Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Overlay Floor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Kevin Carter View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Carter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overlay Floor
    Posted: September-21-2005 at 3:37pm
Let me first say I have a '96 Malibu Skier and not a Correct Craft but I find this site provides more information that relates to my year boat than the Malibu site.

My floor has a few soft spots that I need to repair over the winter and I know there's a current thread that covers floor replacement but what about just overlaying the current flooring. Stringers are in great condition and I could cut a couple of access holes around the soft spots to make sure there's no additional problems. What are the cons to just adding an additional 1/2" flooring on top what what's there?

Thanks for you input,
Kevin
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2005 at 4:00pm
Rot is a fungus that will infect your new wood quickly. Also , weight is a penalty and anything I can do to unload the boat I do, and the result is a better wake for skiing (people still do that, right?)

Best do it right, it only takes a few days more.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2005 at 11:11pm
Kevin...

First of all...make sure the next boat you buy is a CC.

Floor replacement is not a hard task...pull all old sections up and use them as a template...screw the new in! If your new floor sections are done to match the old you should be able to screw into the same holes.

You could do just the bad sections...but might as well do it all while your at it.

I certainly would NOT add over the top...extra wieght and rotting wood under it...not a good combo!

Good luck!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Kevin View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 12:20am
The best I can tell the current floor is stapled down with A LOT of staples. The plywood appears to not be rotted but the glue between the plys just gave up. The soft spots seem to be brittle and not mushy. The extra weight should help the wakeboarding wake. I'm not sure about correct crafts but on my malibu the wood floor goes from the windshield to the transom
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2005 at 6:58pm
You'll spend almost as much time doing the overlay "Patch" job as replacing the entire floor. It's not that bad of a job... lots here have done it. Try and remove the floor in as few of peices as you can, use the old as a pattern, if you must just fix where it's bad, try and cut out the bad places with a skill saw and glass patches in. Theres a thread in here on that as well. I have a buddy that has a newer Malibu, its' a nice boat but I am too reto Correct Craft.... Kinda like some people only buy Caddy's? There's a lot of knowadlge on this site so use it!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic