NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom 1965 Correct Craft Mustang build

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 32>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by mackwrench mackwrench wrote:

It is NOT a "off the shelf" hose, I assure you...

Mcmaster has standard "off the shelf" lengths

nor is it used in standard plumbing.

I never say "standard" plumbing. You must not be around many pipe fitters doing mechanical installs.

It is used on high temp, high PSI applications, like freon, steam and the like

Well, now that it is confirmed the inside is the convoluted stainless, yes, it is for higher pressures but NOT refrigeration.The threaded ends instead of copper sweat at the ends are the "dead give" away.

ain't no boat exhaust going to burn though it...lol...!

This is true but the rubber couplings clamped onto threaded ends are the weak link.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It is NOT a "off the shelf" hose, I assure you...

Mcmaster has standard "off the shelf" lengths

nor is it used in standard plumbing.

I never say "standard" plumbing. You must not be around many pipe fitters doing mechanical installs.

It is used on high temp, high PSI applications, like freon, steam and the like

Well, now that it is confirmed the inside is the convoluted stainless, yes, it is for higher pressures but NOT refrigeration.The threaded ends instead of copper sweat at the "dead give" away.

ain't no boat exhaust going to burn though it...lol...!

This is true but the rubber couplings clamped onto threaded ends are the weak link.

Is a "custom" bilge pump also on the list, 1500 GPH would be a good start.Water has a way of finding it's way "inside boats" and Exhaust fitting are the main cuprit....Boat dr
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 11:20pm

Looks like your really getting into this "custom"...I'm enjoying your progress! Thanks for the updates!
Todd

This threads really just for me and you todd Although the stainless is cool I will probably go to a larger diameter tubing as it has like a half inch turn down at the manifold head. More horses can sing with a larger diameter *Tim Allen grunt*
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 11:43pm
Also, somebody mentioned before that there was "more than one" type of bow light for this boat. What is the alternative to the flashlight one?
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 12:02am
....It's a shame that a few here seem to think their the only ones that can do this.....I was a member here since 05, and I look back to wonder why I never sought out advice, or ideas here, just to get beat down by you two "experts" good luck and good bye....
Jim, You build this boat any way you like, dont let a couple of crusty old farts beat you down, I've not seen many postive posts from them....I'm sure I'm not the only one they encourged to look elsewhere, just look at the 2nd post in this thread....very encouraging! BTW, the stainless hose Jim has was orginal used to handle caustic soda, as it was unloaded froma tank trailer, but of course the experts here knew that.... FWIW
Respectfully, Todd O'Neal
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 12:27am
Todd, I hope you will still follow the thread, I sent you an email.

In no way will I let this become someones else s creation, I would rather let it burn to the waterline. I'm here for information, not opinions. I enjoy a lot of the input dont get me wrong and I appreciate it but a lot of the "tone" I'm hearing is just ignored. This boat will not be restored to original, it is my blank canvas. I feel the same way about it as I do my Jeep, I did not get it to where it is by asking for permission.
If fellow members want to add constructive matter they are more than welcomed, if not they will just be ignored, simple as that. I've been using internet forums for quite a few years, I know how it goes!

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 12:53am
Jim, great attitude, I've noticed you just stay positive every step of the way. Todd, while I know what you are saying, I think you're taking it a bit too far. Yes, some here have very definite ideas about what should be done on these boats, but so what? I'll tell you this - "custom" or not, when Jim asks someone about a cam choice or stringer material or whatever, he'll get some of the best advice available anywhere.

Nice Cherokee! I like that snap down cover, but curious if it leaks a bit if you're on the highway, even with the rubber seal. I assume it's a 4.0?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 1:05am
David, thanks! I know there is some great info here (You answered that gauge question for me!) and forums usually have to be "sorted" and taken with a grain of salt.

And yes, (slight diversion) the cherokee is a 4.0 with the 5 speed AX15 and NP 231 Tcase with an SYE and shortened front DS for the rear. It has ARB lockers with 4.10 gears. Flipped inverted y steering off a european XJ, chevy s 10 rear leaf pack yada yada yada.
Most importantly: Front bumper, rear bumper, rock sliders, rag top, rasised floor to clear exhaust, low profile transmission crossmember, frame stiffeners, gas tank skid, roll bar...

Me,me,me,me,me,me. All hand built in my garage, the way it should be.

And no, the top does not leak in the slightest. The sheetmetal has been rolled to accept the Grand caravan door seals I used, glued in place with 3M rubber glue. The top is made by a local guy (same guy that will make my boat top!) and each rivet was 3M dipped before riveted.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 5:04pm
I can't help but think about the dash.

I'm thinking a piece of mahogany completely covering the face of the console.

Then, a stainless Jeep CJ glove box and lid built into the port side.

2 airguides, arranged early 70's mastercraft style, but not as high, Mounted on a piece of mahogany spliced into the main board. Fuel, pressure temp, tach, volt all mounted center. Tach being the center, 2 of each of the smaller gauges on each side. Key right below the tach. Switches below the smaller volt, pressure, temp and fuel gauges. Symmetry.

Hide the CD player in the glove box along with the XM.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

2 airguides, arranged early 70's mastercraft style,

"Early 70's Mastercraft style" = "Late 60's Correct Craft style", FYI.

The first MC had more than a few Correct Craft parts in it, including most of its hull. It was born from a 1st gen Ski Nautique, after all.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 5:39pm
Like my friends boat, just a little lower.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 5:52pm
How much would it cost to rechrome a bow light?
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 7:54pm
early 70's M/C   
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 8:10pm
Here's the "Flashlight on a Stand" well..... actually cleat.

This one is not the store bought one, this one's way more versatile.

Full Tilt Custom !

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 8:31pm
Hahaha did somebody actually use that? Meh, I guess I've seen similar things come into the marina.

Based on what I'm seeing on the forum I could get a bow light rechromed for under 100 dollars, sound pretty close? The one I'm looking at has some pitting

EDIT: Nevermind just bought it, its very pretty but I will have to rechrome it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 8:41pm
Jim,
The cost of plating really varies. It depends on how deep the pitting is on a zinc die cast part. The plater needs to fill the pits with copper and buff in between. This may take 20 or more trips to the plating tank. It's real labor intensive. So, you really can't guess at the cost.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 8:42pm
Al,
I like it! I could use that idea on my fishing boat. The battery operated nav lights you buy never seem to last very long!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 8:42pm
Use it ?   No.    I built it yesterday for you.   Took 15-20 minutes.

Took longer than that to re-size and post.

Anyway, It was meant to be funny yesterday.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 8:48pm
Eh, if I could keep it under 200 just for the bow light I would be happy but whatever, I'm really in love with this light.

Got my welting in the mail today. Sewed a sample to my viynl choice for effect, cant wait to make the seats!

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 8:49pm
1 vintage Ray-O-Vac 2-D cell
1 4Winns cleat
Duct tape
Hose clamp
Spare Nav. Lens (actually same lens you have on yours)

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

early 70's M/C   

We think its a 73, but there is not a single ID plate or engraving anywhere on it. Its been registered as a 57 alumicraft for longer than anyone can remember. Its got a holman moody 302 that has about 80 psi per cylinder! but hey she floats   
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

1 vintage Ray-O-Vac 2-D cell
1 4Winns cleat
Duct tape
Hose clamp
Spare Nav. Lens (actually same lens you have on yours)

I love that rig! I got a good laugh when I saw the hose clamp to the cleat technique, probably a more secure mount than some bow lights I've come across.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 12:55am
Reconditioned a step pad, still not very found of them. If they were framed I would probably feel different. I will probably fix all four and then just run the summer that way.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 12:59am
Oh and I practiced some varnishing and staining, just a bunch of crap wood red oak poplar pine and cedar. What I'm going to do, for the pursuit of science, is give each type of wood a clear varnish, stain and varnish, CPES and varnish and CPES stain and varnish and leave them on the roof of my house all summer. Just wondering what affect the cpes will have.

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 1:40am
Just got two airguides SUPER cheap off ebay. Somebody obviously didnt know what they were and listed buy it now at 40 dollars! It had 6 days, 23 hours left Even better, they said they tested them by pressurizing them and they work!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 8:29am
Jim,
What did you use for varnish and how many coats? Is the stain "light fast" IE: good for exterior? It will make a big difference with your roof test.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 11:43am

Eh, if I could keep it under 200 just for the bow light I would be happy but whatever, I'm really in love with this light.

Got my welting in the mail today. Sewed a sample to my viynl choice for effect, cant wait to make the seats!

Nice , looks like Hussler is a talented guy. Something to be said for breathing a little life into an otherwise useless hull.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 3:00pm

Jim,
What did you use for varnish and how many coats? Is the stain "light fast" IE: good for exterior? It will make a big difference with your roof test.

Its a Cabot and it says its UV stable on the back, I will do 5 coats on these test pieces because that seems to be whats common for a boat. I will end up using a mahogany board and an actual boat varnish, but I figured seeing how good the cheap stuff is would be fun.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Nice , looks like Hussler is a talented guy. Something to be said for breathing a little life into an otherwise useless hull.

Thank you! I bought the sewing machine a couple of days ago, but I still have plenty of time to learn before I actually get to the seat portion. And yes, this boat was certainly grinder worthy!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 3:23pm

Jim,

Its a Cabot and it says its UV stable on the back, I will do 5 coats on these test pieces because that seems to be whats common for a boat. I will end up using a mahogany board and an actual boat varnish, but I figured seeing how good the cheap stuff is would be fun.

Jim,
Since you are going to do this roof test, I feel it's best to conduct the test with the actual products you will use on the boat. A marine spar varnish is formulated to handle the minor movement of wood that sees moist to dry conditions in a boat. It also has tons of UV filtering in it needed to protect the color. One thing you have forgotten on you test pieces is a open grain filler. Most will have the stain built into them so it will save you the staining step. If you want a smooth finish, the filler must be used on the Mahogany you are talking about using. It, like Oak is an open grain wood.

What did you use as a top coat?

BTW, if you go with the CPES, it must be done after the filler stain. Personally I would skip it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 32>
  Share Topic