ponds, let alone lakes, down here in Chicago, was almost 50 deg yesterday, crazy weather.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 5:55pm
We moved back around Aug, moved into the house in Oct (2 months in an extended stay hotel with infant and 2 cats...not fun).

Happy to be back and to be able to take advantage of the 4 seasons again.

No snow predicted in lower MI before Christmas...not even freezing temps really. I am sure we will get dumped on in Jan/Feb, but an already short season is getting shorter everyday! If you head up north this winter, let me know...always looking for new riding areas.
Boats:
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 5:59pm
Hey Tim. Yeah, my sister lives in NH. She lost power for over a week before Halloween. My new ride is a 05 Arctic Cat F6 EXT. Just wanted something dependable that I could have fun on. Budget was $2500, ended up paying $2800, but think I got a good deal. All my new riding buddies have Cats, so I figured it would be best for knowledge and service to stick with a cat. The Yamaha looks clean!!!
Boats:
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 6:28pm
We're singing the blues here in IA too....Rain and 50 yesterday WTF?!?!

a little colder today but sheesh...this is ridiculous. There's a snow ski place across the river from my parents place we normally have to drive an hour to, it's only a 5 min duck boat ride though when the rivers open!

I too have a sled that's sitting in the garage.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 7:08pm
I don't care if you have a sleigh and eight reindeer...I will never complain about warm temperature. Its 55 outside and I am LOVING it. I played 2 outdoor soccer games last night and I was quite alright with walking off the field with toes that were not frozen.
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 7:49pm
I'm ready for the snow :) My wife and I.....

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 7:52pm
It was 72 here today.
Tim D
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 9:56pm
its already black powder season here and usually there is snow on the ground , I think even the deer are confused 55 + here today
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 12:35am
Did someone just mention snowmobiling?

- You have my attention    Where the heck is Phil ......
   - Enjoy the F6, those EXTs are somewhat rare. If its clean and mechanically sound you got a great deal. What is that yellow clam next too it though ?
   - Is Harbor Springs in the UP?
   - Hey Tim, your snowflap is either longer than stock, mounted in the wrong holes, or you have a rear suspension problem

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 12:58am
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Did someone just mention snowmobiling?

- You have my attention    Where the heck is Phil ......
   - Enjoy the F6, those EXTs are somewhat rare. If its clean and mechanically sound you got a great deal. What is that yellow clam next too it though ?
   - Is Harbor Springs in the UP?
   - Hey Tim, your snowflap is either longer than stock, mounted in the wrong holes, or you have a rear suspension problem

Mike

Hey Mike. I think it is fairly clean. There is one crack in the hood and the speedo went out on it last year. Has 5100 miles, but still 135 psi on both cylinders, so really just want to get through the winter and I will rebuild over the summer. Love the looks of it though, so don't mind putting some elbow grease in on it. Other than that, just needs a new track and it will be like new.

Don't worry, the "clam" next to it is not mine...those are the pictures from the ad on CL. PO was a dad who's grown son had got him back into snowmobiling...only to decide the next year he would rather get married and had to sell the ski-doo. I actually really like the new ski-doo's, but I can not afford them!

Harbor Springs is not in the UP, but close...just southwest of the bridge, close to Petoskey.
Boats:
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

Good eye! Ill have to take a look- maybe snap a new picture. That pic could have been taken with the rear all frozen up... later I bought a stand and made a habit of cleaning all the snow out of the rear suspension after a ride- its stored cold (frickin newbie!). Or would that not explain it?
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Or would that not explain it?

It could. Ice and snow can add a bunch of weight to the tunnel and suspension causing things not to work right. That red flap isnt the stock one, but if it says Yamaha on it then its definately an oem accessory replacement. The stock flap was black. It does look a little long in that pic. When you get off the seat, the suspension should rebound all the way up until the sliding control rods in the back top out on the bottom spacers. If it doesn't it's set too soft,has bent parts or has hi temp grease in it. Hi temp grease in a sled suspension is no bueno.

Last year's fleet:
   sold wife's ZR600 (2nd from right) to Craig Warner a month ago. Currently looking for something for her.....

.... and just picked this up for my daughter last week.It looks brand new. (going to be a Christmas present)
97 Puma 340 w/ elect start/ reverse. 500 original miles

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 5:35pm
I used to like winter but my pendulum has swung to the "no thanks" side the last 5 years.

I saw an episode of that Alaska State Trooper show and they were working the Arctic Man event. Reminds me of a frozen Sturgis/Glamis, insane.
rman56 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 7:21pm
No thanks to the snow hate the stuff.......we need summer year around!
1983 Ski Nautique
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 7:43pm
don't worry guys, it's not even officially winter yet...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 4:43pm
I'm surprised that John hasn't commented on this thread! He's usually the first one to say something about how great it is with him moving south!   

We just got our first dusting here in the Chicago area and of course, I hadn't tried to see if the blower is running yet. I went out and cranked it up - I'm ready.

Up north, the trails opened on the 12th. However, some of the lake crossings are still closed and per my local newspaper up there, "expect early winter trail conditions". IE: all they can do is roll the trails as there still isn't enough snow to do any actual dragging.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2011 at 4:55pm
It is in the forties in Minnesota today. I enjoy Winter but after last year I will not complain. To cold to mow, but to warm to snowblow is a wonderful thing. My utility bills will be lower. the only thing I will miss is the smug superiority of leaving two wheel drive cars spinning in my rear view mirror as I cruise with my 4WD.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 12:00am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm surprised that John hasn't commented on this thread! He's usually the first one to say something about how great it is with him moving south!

Just saw this thread tonite..

Footed yesterday with Eddie. Awesome morning..upper 70's..sun..no wind.

But it is interesting seein' all these pictures. And you know..each to his own...I am like HW...just not interested in snow anymore. Like seeing it on here or on the tv news.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic