Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gator Bait??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gator Bait??
    Posted: February-27-2014 at 6:48pm
Back safe and sound from FL... Another lovely trip.

A very low wind day afforded us a nice trip out to Cabbage Key in the Nautique with plenty of dolphins. Jackie even saw a dolphin in front of the rental house in Cape Coral.

Another day we took the Nautique from the Franklin Locks to the Ortona locks which are 27.9 miles upriver. Next year we might try for Okeechobee which is another 15 miles upriver from Ortona. I understand there is a restaurant in Clewiston on the water named Scotty's Tiki Bar at the Roland Marina. It's another 5 or 10 miles. If we headed out early enough that might be doable.

We hit a local car show and museum another day at Rick Tworgey's Muscle Car City. Also did a nice little hike nearby where we saw a big 12 foot+ gator and respected the "Do Not Approach Gator" signs. Also walked around a place on Charlotte Harbor called "fisherman's wharf". No fishermen are there anymore, just foo-foo shops.

Other than that we just skied out collective asses off!

It was awesome...
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2014 at 10:42am
Thanks for the info on Fishing, John!

we made it out to Cabbage Key yesterday as the winds were down. The guy we parked next to in a fishing rig says "You got a perfect day to bring that boat out here". He's right cuz there are many that are too windy and too rough. Then he says "That's a FAMOUS boat". Obviously the man knew his boats.

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2014 at 8:56pm
John, happen to have a pointer to someone to hire for some Gulf Deep sea fishing? thx

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2014 at 9:02pm
Thanks for the river updates, John!! Hopefully the FOURTEEN inches of snow we are supposed to get Weds won't hamper Thurs driving. I PM'd you my cell phone number. Give a call if you can spare time for a couple runs.

thanks!

Rick

1964 American Skier
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2014 at 8:40pm
Good news Rick,I measured 70 degrees in the Caloosahatchee main section this afternoon. Should be all good.
john
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2014 at 9:44am
The river was butter all day yesterday but is a bit cold. I think I saw the water temps at 66 west of 75. Warmer the further east you go. Its gonna rain today but the end of the week should be good.
Let me know if you need anything while in town and have fun.
John
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2014 at 4:41pm
Great gator pic! My stones aren't big enough to have my hands that close to his feeding end. Agreed on the wetsuit, but it's a shortie in case you guys bring in some of those FL 50s or lower 60s.

1964 American Skier
Florida Inboards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Florida Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2014 at 4:19pm

We keep em as pets!
Money Talks! BS Walks! and loose change rides the bus!!!
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2014 at 4:13pm
What's the wetsuit for?
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2014 at 1:06pm
Caloosahatchee, here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1964 American Skier
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 5:50pm
Pete...I think the bigger threat is for those boaters who imbibe a bit too much. Need to be careful with the "hoog" while boating on the Chain. Not having your "Fox Waterway Sticker" is a big red flag for Johnny Law to come and get you. $15 for a one day pass isn't too bad. I highly recommend a designated driver.   

John....Once or twice a summer, its a blast to get a good size crew together and take a boatful of folks on a cruise around the Chain. We start at Pistakee Lake, and go in a big counter-clockwise circle into several lakes, and passing through narrow channels that were dug to connect the lakes, and then back down into Grass Lake to stop at Barney's Island, which is a manmade island (wood pilings) in the middle of Grass Lake. You can only get there by boat.

After a day of partying at Blarney's, we usually stop at a Mexican restaurant to have dinner. Attached is a link that tells a bit more about the Chain, including a map. It would be a great CCF weekend outing. And....NO GATORS!!

Chain O' Lakes
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by PAPA PAPA wrote:

Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Now Pete....I am starting think YOU kind of like Blarney's

What's not to like? "Somebody" just posted this link recently, but, here it is again.

Blarney's Island

Does the wife go?? She loves it! Says it makes her feel young again

Next summer....you have to join us on our annual Blarney's pilgrimage. Gotta bring your wife though   

Dave, The place looks awesome. I bet you can have a fun time there.Thanks for the post.

John,
What they don't tell you on the Blarney's site is there are many time of the year that it's under water!!!!!! Yes, it was an island at one time if you could call it that but now, the whole place is on pilings. When the water levels go to the high side, Blarney's goes to the low side!!

John,
Well, maybe you can get me out there! It's that damn fee I need to pay for even the one day pass! (I think the water patrol spend lots of their time out at the island!

The last time I went on the fathers day cruise down the river with the Blackhawk chapter, we all ignored the passes. Or guide knew all the water copps and said he could talk his way through the issue if it came up. Sure enough it did but sure enough he did talk them out of issuing citations!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
PAPA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 12:12pm

What's not to like? "Somebody" just posted this link recently, but, here it is again.

Blarney's Island

Next summer....you have to join us on our annual Blarney's pilgrimage. Gotta bring your wife though   

Dave, The place looks awesome. I bet you can have a fun time there.Thanks for the post.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2012 at 2:32am
well I'll tell you guys...there mighta been a few gators around..we rarely see them but what I do know is me and Eddie were the only boat on our lake today. Sunny..light breeze and upper 70's.

just sayin'

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2012 at 10:18pm
Yeah, there is a course on one of the oxbows east of the Franklin locks. My wife says "you want to ski here?". I look around and say "If I were a gator, this is where I'd want to be, no thanks".

But yeah the section near Jacks is very nice... Oh wait... It's terrible there, no one should ski there. The conditions are horid there, you really want to go somewhere else.

1964 American Skier
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2012 at 6:39pm
We have gators in our lake. You'll see one in the lake once in a while, but they go under before you get too close. I did have a three foot gator swim right up to the Mustang while it was idling. Has anyone see the show Gator Boys ? I think it's on the History channel. Those guys are crazy.
Tim D
vixen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2012 at 5:13pm
Rick,used to ski that stretch down by the 31 bridge all the time.The darn gaters an snakes were east of the locks,didn't ski up there.Used to have a course an all set up there back in 84,had a lot of fun on that part of the river.   Mel
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2012 at 11:46am
People up here get freaked out about swimming with 36" Togue and eels, you guys must have a lot fun skiing with us northerners down there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2012 at 10:46am
Originally posted by vixen vixen wrote:

What area on the river are you going to be skiing.   Mel

West of the Franklin locks and east of the power plant.

Rick

1964 American Skier
vixen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2012 at 9:01am
What area on the river are you going to be skiing.   Mel
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2012 at 1:44am

Blarney's Island

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 9:58pm

Here in Chicago, no alligators, but we do have to deal with ill-tempered, mutated seabass! They're especially bad on the Chain o' Lakes up by Blarney's. Nasty buggers!

Dave,
Back on that damn chain again I see!! You must realy like Blarneys"s. BTW, I need to ask, do you take your wife on these trips?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 9:37pm
Here in Chicago, no alligators, but we do have to deal with ill-tempered, mutated seabass! They're especially bad on the Chain o' Lakes up by Blarney's. Nasty buggers!

Okay, back to my secret, underground lair!
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 9:12pm
here in N.E we have painted turtles with violent tempers
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 8:24pm
Yea this time of year they are kinda lethargic but wait til late march through mid May they get a little Territorial! Breeding season.   
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 7:27pm
like i said.........
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

There are more gators on the St. John's River than most lakes in Florida. Our annual SJRR is there in 2 months.

...and here I thought those were just black, dirty bouys, with lumps that I've been skiing around for the last couple of years.

LOL! Tim, that's one of the yearlings!!!
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 5:08pm
OH! For a sec I thought they gave up on there football program of ever winning and started a ski team.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 4:15pm
So far every year at the SJRR more people have eaten gators than gators have eaten people.. hopefully we continue the streak in March!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2012 at 3:26pm
I used to ski with the gators once a year. We had a mutual agreement, I won't bother you if you don't bother me.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic