NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

#2 and #3 trailers

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: #2 and #3 trailers
    Posted: December-28-2011 at 9:52pm
can anyone confirm whether or not #2s and 3 s frames were 1x3 channel ?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 11:05am
Peter, did you not get my email?

All of my late 60's and early 70's trailers use 4" channel- that goes for both #2's and #3's. I would guess the width to be 1.5".

Im excited about those u-bolts too- sign me up for a few extra sets! If you want to email me directly, feel free: TRBenj@gmail.com
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 11:27am
Thanks Tim yes i got it but wanted to confirm it . when looking online at pics and photos Bruce sent me they all seem to be the 3 " channel like the two trailers he left here . if you need that style bow stop do you then need it made from 4" channel? and one more thing , do you happen to know what the 3 " channel trailers were then?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 11:39am
Peter, you'll have to excuse me... I didnt actually measure my trailer. Im sitting here staring at my ruler trying to envision what size channel the frame is made out of and I really would have guessed they were 4"... but if youre telling me that the #2 that Bruce dropped off (Im assuming its the one pictured below) has 3" channel then I'll defer to you 100%. My trailers of that same era (both #2's and #3's) would have been built of the same size channel as that one. The larger trailers (like our #4 under the Barefoot Nautique) used larger frames (1" larger, so probably 4")... but they tended to use different bow stops- so dont worry about that.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 11:45am
Peter, I went digging through my notes... I know that the chrome Correct Craft trailer decals are 2-1/4" tall, so based on this picture, the #2 frame has to be 3" and not 4". Sorry for the confusion, carry on!

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 11:47am
Thanks Tim , I think these then are the right trailers for us?   maybe someone out there has a trailer near them and can measure for us?    by the pic above it looks like 3 "   i will get you 4 to 6 sets? i have a bow stop done for you already
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 11:55am
Peter, sounds awesome- I think my Uncle Todd was interested in a bowstop too- hopefully you guys traded emails. Actually, sign me up for a 2nd bowstop if its not too much trouble! 4-6 sets on the u-bolts would be perfect.

I will be swinging by my boats tonight or tomorrow and can confirm that measurement, but Id say youre probably right about the 3" frame.

Thanks again for taking on this project... another impossible-to-find part crossed off the list!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 11:56am
Thanks Tim
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 11:57am
I can measure that other #2 tomorrow. Here's the pic of the #2 Peter is talking about. It should be the same as the #2 under the Skier.

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 1:33pm
Did I hear someone is going to be able to get U bolts for bow stops?!?! If so, I'd love to donate to the cause.

I can run out and measure my #2 over lunch.

Either this one....

Or this one...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 3:06pm
Peter,mine measures 3" high, 1 3/8" wide. My U bolts measure 2 3/4" wide but that is for this kind of bow stop.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 3:09pm
So, what's the deal with U-bolts?
Did they become rare all of a sudden?

Any farm supply store should have them.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

If you can find some, let us know! The largest Ive been able to find are 3/8"... quite a bit smaller than the 1/2" originals.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 4:54pm
Not going to make it home over lunch but I'm sure my measurements are the same as Gary's.

Like Tim, I haven't been able to find the U bolts and will have to cut mine off since they are rusted.

Gary, how's the hose holding up against the rub rail?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

These are Marine ones Al,there is about a 30 dollar difference   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 5:37pm
Thanks everyone . I dont know how hard to find they are but I deal with a locl spring shop and he can make what appear to be the right ones .
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 7:30pm
Chris, the hose is working great,does not seem to have any wear and it does not damage the rub rail and that is after the 3K Florida trip. The only thing I could say about the experience is that the vinyl on the motor box balloons up as you drive, much like a convertible top does.I think if I did it again that I would use some kind of strap to hold it down.You guys with glass boxxes don't know what your missing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-29-2011 at 10:44pm
Half inch originals ?

Caterpillar Dealer has those.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 12:12am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The larger trailers (like our #4 under the Barefoot Nautique) used larger frames (1" larger, so probably 4")... but they tended to use different bow stops- so dont worry about that.

FWIW, just measured the Martinique trailer, 4" with 1.1/2" flange and the bow stop is 52.1/2" tall.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 1:38am
Neighbors '88 Barefoot trailer has 5" channel with the original 3/8" U-bolts.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2011 at 11:33am
thanks i am looking for 60s era   but I think we are all set
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2011 at 1:04pm
My Uncle Todd measured his #2 and confirmed the measurements above (3" x 1-3/8" channel).

Gary, the tall bowstops with 4 u-bolts used smaller hardware (3/8") than the short bowstops with 2 u-bolts (1/2" hw).

Al, good heads up on Caterpillar possibly having the u-bolts... its always good to have a backup plan!

The 80's CC trailers got beefed up over their 60's-70's counterparts. The #3 went from 3" to 4" channel and the #4 went from 4" to 5".
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2011 at 1:32pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] Gary, the tall bowstops with 4 u-bolts used smaller hardware (3/8") than the short bowstops with 2 u-bolts (1/2" hw).
QUOTE]

I would have thought they'd be the same and the fact the taller ones would have more leverage on them that they would be the heaver ones.Maybe the larger base made up for that
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2011 at 1:36pm
Maybe Peter could make you up a couple of pairs of the goofy side guides
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Gary, the tall bowstops with 4 u-bolts used smaller hardware (3/8") than the short bowstops with 2 u-bolts (1/2" hw).

I would have thought they'd be the same and the fact the taller ones would have more leverage on them that they would be the heaver ones.Maybe the larger base made up for that

Yeah, not sure of the reasoning beyond there being 2x as many bolts holding down the taller stops. I do know that both my Ski Tique and BFN with the taller stops used the smaller u-bolts, while all of the short style stops used the larger hardware.

I think I'll pass on those guides!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 1:31pm
You almost have convinced on taking them off,it would be easier to clean up the hull.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2012 at 1:46pm
Gary, Don't those things marr the finish on the gel?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 12:29am
They are carpeted Bruce just like the bunks.You just can't get your hands behind them to clean,they are that close.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 7:56pm
has anyone tried to repop these #2 trailers?   I have one here from Bruce and   just steel wise the 2x3 channel
2- 20 ' lengths = 140.00
1 -10' l for cross braces 35
10' length channel 1 1/4 appr 45
tongue 25?
spring and axle kit 250   3k lb
two wheels and tires250
misc hardware , lights wiring jack . it cant all be 800 in materials? correct me if i'm way off   what are they worth reproduced? and how many could someone expect to sell?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2012 at 8:00pm
Peter, someone was doing #3s a few years ago. There was a link on the site. I believe they were around $2k without the options.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic