NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

67 Wildcat - 426 Chrysler

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 11:16pm
thanks for the offers we are going to try and figure it out in the next few weeks.
Zach i could always set one up thru summit for about 1400 and paint the aluminum blue intake is 790 plus 2 carbs misc linkage .. maybe more like 1800 , i think i'll wait
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 11:19pm
A good quick read. It does not really pertain to marine applications, but still some good info.

http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild/ccrp_0711_1964_mopar/viewall.html

A six pack set-up would look good too! Intakes are much more affordable.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2012 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Unfortunately the cover going from the windshield to just behind the seats left not only a bunch of snaps and snap holes but also left the deck exposed to considerable sun which is my guess at to the origin of most of the gel cracking issues.

Interesting theory Joe. As you know my deck is not too bad considering how the boat was taken care of. But when you pull off a step pad you would be surprised the crazing under them and everyone of them is the same.So I thought it was something to do with covering the gel up and maybe it getting hot and no air circulation?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 12:56am
My mustang also has bad cracking under the step pads.. water?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 1:23am
If you were gonna get crazy in the HP department with this bad boy.. there were a few options offered from chrysler marine in the 426 that year.. B code- the golden commando 290, the C code- Golden lion 310, the D code- golden lion 325, and the SKI code- Golden Lion special at 415 hp. Only the 310 shares the 8.2:1 compression ratio of the current B code engine. My guess is the only difference is the dual carb intake and being rated at 4400 rpm. The 325 bumped the compression to 9.2 and also had the dual carb intake and 4400 rpm rating. The 415 was an 11:1 compression engine also with a dual carb intake but rated at 5600 rpm. I wonder how many of those survived in one piece until today? It would be worth a few gallons of race gas just to hear one scream.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 1:34am

My mustang also has bad cracking under the step pads.. water?

Could be, never even thought of that.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 1:53am
Joe, your a good man for all your help with that boat, must be hard not to tear into it. Looks like a fun project.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 2:52am
A guy in my neighborhood still has this Golden Lion sitting in his yard.
http://www.nautiqueowner.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12370&PID=135477&title=for-the-mopar-fans

There's very little in the manual about the 426Ski, but I wonder if it might have been a hemi to get its hp to 415. I believe the auto hemis were 425 hp.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 11:30am
That's a very cool looking engine! I assume that's the 9.2:1 325 hp version? That thread was over 3 years ago, is the boat/engine still sitting as it was then?

I bet there aren't many of those marinized engines around for someone who wanted one for a project.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 11:33am
Wow Joe this is interesting. I would freak if I found a 426 ski. It would have been very easy to get a 426 wedge to 415 hp. Mopar is easy to make power ;). This could end up being a very beautiful very fast boat.

Is this a standard or reverse rotation because I just had a very interesting idea for camshaft selection that will make big power.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 11:35am
looking at the stats on these and other mopar engines of the early /mid sixties its no wonder those boxy plain jane fury satelite style cars dominated the quarter mile thru those years .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 11:38am
Peter is seeing the mopar light!! haha
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 11:38am
David, that engine is in a Century Coronado. My neighbor is putting a new bottom on the boat for a customer. Every so often I ask him if he wants to sell that engine.

The Chrysler manual is in the reference section. It covers a lot of engines and is pretty interesting reading.

Peter, they sound a lot better than a GM, too.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Don't worry about that "clown" in Chicago he never buys anything, just a keyboard kicker.

Yeah, what a clown.. Eventhough he was kicking for another clown, he's still a keyboard kicker for sure.....
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 12:41pm
Our skylark has cracking under the pads too I was thinking heat? Being white I doubt the pads would have produced enough heat to crack the gel. My 86 has little tiny heat cracks on the top deck between the front and rear step pads along the gunnel I assume the gel was a bit thinner in those areas causing worse heat cracking. The previous owner left it uncovered for large amounts of time in direct Florida sunlight.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 1:13pm
My Skier has a lot of cracking, including a few pretty large fissures. Some of it is stress, like around the tow pole where it goes through the seat back. Some I'm not sure, like in the dash top. I just look at it as part of the character of an almost 50 year old boat. I've never had the pads up to take a look there. The motorbox is almost perfect, yet that's been a seat for people almost every time out in the boat.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 3:36pm
Step pad + (FAT ASSES)= Cracking......
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2012 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

A guy in my neighborhood still has this Golden Lion sitting in his yard.
http://www.nautiqueowner.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12370&PID=135477&title=for-the-mopar-fans

There's very little in the manual about the 426Ski, but I wonder if it might have been a hemi to get its hp to 415. I believe the auto hemis were 425 hp.

I have a friend that has the 2x4 / 426 in his Century. Very Kooool!

Nice old 'Cat!!!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 2:44pm
100 octane required !! Too bad that stuff isn't around for 89cents any more !!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 3:50pm
From the old thread Bruce linked....you can tell its from a few years ago. (2008)   

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Chuck, great info- thanks. I bet the extra length of the boat smooths out the ride a bit. Come to think of it, I dont think Ive ever seen a SN bounce- only the smaller 16 footers.

Phats, it takes exponentially more power to make the newer boats fast. The 2001 rides more bow-high than the newer boats, but it still has a lot of hull to overcome. Just ask JoeinNY... his 400+hp 408 stroker is hitting somewhere in the 52-53mph range.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 4:17pm
True story - that version of the motor was 403hp on the dyno but never quite saw 53 mph. I am hoping that peter finds a wildcat a little easier to move and sees similar speeds with 290 hp.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 4:36pm
yeah 75 Thats why if any mods are ever done to my 86 for power it will be for holeshot purposes. I think I will be more than happy when I upgrade to the acme 540 now its spinning a 13x13 4 blade super cup oj legend. Good economy at cruising speeds but it lacks holeshot and only spins 4100 at wot.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 5:11pm

True story - that version of the motor was 403hp on the dyno but never quite saw 53 mph. I am hoping that peter finds a wildcat a little easier to move and sees similar speeds with 290 hp.

I'm not real smart about such things, but that's hard to believe there is so much difference between the 16 foot hulls that will run 50+ with a stock motor (like my 305 chevy 230 - 50.7ish) but 403 HP will only beat that slightly in the different (but not that different) hull. Again, I dont know much about it, but I guess it all comes down to physics, pitch, and RPMs. I also guess you can have 403 HP but not necessarily turn more RPMs (tho maybe the capacity to pull out tree stumps?) More HP doesnt necessarily translate to RPMs does it? (I'm thinking weedwacker here and 7,000 - 12,000 RPMs based on a quick look) I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I am curious.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I'm not real smart about such things, but that's hard to believe there is so much difference between the 16 foot hulls that will run 50+ with a stock motor (like my 305 chevy 230 - 50.7ish) but 403 HP will only beat that slightly in the different (but not that different) hull.

Larry, I think your fallacy is your assumption that the difference between a 16' Ski Tique hull and a 18'9" 2001 hull is small... when in fact the difference is pretty significant. The extra weight (600lbs) and size (both length and beam) both translate to a significantly higher wetted surface area on the newer hull. It takes a LOT of power to overcome that much friction.

In simplistic terms for our application, propping for max speed involves knowing where your hp peak occurs (rpm's), and then finding a prop that allows your motor to achieve a WOT speed as close as possible to that point. In theory, a boat that makes 400hp @ 4000rpm should be as fast (on the top end) as a boat that makes 400hp @ 5000rpm... assuming both boats have comparable hulls and are propped to achieve their max power at WOT. At least thats the theory we've been operating under!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 5:30pm
Larry,
Think about hydro's and not much in the water = fast!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 5:43pm
ok so who is gonna attach a hydrofoil to their nautique for our curiosity to be satisfied?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

ok so who is gonna attach a hydrofoil to their nautique for our curiosity to be satisfied?

It's probably on Reid's mind every time he has a problem falling asleep!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 7:41pm

I wish I knew what model, but there was a CC on our lake in the late '60's into the '70's that would run 50, thought to be the fastest boat on the lake at the time. If I had to guess I'd say 19' Wildcat, no idea what the power was. It seems to make sense that the Wildcat has to be one of the fastest hulls they built, an extension of the flatbottom 16 ft. boats, and maybe more to the point a hull capable of running that speed with a bit more stable handling. Joe I'm sure you're right that Peter will be in the 50's with that power. When he adds the intake and dual quads .......

This thread really gets me thinking about taking on a project. The way I move on stuff like this it might take 5 years, but it's fun to think about at least for now.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 9:11pm
Wildcats should be pretty fast, I've seen lots of tabs on them, a buddy has one with a 390fe, it porpoises like a SOB. The motor was never healthy last year but just got rebuilt, WOT speet TBD.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2012 at 9:52pm
I think tim and larry both have a point, a 2001 hull is a lot bigger and harder to push than a 16 footer. But that combination I feel was also not that effective at getting power to the water and I am sure that 400 hp could get a 2001 a lot closer to 55 with the right gearing, prop, etc. I never could quite dial that one in the last 500 rpm were only good for about 1 mph.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic