Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much to restore this neglected interior?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much to restore this neglected interior?
    Posted: January-09-2012 at 8:42pm
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 9:01pm
What someone is willing to pay for it!

Seriously, if you could get it for the current bid, that would be a good buy.

Figure $3500 for an interior, if you do most of the work yourself.

Do you need this much boat?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 9:02pm
Tough call. The torn skins would be available, but not sure on the prices. The rest might be able to be cleaned up.

It looks like they added graphics from a newer year boat.

The engine looks like it has a lot of surface rust. Also, it's carb'd, which isn't a deal breaker, but less valuable than a GT-40 boat.

And oh, the owner overstates the top speed a bit
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 9:27pm
I have a strange feeling about it. Why no current pictures,why isn't it winterized,why the Arizona registration???
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 10:04pm
RUN! Those pictures and that description give every indication that that boat has been abused, and might even possibly be stolen. Seems the auction lister doesn't know the first thing about the boat either. On the plus side, it does apparently throw a monster 5" wake for those "experienced boarders"...
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2012 at 10:44pm
Thanks guys for the damage control, especially to my wallet.

Still looking for a good deal '95-'99 wakeboard boat with a well taken care of GT-40 PCM Ford.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 12:19am
Originally posted by jo-e90 jo-e90 wrote:

Thanks guys for the damage control, especially to my wallet.

Still looking for a good deal '95-'99 wakeboard boat with a well taken care of GT-40 PCM Ford.

What exactly are you looking for in the boat? What is your budget? '95-'99 wakeboard boats (Sport, Super Sport, Air really as your only options for dedicated boarding boats) will typically start at about $15k.
I was looking for something similar, but found a smoking deal on my '96 ski instead. I've since taken a liking to slalom and barefooting but was a pretty die-hard wakeboarder. I still load it down occasionally with about 1200-1500lbs of ballast and a few friends and the wake is plenty for me to throw any of my inverts/spins.
I look at it this way, you can always add weight to a SN and make the wake bigger, but it's pretty hard to subtract weight from one of the bigger boats to make the wake smaller. :)
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 12:54am
I as well am looking for a smoking deal. Found this 1998 AIR here on CC for $9800http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=6067&sort=&pagenum=1 Can someone check it out for me?

The Nautique dealer in Orlando told me the Sport would be good for my needs but the Ski Nautique hull is good up until 1996 for halfway decent wakeboarding and has the GT-40 from 1995- 2003. I would not mind barefooting/surfing either.
Have little mechanical skills but like to work on my own stuff, so would need the most reliable motor, not the GM Apex and DD does not hurt as easy to work on.

I particularly dont care for the slanted/angled transoms on the 1990-1997's for slipping/falling purposes.

Weight is not a big factor for me as I want the best fuel economy.
No carbs either, except....Been looking at these excels as well-
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/?yrstart=&yrend=&model=excel&state=&pricestart=0&priceend=100%2C000&sortBy=Date+Updated&Submit=Search

My budget is around $10k - $11k but most are too far away or they are overpriced compared to the deals I find.
I get a kick out of these for sale ads that tell you what engine came with the boat from factory or how many hours but do not say a peep about how it was cared for or what if any parts have gone bad or need replaced. It is very hard to buy a boat without having daddy's $$ or seeing it or taking a set behind it, especially in the winter when boats are cheaper at times. I cannot afford a money pit but I want good resale.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 6:57am
Originally posted by jo-e90 jo-e90 wrote:

I as well am looking for a smoking deal. Found this 1998 AIR here on CC for $9800http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=6067&sort=&pagenum=1 Can someone check it out for me?

Much nicer boat than that one on Ebay you were looking at. The price is quite good and it has the GT40 engine. This is the boat I would check into further.
I am somewhat biased though.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 11:07am
yes, that 98 in the diaries does look good and price is right. I would look into it.
kelly mac 67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelly mac 67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2012 at 9:33pm
I do interiors for about 2000.00 to 3500.00 depending on wood replacment foam ect ..... And iI have about 6 full boats going now so thats a fair market fo most
Kelly Mac
Nasty99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasty99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 2:05am
I just found this discussion on my boat, the 99 Air Nautique that was listed on ebay. I purchased the boat for an incredible price but it is way worse than the ebay pictures depict. I am getting ready to restore the boat but it needs everything. Engine trash, interior nothing salvagable, carpet done, scratches scrapes fading everywhere. The radio works! Any advise, I have the power plant and mechanics covered it's the rest of the boat I need advise on. I am in IL so looking for interior restoration using Nautique Skins. Gelcoat restoration with some fiberglass repair. Any past restorer horror stories? I do not want to go crazy with the boat just want to get it back to a respectful fun family boat.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 11:29am
Get it running reliably first before you waste any time and money on the skins or exterior. I would even try to use it for a summer before I got into the "extras". Thats what we did and we were able to identify so other issues by doing this instead of blindly throwing a bunch of money into it.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 11:29am
Show us some pictures and tell us the issues we will go from there.

Nautiqueskins.com is your place to contact about the interior skins, the other alternative would be to find someone local that is reputable and does it.

If you want to drive it to ohio I can give you the hookup, great quality and prices about half of everywhere else but obviuosly its a little far to haul it.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 12:05pm
Jo-e90 I think we may have talked about that Sport in the diaries before, you might want to ask why it has closed loop cooling, always a chance it was a salt water boat at some point. Otherwise it looks to be a great price for a really nice boat.

Finding a late '90's Sport or similar with GT-40 for $11,000 ish is a stretch, there are occasional deals below $15,000 now but if much lower there has to be some sort of story that goes with the boat. We have to change your location, "boatless" sounds kind of sad!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 12:17pm
David,
Nasty 99 already bought it so its off the market now. I think you may have missed his post above mine.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 12:19pm
Didn't he buy the Ebay boat, which is different from the Sport in the diaries?

This CCFan stuff can be confusing!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 12:55pm
youre right, sorry I was one that was confused.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 9:31pm
Nasty - Welcome to the site we will help you with the project!

Please put your first name in the site system so we can address you properly.

Don't worry about the appearance just yet, what do you think is wrong with the engine?

If you are going to replace the vinyl anyway, I would scrub it with magic erasers or similar harsh cleaner to get by for a while. I had some mildew spots so stubborn that I had to scrap off with a razor blade - the bacteria had grown right into the vinyl.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Nasty99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasty99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2012 at 1:53am
I will post some pictures soon. The boat's interior is trashed and a Nautique Dealer said the engine was shot because the freeze plugs were pushed out of the block. Oil is milky but engine turned over and ran up to temp like a champ. Next step is to change the oil and see if stays clear after running again. I would be surprised if the block doesn't have a crack in it somewhere.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2012 at 2:03am
If you are trying to get away without a rebuild .....

An oil change won't get rid of the milky oil/water emulsion. You need to warm up the engine, change the oil but add a quart of Rislone or similar product (some people just use diesel fuel), then run at idle or 1000 rpm max for a short time, maybe 10 min, then do another oil drain and refill with clean oil. Even then you may see more residue but it will get most of it.

You might get lucky on the block, you never know!
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2012 at 2:33am
Does the boat have a 351 if so, thay are prown to crack in the back. between the motor and bellhousing! good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic