Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

atom skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
billbixby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billbixby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: atom skier
    Posted: January-08-2012 at 1:23am
anyone out there have any leads on building plans/patterns for the atom skier please? thanks !
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 2:09am
Welcome aboard! Pete will be along in the morning. You may also want to look through the reference section.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 9:40am
There are no plans and I'd be surprised if CC ever had plans as well. I suggest looking for a Atom that you can restore, A reproduction will be worthless. Hopefully you can find one with all the original hardware as well.

Keep us informed and when you find the boat, I have several sources for an engine/trans.

Is there a particular reason you're looking for an Atom? BTW, there were 3 different lengths through the years of the Atom production. CC kept adding length so they could put larger engines in them.

Welcome to CCfan. What part of the country are you in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 11:36am
I know where there is a stripped 1960 Atom hull.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 12:07pm
I think the best way to go about doing this is to find a complete trashed one and use it as a pattern boat that way you end up with hardware and drivetrain. There are plenty of them out there. Piecing one together from scratch will cost quite a bit.
billbixby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billbixby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 2:05pm
Hello,I would be interested in seeing the stripped hull, I guess it's in Maine?
billbixby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billbixby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 2:07pm
Hello, I am in massachusetts, I bought an atom yesterday with no engine and trans, I am looking for plans to help speed up cutting new pieces for the hull, Thanks for any info you might have re eng and trans.. !
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by billbixby billbixby wrote:

Hello, I am in massachusetts, I bought an atom yesterday with no engine and trans, I am looking for plans to help speed up cutting new pieces for the hull, Thanks for any info you might have re eng and trans.. !

The year or length of the Atom would be great to get the proper size engine.

Pictures please!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 3:15pm
Bill, the one we have is a 16'. It's been completely stripped, but all the wood is there. If you want to come to Maine and get it, you can have it. I'd rather see it go off with someone that can use it rather than see my BIL get sick of looking at it in his front yard and burning it up. The engine was a 256 135 hp y block. We sold it to a friend, but he hasn't done anything with it and he mightbe interested in selling it.
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 3:17pm
If that's the atom skier I looked at yesterday morning best wishes. Very few original parts left there. They are a real pretty boat. My son and I are working on a junior utility and have gotten the bug so to speak.
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 3:19pm
If no takers I'd consider taking that off your hands Riley.
billbixby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billbixby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 5:10pm
Hi Riley, That would be great, and thanks very much, the one I got yesterday is a 14...I'll give that motor some thought tho, did it have a transmissioo with it? Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 5:22pm

Hi Riley, That would be great, and thanks very much, the one I got yesterday is a 14...I'll give that motor some thought tho, did it have a transmissioo with it? Bill

Bill,
Since the Atom you purchased is the 14'6", the engine Bruce (Riley) mentioned will not fit. FYI, the 256 Y block is a V8! What you want is ether the Correct Craft 60 HP or a Gray 620 60 HP. I'll get going on the hunt for you. I have the CC 60 HP which is actually a Chris Craft B engine private labeled by Correct Craft.

You need to fill us in on how much wood boat experience you have, provide pictures and most important keep the restoration original!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 6:27pm
Out of curiosity Pete ,what was that 70hp Grey I had in the American Skier?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Out of curiosity Pete ,what was that 70hp Grey I had in the American Skier?

Gary,
I believe it was a later version of the 620 where they had boosted the HP by 10. Throughout history, all the engine manufacturers did it. But, without a model number of your original engine, it's speculation. What happened to the engine/trans? Did the fox river "river rat" get it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 8:06pm
The boat was lent to me from a good friend who as an auto shop teacher it was given to.He then bought a '77 Nautique.I used it a couple of years with the intention of buying it,but then came across the Mustang.Last I heard it was headed east on route 62.I thru out all the paper work I had for it but not too long ago someone posted a build sheet page? of a Classic.On that page I believe the AM was on it,I think it was AM 364.If you go in my avatar picture page you can see it in the back ground.It was a nice little unmolested boat but had bad gel cracking.A real twin to Steve's, only a 4 banger. Maybe I should have kept it?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 8:51pm
Gary, 70 hp in a Mustang hull? What it top out at?

Bill, if I understand your post, you don't want or need our Atom. If that's the case, Jack you're welcome to it.

Pete, how would a flathead 8 be in that 14.5' Atom? Not a straight 8, but what I saw you refer to in another thread as a flathead V8, although I was admonished many years ago for calling one that.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Gary, 70 hp in a Mustang hull? What it top out at?   

Pete, how would a flathead 8 be in that 14.5' Atom? Not a straight 8, but what I saw you refer to in another thread as a flathead V8, although I was admonished many years ago for calling one that.

Bruce,
To my knowledge, the flathead V8 was never commercially marinized plus it would have been quite heavy for a 14'6" hull. The first 14'6" could only handle a 4. Then the hull was lengthened 6" to handle a 6. It was again lengthened to handle the Y block.

My little Atom with the 4 will do about 38. Not bad for 60HP but it's a very light hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 9:37pm
I have no idea Bruce it was pre gps days. No speedo just a tach it ran about 33 - 3400.It sat in the water all summer and as time would go on the bottom growth would really be noticeable.Great memories
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 9:37pm
Bill,
Is that your real name? You haven't filled in your profile and may have not noticed that we here on CCfan prefer first names. Complete your profile!

OK, I'm on the hunt for your engine/trans. Do you want it rebuilt or as is?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 9:45pm
Bruce,

Pete answered between the time I saw your post Bruce and came back after digging out this picture. Pete said this in another thread:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Somewhere along the line I believe someone started talking old flat head V8's and not flat head marine engines!

and I didn't get it as he seems to distinguish between a flat head V8 and a marine engine. Clearly this one is both.

Tho now I might get his point that the marine flathead V8s out there may all be home made. Not sure, but I have seen a few of them. Ever since my 1950 F1 pickup I had in grad school with the flat head V8, I have thought they were cool motors. I have considered one for my crackerbox project I hope to tackle some day. The original fords were 60 hp which isnt much for a somewhat high performance boat, but there are some out there, and as Pete said, they do ok in a lighter boat. As the years went on they got up to 80 and 90 hp from the factory. Hot rodders can do better than that with them Marine versions are cool but scarce as hen's teeth. Every now and then I see the water jacket manifolds for them on ebay and they always command a pretty high price.
billbixby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billbixby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 9:59pm
as is thanks
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 10:02pm
Pete, 38 is really impressive for 60 hp. Gary, out Mustang tops out at 35 with 100 hp. I wish its cruising speed was 35.

Larry, I know someone that has one of those flathead 8 marine engines.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 10:08pm

as is thanks

I'm on it!!
Don't forget to fill us in on your details as well as filling in your profile. CCfan is a pretty tight knit organization and very "family" oriented. Join the group!!! BTW, if you don't and so far you haven't, I'd be very disappointed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Larry, I know someone that has one of those flathead 8 marine engines.   

Wonder if its the same guy I talked to up your way that made a hobby of the flatheads. He had several he was working on/selling.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 10:35pm
i would get the y block and jam it into the 14 footer.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 10:55pm
[QUOTE=Riley] Pete, 38 is really impressive for 60 hp.

I'll vouch for him Bruce,the 1st reunion I went to I thought we would be waiting up for him.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2012 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

i would get the y block and jam it into the 14 footer.

Peter,
I actually know someone who did that. He started with a beat up old 14'6" Atom, glassed the bottom and stuck a 289 in it. I was running next to him when his whole idea fell apart. The glass didn't stick (I told him it wouldn't) and the whole bottom came off in pretty much one sheet. That old Atom went down to the bottom of the lake within a couple minuets!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 4:22am
There is a 1954 atom for sale in the western mass craigslist for $400 if anyone is looking for one....need complete restore which is obv at the price
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 9:11am

as is thanks

Call 630-584-1188 ask for Kim. This is the person who bought all the surplus Gray parts. A friend of mine just last week traded a Gray 620 for other parts. Before he traded it, he did a compression test and all 4 cylinders came out between 120 and 130. It also ran great.

Bill, don't forget to fill us in with more info about yourself and once again, we love pictures!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic