NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Darrin Shapiro Arrested

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Darrin Shapiro Arrested
    Posted: February-08-2012 at 6:16pm
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 6:35pm
Saw this on the MC thread today. Pretty sad what happens to some folks when the spotlight goes away.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 6:36pm
Spotlight goes away? Might be jumping to conclusions/stereotyping but I bet a lot of these guys are doin the dirty.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 6:42pm
Darn shame too as he was one heck-of-a rider, innovater and a member of the Waterski Hall of Fame! The Man was awesome to watch on the water.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 6:44pm
Sounds like his newest trick will be a "wiener to backside".
...those who have fallen and those who will.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 7:28pm
So sad. I guess being a seven time world champion wasn't enough.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 7:50pm
Mike, I guess what I was saying is that when they are in the spotlight there's normally people there to protect them from being discovered or help them get on the right path. I see it all the time in basketball and football. Once the focus of being an athlete goes away, they resort to the easiest thing which in many cases is drug or alcohol related.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 7:51pm
Good call Chris. Makes a lot of sense. It really is a shame!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 7:59pm
Wow, thats too bad. I remember seeing him compete in the mid 90's on the pro tour, including the year he was throwing the first double front flip off the double up. He was unstoppable back then.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 9:17pm
They should remove him from the WSHOF
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 10:20pm
at least the landings dont hurt
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 10:25pm
you put these guys up on a pedastal (i dont ) their people like me and you, their human, look at Michael Vick, Mike tyson, Rothlesbugar, actually there was a all state high school football star up here in Ohio that just got 30 years for some sex charge. no different than me and you, were running out of role models
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2012 at 11:50pm
His new driver's name is Bubba....and he likes to "weight it down".
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 12:19am
Casey Anthony's lawyer needs work, he'll get the whole fandamily off.
This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 12:58am
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

His new driver's name is Bubba....and he likes to "weight it down".

I wonder if Bubba uses a extended pylon?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 12:59am
This is hard to believe. I first met Darin aka "The Scud" back in 1999. This is when he first started the speedball, double flip. He couldn't stick it that day. Here's a pic.

Tim D
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 2:10am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

you put these guys up on a pedastal (i dont ) their people like me and you, their human, look at Michael Vick, Mike tyson, Rothlesbugar, actually there was a all state high school football star up here in Ohio that just got 30 years for some sex charge. no different than me and you, were running out of role models

couldn't agree more eric..thats why I got my role models close by..

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 3:34pm
If he was a role model solely for his ability to ride a wakeboard you should re-evaluate your role models.

His videos are still fun to watch. He's still a 7 time world champion. What does that have to do with getting locked up for drug dealing?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 3:37pm
How can you say a pro athlete is NOT a role model? Who the heck do you look up to? WNBA players? Wait, they're pros too...

I guess I look up to my dad mainly...but most kids will have multiple role models. I am one for example...a lot of little kids on the ski teams I'm on look up to the older skiers as heroes. But ya gotta pay the bills somehow I guess...

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 4:45pm
It is always sad to see someone run afoul of the law. I don't think that his arrest nullifies his accomplishments. I am not in favor of removing athletes awards or recognition based on an unrelated issue (arrest, affair, whatever). I am sure he inspired others to excel by his athletic skill and performance. His arrest may also inspire others to think about the consequences of his actions outside of the world of water skiing.
I always told my kids to avoid role models, especially in sports. I encouraged them to recognize and respect the dedication and hard work that is required to turn in an outstanding performance in any field. It is better to live your life as if you were a role model than to turn to others to model your life after.

"I'm not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids".
Charles Barkley

1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 5:02pm
role model:

This is the life
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 5:24pm
Yes, but does he prefer Dos Equis?

And yes, most of us still like him even though he spent time in drug rehab for a Vicodin addiction, and liked sexting. It doesn't undo his accomplishments.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

And yes, most of us still like him even though he spent time in drug rehab for a Vicodin addiction, and liked sexting. It doesn't undo his accomplishments.

Undo his accomplishments.. heck some of his most impressive accomplishments were a direct result of sexting
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2012 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Undo his accomplishments.. heck some of his most impressive accomplishments were a direct result of sexting

That could be, my friend. We may never know!

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If he was a role model solely for his ability to ride a wakeboard you should re-evaluate your role models.

His videos are still fun to watch. He's still a 7 time world champion. What does that have to do with getting locked up for drug dealing?

he was arrested for money laundering and racketeering...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 3:09pm
and where did the money come from?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2012 at 8:24pm
i dont know about you guy's but i dont ever remember looking up to an athlete as a role model, maybe the perception around these guys is because they can throw or can catch an inflatable ball that they are brillant....its a profession that doesnt even require a high school diploma
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

and where did the money come from?

LEGAL drug dealing...do you call your pharmacist a drug dealer too...you should...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

i dont know about you guy's but i dont ever remember looking up to an athlete as a role model, maybe the perception around these guys is because they can throw or can catch an inflatable ball that they are brillant....its a profession that doesnt even require a high school diploma

Well all know that your memory isn't as good as it used to be these days Eric so maybe it's more likely that you forgot who your role model was.

I think athletes as role models are fine as long as there antics off the field are just as great as on the field. IMHO I believe that it should be prerequsite for future Hall of Famer.

Micheal Irvin was a heck-of-a FB player but his higher than mighty attitude and antics off the field should keep him out of Canton. For me it's overall character. You gonna let a guy like that in then why not let Pete Rose in; what's the difference?

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 2:57pm
i just dont like Pete Rose, because he was the first to peddle his autograph, dont get me wrong, there are athletes that do dedicate their time to helping others in need. I remember my role model, but it wasnt an athlete, i know that for sure, well maybe Hank Aaron, Gaylord Perry??? Pete rose to me is really the one that turned sports into a business
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic