NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any Florida experts?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Florida experts?
    Posted: December-15-2011 at 6:11pm
Hello,

My wife has a long standing job offer in the Sarasota area and we are seriously considering relocating this summer after school is out.

Anyone know the area? Really interested in the boating topics as I have never even been to Florida and looking at google images, I can see lots of water. Really though, I would be afraid of the gators.

My wife has lived in that area years ago and she tells me about the vast amount of water. I just wonder how much of that water is good for watersports, and how well the Excel would handle that type of water.   Anything I would need to know?   

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 6:36pm
hasbeenskier, jbear, The Godfather, FL Inboards, adamt are a few of our senior guys that probably help you out in theis manner. One of them will pop in here sooner or later.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2011 at 7:04pm
Stay up there, you will hate the warm water and unlimited sunshine.
The only hard water we have is in our iced tea.........
Come on down the weather is fine......Boat dr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 3:02am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

hasbeenskier, jbear, The Godfather, FL Inboards, adamt are a few of our senior guys that probably help you out in theis manner. One of them will pop in here sooner or later.

Yeah. That senior part, your funny. Lots of blue hairs according to my wife.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 7:24am
nice place to visit........
oneonone, alot depends on what your going to do for a living down there also, the economy is really taking a bite down there, housing is cheap but so are the wages
"the things you own will start to own you"
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 10:04am
Shoot an email to JBear. I'm sure he would be more than happy to help, as would the Godfather and any others down there.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 2:29pm
We are going there after Christmas for 4 days, so I might get a better idea then. I have done a fair amount of research over the last few weeks and when it comes to boating and water sports, all I come up with are rental areas and marinas with boats so large, the slip rental is more than my excel is worth.

I know the economy is in the tank in Fla, but I can do my job from nearly anywhere, and honestly my wife just isn't happy here in Wisconsin. Not a rash decision for her, I have held her off for 3 years too long.

I have done a fair amount of sea travel, but not on small boats like mine, in unfamilaiar waters. Does one just dunk the boat and drive off and hope for the best? Doesn't really matter, I think her mind is set on relocating regardless of any reason I can think for staying.

She summed it up pretty well, " what the hell, do you think Floridians don't ski"     

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 2:50pm
I dont know sarasota specifically... but i have done some skiing with the floridians. They do ski, they dont flail around needlessly in murky water with the engine turned off, but they do ski. Be reasonable, leave the engine running.. hop in the water equipment on and handle in hand and enjoy your set without a second thought. In the open clear lakes it is a non factor. In the brown narrow rivers/swamp like areas I would recommend a pass or two through your intended skiing area before hopping in.

If you look at the actual amount of documented gator attacks in florida it quickly becomes apparent you would have to be pretty unlucky or pretty reckless to be the one guy. Whole lot more people eating gators in florida than there are gators eating people.

As for open water boating, you might want to consider taking a captains class before you get too crazy and perhaps take Sherriff Brody's sage advice into account "you're gonna need a bigger boat"
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2011 at 3:06pm
My Aunt and Uncle are in Lakeland, which is along the line between Tampa and Orlando.

One thing that they do have down there is cable parks for wakeboarding, the way we have snow skiing in the Northeast. They also have tons of places where you can pay by the set, or by the outing. Basically chartered waterskiing. The Swiss Ski School is the most notable of these, but there are more and more popping up.

My Aunt and Uncle where very close to a place... I want to say Waterski Heaven or something like that... but it was basically a place that had slips for private ski boats, and it was on a private waterski lake. I'd imagine your Excel might be more comfortable somewhere like that, than at a big time Saltwater Marina.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 2:48am
Your Aunt and Uncle live in a very cool area for skiing/boarding. We are close to there. Central Florida is the place to be in my opinion. To busy and costly on the coasts. Countless lakes to ski on. Always good water somewhere close. We ski the Chain-Of-Lakes in the Winter Haven area. Sure we see gators...but have never had trouble and we ski most every saturday..year-round.
Coming from Wisconsin you will love the weather. The guy I ski with..Eddie Olson is from up there and he is very glad to be here.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 11:07am
I am just North of Sarasota, I know the area well as I used to work down there. A wealthy, clean and conjested county, has an air port but it is not international, closest is Tampa. More salt water than fresh in Sarasota County (Of course being Coastal) No snow shovels at all. I can think of worst places to live. Gators and sharks, I have had up close and personals with both. (Skiing and spearfishing) It is a mind set. I do not agitate either, just stand my ground. Both want something easy and without a fight. We used to have to run the boat up and down the slalom course a few times to get the gators to leave the course. They would swim outside the turn bouys and wait for us to finish and then would come back in.

As for old people I was told the same thing in 1980... Your time will come too! See you at the River Run.
hasbeenskier
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 12:22pm
elephants do the same thing........
"the things you own will start to own you"
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 1:19pm
I am familiar with Sarasota as my parents retired there years ago. As BJ said, it is a great place to retire. The real estate prices are at a low so timing is good. I myself had a hard time finding good spots to ski at, there is a cove by Bird Key but other than that the water is either wind blown or off limits to skiing (not legal in the intercoastal waterway). Most of the full time residents head inland for recreation because they are annoyed by the tourists.

Good luck!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 4:45pm
I was at the Chicago Motorcycle Show a couple of years ago, and there was a booth set up there advertising a residential development in Florida where you "ride where you live, and live where you ride". Can't remember the name place, but, it sounded pretty cool. It was by Lake Weir. Someplace in central FL I believe. Might be worth checking out. Motorcycles, water skiing, warm weather. Doesn't get any better.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 8:24pm
My folks had a condo on Siesta Key (Siesta Breakers). My mom is now on Longboat Key (my dad passed away 7 years ago). My father-in-law has a place at the Breakers. We have done a little skiing on the inner coastal. It is not hard to find decent water in the mornings. One problem that has risen is the increase manatee areas. They are no wake which means no skiing. There is a Show Ski team called Ski-A-Rees that is based off the north tip of Longboat Key near the Moat Marine.

http://www.skiarees.com/

They put on a show every Sunday during their season. I got to foot with them during a couple of their Saturday practices.   Great bunch of people who would be a good source of information about skiing spots.
BTW, If you are into golf, Sarasota county is a great place to be.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 8:25pm
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 8:29pm
Now that is what I am talking about. Some good information.
I am not really afraid of gators, but is unnatural for me, coming from Wisconsin/Michigan. We don't have animals here that want to eat you, poison you, or maim you. It's kinda nice.

I figured the intercoastal would be off limits, and I am sure I will learn more after Christmas and I get a chance to talk to some local marinas too.    I will check into the fresh water lakes too, I am a little hesitant to be in salty water too much.
I do have faith in the excel hull, it rides so nice on the lakes around here. Waves that would submarine many other towboats, are handled pretty easy.

I know I will love the weather, and that is a large part of my wifes insistence on Florida.   

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

My folks had a condo on Siesta Key (Siesta Breakers). My mom is now on Longboat Key (my dad passed away 7 years ago). My father-in-law has a place at the Breakers. We have done a little skiing on the inner coastal. It is not hard to find decent water in the mornings. One problem that has risen is the increase manatee areas. They are no wake which means no skiing. There is a Show Ski team called Ski-A-Rees that is based off the north tip of Longboat Key near the Moat Marine.

http://www.skiarees.com/

They put on a show every Sunday during their season. I got to foot with them during a couple of their Saturday practices.   Great bunch of people who would be a good source of information about skiing spots.
BTW, If you are into golf, Sarasota county is a great place to be.

Ana Maria island
Siesta key
Longboat key

That is her short list. Too bad for her it is really short, because I am not keen on a large mortgage payment and so much house work. Having a house in my mind means you have alot of work to do all year round. We have appointments for 2 condos, both in Bradenton.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2011 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I am familiar with Sarasota as my parents retired there years ago. As BJ said, it is a great place to retire. The real estate prices are at a low so timing is good. I myself had a hard time finding good spots to ski at, there is a cove by Bird Key but other than that the water is either wind blown or off limits to skiing (not legal in the intercoastal waterway). Most of the full time residents head inland for recreation because they are annoyed by the tourists.

Good luck!

Yeah, I fear the blue hairs more than the gators. Can't even imagine the pace there. Yeah, I better watch what I say, I pull a gray hair once in a while.

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2011 at 1:17pm
Leave the gray hairs, they run tons of senior citizens discounts down there
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2011 at 2:55pm
I am going skiing now, the economy sucks if you do not have a specific skill set. There are plenty of lakes to ski in all over Florida, Dont mind the Gators, but the skeeters will carry you off in some places. If we dont get some rain we might all be looking for a place to ski.
Mike
Lakedog55
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 6:27pm
Just get used to eating dinner early, say 3:45 to 5pm because it is a lot cheaper. Apparently Florida restuarants charge more for a chicken dinner just because it is dark out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2011 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

Ana Maria island
Siesta key
Longboat key

That is her short list. .

I will be to all three of those next month. Heading to Naples for a couple of days, then up to see my Mom on Longboat. We go through Anna Maria on my way to see my Grandmother (95 years young). We'll also hit Siesta. There's an oyster bar I've heard about that I want to try (the SKOB).
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 12:09pm
Florida is a great place! We were going for 4 days, and ended up spending eleven days.   Those of you that live there, have a beautiful place to hang your hat.

I had my truck stolen back in Wisconsin and we happened to find a steal on a new Ford truck which I drove back. This is my first diesel, well that I own anyway and pulling the boat is going to be a pleasure now!   Maybe Madison is over priced, but I thought Florida was reasonable especially the real estate and vehicles.

Nothing is official yet, I have boys in school, and to be honest, I was pretty let down with the two schools we were able to visit. I go to Tunica Miss. several times a year, and in March I am going to take an extra few days to return to Fl. when I can get a better handle on where I am going to send the boys to school.

Thanks for the tips.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 12:59pm
Before you committ go in the summer too July and August are like January and Febuary here,you spend it inside.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 1:20pm
Yeah, sorry to say my wife is committed. More like "when" than "if".
We have the boys school to worry about, some health care issues for myself, two that spend a few weeks indoors here in the summer because of allergies, and tons of crap to get rid of at two different residences.

Besides I am getting tired of losing her for a total of 28 days a year while she visits family there. I lose her a week every month already, because she is a woman.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic