NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 Wildcat - 426 Chrysler

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
Author
chau8238 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chau8238 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 3:36pm
I am really jealous, I would love a Chrysler Big block motor in my correct craft. It'd make my life easier since I have a couple big blocks for trucks/cars already and plenty of parts laying around.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 3:40pm
Sweet boat Joe !!!
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 3:56pm
Tim

Why would there be ANY oil at all in the crankcase unless it’s sneaking in from
Where it ain’t supposed to be?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 4:00pm
Holy s&%t that sounds good! What an idle rumble. Glad to see you got it splashed before ice in.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Joe

Why would there be ANY water at all in the crankcase unless it’s sneaking in from

Assuming you meant what I corrected above there was a bunch of water in this crankcase from its last time out with questionable exhaust manifold installation... I gave it a quick drain in cold weather through a long hose and put in new oil but certainly there was still going to be a lot of water left on the inside of engine at that point ... it was a frothy mess... the hope would be a couple of cycles of changing the oil and running it in between now with good exhaust manifolds will show clean unwatered down oil sooner than later.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Joe

Why would there be ANY water at all in the crankcase unless it’s sneaking in from

Assuming you meant what I corrected above there was a bunch of water in this crankcase from its last time out with questionable exhaust manifold installation... I gave it a quick drain in cold weather through a long hose and put in new oil but certainly there was still going to be a lot of water left on the inside of engine at that point ... it was a frothy mess... the hope would be a couple of cycles of changing the oil and running it in between now with good exhaust manifolds will show clean unwatered down oil sooner than later.

Oh you work fast. I thought the watery oil was from way back in time! Oh I’m sure now you’re going to get the rest out in a few changes! Wow that engine has a nice whine to it. Can’t wait to hear it at 4800. Looked pretty windy out there!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 4:46pm
Windy? Looked like glassy calm to me!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 5:30pm
Joe,
Great work. I Love the boat and engine!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joe,
Great work. I Love the boat and engine!

Outside of being the guy who's name is on the registration I haven't really done all that much work on this boat, Reidp and his crew put together the engine years ago and I would stay that about 10 correctcraftfans have turned wrenches on this boat to get that engine swapped in and hopefully now running right. I don't know why anyone brings running boats to reunions, definitely better to bring a project and Tom Sawyer yourself up some help.. .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 7:21pm
Great boat and engine. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2017 at 7:59pm
How does that boat handle Joe?

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Moody Blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 8:59am
Played through a sound system, those videos will help me get through winter!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

How does that boat handle Joe?

BKH

Haven’t put a ton of seat time on the boat yet, but I would say it handles decent it’s no ski nautique but at this point I’d say it handles a bit better than a BFN. If you crank on it at speed you are going to get some body roll for sure.   The cockpit is pushed pretty far forward and the bow is all flare and no water line so with two people in it at idle it ends up very nose down, not a positive or negative just an attribute. It moves around a dock reasonably easily, basically does what is expected of a RH prop inboard.   My initial take is that it handles waves relatively well, significantly better than the other 70s and 80s flat bottom correctcrafts… similar to or maybe a bit better than a 2001.   Its relatively big and comfy - 6 people can move around in it without becoming too intimate – the big motor box wants to be sit on.   Getting in and out of the water without a ladder is going to require sticking to a pretty good fitness regimen.

All in all a pretty good executive cruiser
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 11:57am
I would agree. This thing took rough water much much better than I expected for being a big flat bottom. Rolls a little more then expected but doesn't slide as much as some of the smaller boats without tracking fins. Gets out of the water with relatively little bow rise and runs at a nice angle to the water.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 6:07pm
I've driven several Wildcats way back and I do remember them handling pretty much the same as the Cuda's. However, they didn't have the big blocks so they were slower out of the water and slower in the turns.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 7:12pm
I drove this at Badin and made feel the same way I did after my first big old caddy cruise but sounded way better!
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 10:00pm
[QUOTE Getting in and out of the water without a ladder is going to require sticking to a pretty good fitness regimen.

All in all a pretty good executive cruiser[/QUOTE]

I've found if you grab the lifting ring, step one foot on the rudder and then the other on the trim tab you can get in without help. But it sure sure ain't like a swim platform.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

But it sure sure ain't like a swim platform.

Joe is working out what he'll use to reinforce the transom for the platform, same for the backing plates he'll need on the gunwales for the tower.

Joe, did you run 93 octane, and if so seemed ok for the C/R?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 10:27pm
At this point I don't personally have any problems hoisting myself onto this beauty, or helping to hoist up most crew... should that change ill give the rudder a shot. This boat will be 93 octane for sure maybe 91 if traveling where 93 isnt available.   Everything around here gets 93 anyway as that is what the main gas user drinks and managing two sets of tanks would more likely get something blown up than save me money. No pinging at this point- timing is at this point based off my best guess using a tape measure and a piston stop. Nothing wrong with that usually but the spark plug angle on these chrysler big blocks is pretty close to parrallel to the top of the piston which makes the piston stop not so much of a stop as a suggestion. Either way things are likely to stay conservative.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 10:51pm
Now. About those turbos...........
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2017 at 10:55pm

Stay tuned ... its possible that 2018 will be the year of the big block chrysler turbos
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2017 at 8:24pm
Joe I am glad I didn't take on that project, I am sure it would have been cut up and dissolved by now. It's good to see something so different restored by such a group of correct craft fans.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2017 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Stay tuned ... its possible that 2018 will be the year of the big block chrysler turbos

Great news! I will wait patiently! 2018 is very near my friend!
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2017 at 8:48pm
Amazing restoration. Loved the videos.

Waldo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 567
  Share Topic