NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer wheels

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer wheels
    Posted: January-20-2012 at 12:26pm
I'd like to replace the wheels on my 86 ski nautique trailer.
15s-6 x 4.5 bolt pattern (I think) any suggestions?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 12:41pm
22's with Spinners?? LOL

With the colors in your boat any chrome or Aluminum wheel would look very nice. On my 77' I changed the wagon wheels to a basic chrome with blue hub, inexpensive (back then) and looked good.

Our Paragon was originally equipped with the same wheels, chrome with a gold hub.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 12:44pm
Pretty sure you need the 6x5.5 bolt pattern, which is common. My vote is to keep it original!

Trailer wheels at Shadow
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 12:49pm
That Paragon is soooooo sexy.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 1:36pm
cragar makes a nice 5 spoke trailer wheel I was eyeballing. They also make a v-5 in powder coat black that is very similair to original just a little more contemporary and they are pretty cheap like 50 bucks.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 1:56pm
I think your rig would look baller as hell with something like the 89-02s wheels. Black web with chrome rim. I will probably eventually do the same with my black trailer. Get a good side profile photo of your boat and have some fun with photoshop.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 2:02pm
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 2:07pm
Exactly, sort of.

I haven't done any measuring myself, but this one might work.

94-5760
15 in. x 7 in., 6 x 5.5 in. Bolt Circle, 3.75 in. Backspace
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 2:24pm
I still like the original chrome wagon wheels better, but if you really want to simulate the 89+ trailer look, you'd want a basic set of modulars in the proper size, like these:

Northern Tool

Paint them black, and add some chrome "beauty" rings:

15" beauty rings on ebay

Thats exactly what CC/Ramlin did.
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

cragar makes a nice 5 spoke trailer wheel I was eyeballing. They also make a v-5 in powder coat black that is very similair to original just a little more contemporary and they are pretty cheap like 50 bucks.

Is that one in the link the exact size we need for our mid-80s beauties?
ggodwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggodwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 3:46am
i went with just black trailer wheels there only around $99 with the tires on ebay
Greg G
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Is that one in the link the exact size we need for our mid-80s beauties?

I dont know about exact, I was just looking more on style than the size of the one I looked at. I would have to do some measuring. I am sure tim knows. I like the idea of black with that chrome ring and maybe some chrome lug nuts.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 1:25pm

I want to say those are the same as pictured below.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 1:47pm
shiny looking dust cap too, baller as hell?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 2:12pm
ya, Im with HW, that would be baller, and after looking at that picture with that 2001 it just doesnt quite fit with that boat style. I think I will go the baller accessory route and maybe powdercoat the original rims on mine black.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 2:28pm
Why bother with powdercoat? Rough them up and get a can of spray paint. If the chrome is in good shape though that'd be a shame to paint over it. Mine were too far gone.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 2:37pm
mine are shot, I dont have any pictures but they are all rusted. I think the powdercoat will last longer. And I get stuff powdercoated for free (price of powder). I have some black por-15, I guess I could always throw that on and see what happens.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 2:40pm
I used rattle can Rustoleum and it's been on there for over 10 years w/o any issues.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 2:57pm
Rattle can all the way.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 3:02pm
Its easy to remove rust from chrome using Barkeeper's Friend. You can find it next to the Comet in Walmart.

If the chrome is peeling off, then youre out of luck... either rattle can them or pony up for new wheels (linked above for $80/ea).
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Its easy to remove rust from chrome using Barkeeper's Friend. You can find it next to the Comet in Walmart.

If the chrome is peeling off, then youre out of luck... either rattle can them or pony up for new wheels (linked above for $80/ea).

good advice! I have some barkeeper in the house, I will try it. I used it on the intake manifold and it worked pretty well there for removing rust. Its worth a shot at least. Should I try and clear coat a spot if the chrome has started to peel.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 3:38pm
This is what I'm going after.

You may even be able to put those rings on the wheels you already have (after painting)?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 4:06pm
Ill try cleaning up what I have then thats option 2
dmiracle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmiracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 6:29pm
For Hollywood......(any chance to show off my trailer restoration :))

Doug
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 5:19pm
I think this one may be too far gone

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 5:24pm
^^ looks like a good spare ^^

Originally posted by SkiLuNautique SkiLuNautique wrote:

I'm touching Myself

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 5:37pm
My wheels have a little rust. I'm going to try Barkeepers friend and a scotch brite pad. Then rattle can black crome paint.(As seen on Gearz TV) If I don't like it I'll buy 2 new rims and use the best old one for my spare.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 6:28pm
I have a free rusty-chrome spare somewhere in the woods along 93rd St. in Powers Lake if anyone is interested in finding it...
P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by dmiracle dmiracle wrote:

For Hollywood......(any chance to show off my trailer restoration :))

God that thing looks great! Very jealous.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 1:32am
Someone say Bling!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic