NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cherry Picker max lift

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cherry Picker max lift
    Posted: January-05-2012 at 5:49pm
I am looking to purchase an engine hoist/cherry picker for one of my home projects, but I want to make sure it has the capacity to do the boat engine when I start my stringer project.   DO any of you know how much lift is needed (max height) to get the 351 over the gunnel?   How about depth (reach) to get to the center of the boat?   I am not going to be near my boat for a while, and have a line on a Craigs list hoist....   

Thanks!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:04pm
post a link to the add and I will at the pictures and let you know if it should work..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:09pm
Chances are unless you spend a lot of money on one, you aren't going to find one that you don't have to remove the tires on the trailer or tip the trailer up or do something like that. Measure the height of your boat on the trailer, then measure the height of the engine from the oil pan to the carb and allow room for the chain and you may be approaching 7' of height.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:09pm
HOIST
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/2780450525.html
Joe - I looked for spec's online, but haven't come across any....   Seller is getting me max lift off of the box, but I want to be sure that this is the right unit before having another piece of unuseable gear in my garage
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Chances are unless you spend a lot of money on one, you aren't going to find one that you don't have to remove the tires on the trailer or tip the trailer up or do something like that. Measure the height of your boat on the trailer, then measure the height of the engine from the oil pan to the carb and allow room for the chain and you may be approaching 7' of height.

I am OK with a little deflateing of the tires, but if the hoist doesn't reach the engine, or I have to put the axle on my floor jack with the tires off, I'd rather keep looking.   I am going for inexpensive, but not Harbor freight cheap. I already have a floor jack from them that is almost unuseable    i guess you get what you pay for
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:25pm
We bought one last year for a little under $200. It's a heck of a lot safer than our red neck engine hoist, but it's only good for a Mustang, if you tip the trailer way up and pull it out under the engine. It's great for putting/pulling an engine out of a pickup truck bed. We pulled an engine a couple weeks ago and we got a local marina to pull it with their hoist and drop it in the PU. For $60, it was well worth it.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 6:43pm
even cheap chinese junk has gotten more cheaply made in the last ten years. I have a two ton lift I bought at harbor freight 10 years ago that I can lift out my 83SN 351w based engine with (on the half ton - fully extended hole) with the boat on the trailer and no heroic measures. Done it many, many times. It does end up with the cylinder touching the rub rail but it works. Hard to tell from that box and I couldnt find specs online. But you would need an extendable top arm and likely one with extendable roller feet to be in the ball park. It was the biggest fanciest peice of chinese junk I could find at the time...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 7:38pm
All Trade

This looks to be the right one.... Team mechanix is a sub brand of Alltrade.   I guess they were sold at the checker/shucks/Kragen chain of auto parts stores.    No spec's again, but if you can tell from a picture ....   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2012 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

All Trade

This looks to be the right one.... Team mechanix is a sub brand of Alltrade.   I guess they were sold at the checker/shucks/Kragen chain of auto parts stores.    No spec's again, but if you can tell from a picture ....   

Looks like the same one I got off ebay. The fold up outrigger legs are great for storage.

It's Chinese but what isn't nowadays!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 1:28am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

All Trade

Looks like the same one I got off ebay. The fold up outrigger legs are great for storage.

Pete tell me about your overhead hoists, thay look great.

It's Chinese but what isn't nowadays!!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 2:44am
If you buy that, what would you charge to let CCF friends from Lake Stevens borrow it?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 4:08am
Kevin - I'll give you the CCF discount
Pete - that's a nice little adapter you have there.... and I am having a little garage envy right now.   I looked at adding a W beam to the ceiling of my garage this last week, but couldn't justify it on this project.   on the next garage though.... you can be sure I'll be doing heated floors and a lift structure!   
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 8:32am
Your be surprised what you can do with secondhand Palette Racking and a chain hoist,just cut the top off to the height of the garage lift and wheel out the boat,will then fold away or put against the wall to use as storage or a bench

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 9:46am
Jeff,
I found the two electric 1 ton hoists on ebay. I looked for quite some time and the matched pair popped up. They were in great shape but did need a paint job. I'm glad I found them since new are pretty $$$. The outrigger arm on the engine hoist I made since working by myself I needed something to get them up there. They aren't light and even we several other people it would have been hard.

I used conductor bar for the electric since I didn't want festooned cables hanging down. The conductor bar actually turned out to be cheaper than cable!

The other two chain falls (1/2 ton) were purchased new and used to roll a hull over.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2012 at 2:37pm
UK - I looked at some of those too, as I already have a chain fall. The racks were more expensive than the hoist, So for the time being, the hoist seems to be the way to go.    Here are the dims from the seller...
The length is 71" width is 331/2 and height 62"   Since the of my boat is 84 (ref section)   I am guessing that I can take 42" and add ~8" for the fender on the trailer.   
    Since I don't have a good drawing of the unit, I am guessing that at 50" to the center of the boat will give me a ~ 4' lift height if I use 71" as my crane length.   If I use 59" as my crane lenght, I still have 2'7" of lift.    Does that sound right?

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 11:44pm
I went ahead and picked up the hoist this weekend, even if it doesn't work for the boat, I can probably re-sell for the same price as I bought it for.   I love craigslist as a rental service .   

I thought I would add a pic or two of my weekend project. this probably belongs in the off topic section, but I wanted to finish out the thread.    I have had this Datsun roadster for the past ~11 years, I bought it from the original owner, and resto-moded it.    It came to me as a basket case, and was a fun project. I think it is time to move on as we no longer use it, and it has waited 3 years for a new clutch.   The boat will be much more fun for the whole family.   

1969 datsun 2000

Engine out - Engine hoist was definitely the way to go!

BTW,   I didn't know about fram filters when I put this one on      I guess I know better now.... it will come off when the engine goes back in !
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 6:40pm
Awesome! Love that old roadster. Very cool.

Do you think you'll be able to pull the Nautique motor with it?

Kevin
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 6:48pm
I put the hoist together saturday morning and immediately hooked it up to the roadster motor.    I'll have to check on the boat height, but I am thinking it work, but will be tight!

How was your week break?   did you get all that you wanted to done?

lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 8:33pm
I used a tree and a chain hoist. I have also beefed up a bottom cord of one of the trusses in my garage and cut a hole for the chain, but the garage is so full of stuff right now cant get to it
Lakedog55
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 9:11am
Originally posted by lakedog55 lakedog55 wrote:

I used a tree and a chain hoist. I have also beefed up a bottom cord of one of the trusses in my garage and cut a hole for the chain, but the garage is so full of stuff right now cant get to it

Mike,
You need to be real careful with trusses. The bottom cord does not like very much vertical load. It's basically a tension member. If anything, the load should be spread so at least 6 to 8 trusses share the load. How did you "beef" it up? Pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 10:08am
you can put some kicker 4x4's up to the trusses also, and basically use the trusses as a balance point
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 10:09am
you know come to think of it, those basement joist metal adjustable poles would also work very well
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 10:27am
Once again should have been more specific,
Managed to get 2 7'8 2x8 through attic access. then gang nailed to either side of truss, Used tied that load to the top cord with 2x4, also used 2x8 supports like Eric mentioned above. Not real pretty but effective to remove motor, It is tight Ceilings are right at nine.
Mike
Lakedog55
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 11:26am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

you know come to think of it, those basement joist metal adjustable poles would also work very well

Thats exactly what I used. I have a double truss in my garage that we attached a 6X8 beam to when we built it. I put one of those cheap basement poles on it to help with the load. Its pretty beefy on its own but I didnt want to chance it, its a 16ft span so I thought putting the beam in the middle wouldnt hurt and it was only 20 dollars.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 12:55pm
If you have ever dropped anything big.....

You will just spring for the $$ for the right stuff.

Tim
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

If you have ever dropped anything big.....

You will just spring for the $$ for the right stuff.

Tim

ditto.... I have used the trusses, with a spreader over several, but certainly scares me.... The last time I did that I vowed never to do it agian.   Roadster motor and tranny must come out together, and with the cast iron motor block, I was figuring close to 1K on both.    My garage ceiling has storage trusses, and can take some weight, just didn't want to push it.   I am happy with the choice I made to get the right equipment...   I always like new tools anyways
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2012 at 9:55am
i always use the man method, an engine is roughly 5 average men, if they jumped up and hung from the beam, would the cieling collapse? im one for using the right tool, but you gotta do what you gotta do, i can honestly say that one of my cherry pickers bent right in half from to much weight, i straightened and gusseted it
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2012 at 10:02am
actually 3 200lb men, makes you look at it differently
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic