NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 Wildcat - 426 Chrysler

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 67 Wildcat - 426 Chrysler
    Posted: January-23-2012 at 12:44pm
Well here she is, in need of restoration to her former glory but returned to the family and on the way to a proper home..

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 12:47pm
Was the doghouse frozen shut?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 12:55pm
What a beautiful boat! Looks like everything is there, even the scripts!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:00pm
The trailer has those rare factory prototype trailer quides from Correct Craft that Gary S. has. Great looking boat.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:02pm
Parts needed? I've got a Bearclaw vent, some of those bullet nose cleats.    Let me know!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:03pm
The pictures I took were mostly to point out the problem areas to Peter before we committed to a sale... not designed to show that it is as a relatively solid, all there boat with believably well under 400 hours.

It is now in my shop so more engine pictures will be possible.

The boat was surrounded by a layer of ice that extended 50 miles in every direction (hilly backwoods area). The house was up on a hill that when I tried to drive up the driveway and decided to stop before causing too much trouble less than a quarter of the way up I slid slowly backward - all 4 tires locked back to the bottom. If the guy (david - nice guy) was willing to come down another 500 to where I wanted the boat at I would have been willing to hang out a day and let the ice melt but as he held his ground I told him he had to deliver it to the road. 250 lbs of salt and the back blade of the tractor is what it took to get done.

988 miles round trip - 27 hours - should have been 24 or less but the ice was an issue - in hindsight the 4wd tahoe would have been more appropriate than the 2wd expedition - the cruise control on the tahoe being broken "seemed" like a big issue before I left

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:06pm
The funny thing about that trailer is that I bought an all blue white interior 71 mustang (with an omc) about 75 miles west of there that came on the exact same trailer. I would bet they originated from the same dealer who had great taste in color schemes, but lousy taste in trailers and an aversion to fords.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:15pm
I was wondering why he had the blade down on the tractor! Quite an adventure.

The boat looks really nice. I notice the tabs on a Wildcat again. I especially like the dash, nice clean layout of gauges.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 1:30pm
what are you gonna do about those cracks? Re-gel?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

what are you gonna do about those cracks?

Could you imagine asking your mother that or maybe even your wife . Since we tend to refer to boats in the female gender I've adopted somewhat of a new philosophy on the subject to just clean her up really really nice and then embrace those graceful, well-earned signs of age and experience. And as we know with other types of enhancements it can get rather expensive
ReidP
1973 Mustang

kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 2:40pm
Joe,I remember the ad saying that boat was in Southeastern Ohio, and I recognized all that ice from Saturday morning. It couldn't have been that far from here. Would have gladly stored it for you till spring.
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 2:58pm
Did the owner supply any information about the history of the boat? From the add it sounded like he didn't own it for very long.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 4:26pm
Joe Thanks again so much thats every thing i wanted. I love the dash and Reid as we have said before I will cherish those cracks . if someday i cant live with them i will address them.
Oh and John sullivan i believe it was his brother inlaws for maybe 25 yrs? and has sat for the last 5 but I am pretty sure it was a cypress gardens boat..
Marty I will get a list together for you Thanks i had never seen those vents before. I have an idea I at least need a c/c script
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 4:31pm
There are some receipts and documents with the boat, he bought it recently from his wifes brother in law who had it sitting. I don't believe the brother in law owned it anywhere near 25 years but I could be wrong.

At lunch time I pulled out the Chrysler marine engine operating manual that came with the boat for a quick read. If I am to believe the notes the engine is in fact the “Golden Commando” rated at 290 Hp @ 4000 Rpm. Which could explain the 13x17 prop.

My guess is that the original owners were Jerry and Maggie who lived at 69 Cottage st, and had a phone number of 928-5666.   Thats what the pencil note in the back of the operating manual says anyway.      
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 4:37pm

It will in fact need one script emblem. The gauges all the way on the left are a Barometer and a clock.
There are two sets of horns on the deck – no word on if either work yet.   But the wheel and the horn ring is sweet hopefully it blasts all 4 of them.
The motor box itself is pretty cool for a wood box – original notice to dealer intact and a electric blower mounted right to the box feeding a bear claw vent on the back sloped part of the box facing the rear seat.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 4:37pm
oh so it isnt one of 3 cypress garden boats    oh well i will enjoy it anyway
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 4:51pm
I think those rear corner vents should have been the clam shells like those found on the other mid 60's boats. Those aren't too hard to find.
With that light color, I doubt the cracks will stand out once it's wet sanded.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 4:55pm
Joe,
Whats the deal with the green and white (looks like missing gel) areas on the bottom???

The inlaw had the boat for a few years and then let it set for 10 years as the boat was a PITA to start . That's what the guy told me when I called anyway..

Good luck Peter, she's pretty cool...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 7:08pm
moj I think they look to me like fiberstrand type patches ?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 8:20pm
Joe I know you have your ford all hopped up so my first question is how fast do you want to make that 413 .

Wildcats are very cool boats especially when you add the 413.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 8:24pm
Happy Wildcat Peter.

Looks like lots of screw holes to fill.

But still a pretty neat old find.

My favorite feature on the old Wildcats was the fold-up
windsheild.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 9:11pm
does anyone have this color all polished up? I see one of reids boats in the diaries its a ski nautique with a 340 but that is either darker or what this is supposed to be
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 9:41pm
Very cool boat Peter and what can you say about Joe that hasn't already been said, the man is awesome. Can't wait to fly him out here to set the Hemi in.

Peter I have a brand new 13x17 RH OJ that came with the Hurricane and I can't imagine it's right for my boat. Keep that in mind when you get the boat on the water it may be an option for you.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 10:02pm
I have to say I have dealt with a few members on here ,Marty, Reid, Bruce, and Joe and others and it seems like everyone would do anything for anyone to help them . I am sure its true across the whole site , Joe you have gone way out of your way here and i will never be able to thank you enough
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 10:03pm
Great looking boat! Would that motor turn a 13x17 near 4000 rpms?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by DHart DHart wrote:

Great looking boat! Would that motor turn a 13x17 near 4000 rpms?

It'll be interesting to find out and if it does it'll also probably pull a wake boarder at 1200 rpm
ReidP
1973 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 10:43pm
If a 240 hp 351w could turn a 13x13 at 4400 on this boat then a 290 hp at 4000 rpm would equal about a 13x17. Could a 240 hp motor turn a 13x13 under this ????

The stuff on the bottom looks like layers of mostly removed bottom paint to me but truthfully I didnt scrape any off to see what was underneath...

Quick pics I got on the way home today... as for the engine the biggest issue for the purists maybe the manifolds. One has been replaced the other has been repaired. I also found the freeze plug that had been replaced by a marina looks like some 12 years ago. The Shaft here looks little sketchy as well like perhaps it has pulled out of the coupling a bit? There is also a reciept showing it had been replaced at somepoint so perhaps the keyway was just cut pretty long at the time.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 10:57pm
looks good to me .. some detailing this year for starters   and maybe some chrome work and missing parts, Joe what in the world is a barometer on these for
one other q I have does the 383 413 426 440 share some parts? manifolds starters dist etc?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 11:04pm
Before smartphones with internet radar that barameter is what told you when it was time to floor it and head for home before the big storm hit. At least thats what they taught me in history class..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Wholsea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wholsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2012 at 11:09pm
Should have waited until today to drag it home, would have been pulling it home in 60 degree weather!

Glad to see it went to someone on here!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 7>
  Share Topic