NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 engine loping

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 9:27am
Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

Just a quick thought. If the idle speed solenoid is failing to open upon hot start and therefore little air is getting mixed with the fuel, if you cracked the throttle slightly to let air in, then it should start rather than just dumping fuel into the cylinders with no start (it would just immediately start racing). Just wanted to check to see that it is not starting when you crack the throttle (at the start, not when it is already "flooded"). If it start when the throttle is cracked open, then it is the solenoid (or something in the line (low voltage, etc.)). If it doesn't start if you crack the throttle at the beginning, then I don't think it is the idle valve solenoid.

Just a thought....

Yep that would be a valid test. I will try that next time it happens as a fault finding option.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 10:54am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

The intermittent problem I have is when turning the engine off after a run it will not restart like normal with no throttle. After you crank it a few times you then have to hold the throttle wide open and clear the flooded condition.

Lewy - believe it or not I occasionally have this problem on my carb'd '89.

I just deal with it as you explained. must be the nature of the beast!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 11:07am
Chris that is the one of the benefits with fuel injection perfect idle hot or cold. Normally best if you leave the throttle alone and let the computer do all the adjusting of mixture and timing. Until something goes wrong.

89 Ski

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:00pm
My experience with having to open a throttle fully on hot starts (on carb'ed engines) is that the problem is generally caused by ignition, not fuel. Weak spark caused by coil, wrong plugs, wrong gap, etc. is something to look at in that situaion, plus timing.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 12:29am
I have a pretty good ignition system, I think that maybe the needle doesn't seat right & lets extra gas flow into the bowl.

I wonder if the FI loping could be a leaky injector?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 12:36am
Sounds like a personal problem :-) , but I believe there are some tests on the injectors in the troubleshooting guide; I suspect I will eventually go through those tests as well (there are about a bazzilion possible causes for what they call "rolling idle"), going to have to plod through a lot of stuff (although some don't make sense, such as blocked fuel filter--you can't run at WOT with no problem and then have a fuel filter cause loping for 60 seconds on start, etc.). So I will pick and choose some of the tests I do. We will find the problem eventually. Too bad PCM is no help; it seems that most of the people there now haven't been there long enough to know what a GT40 is (9 years ago?).
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 12:48am
I don't understand what you mean by loping???
Is it idling high than low/up and down like surging.
Bohinny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 12:57am
My 1995 SNOB GT 40 has the hard start and rolling idle so please post any solutions cuase I sure have not figured it out.
Billy
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 2:11am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by loping???
Is it idling high than low/up and down like surging.

Surging. Up and down, up and down, about a about a 3 second cycle. It will get worse and worse, and half the time it will finally drop low enough that it stalls. The manual apparently refers to it as a rolling idle.
Stone_ld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone_ld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 9:44am
Well, playing role as mechanic is very tuf as repairing of vehicle is not so easy task. As to repair this engine loping is also very difficult, for it auto mechanics plays an important role and there are many online reviews for it.

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:56pm
We've had rain the past two weekends and it's supposed to rain on Saturday. I need a few warm days to have the correct environment for the engine to lope when hot. I have my fuel pressure gauge and a vacuum gauge already connected so I can see what they are doing when it happens. I'll post again when I have some results or move further along in the diagnostics.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 6:31pm
Wow, all I can say is I'm damn impressed with what you guys have come up with so far- lewy and slmskrs especially. Great work so far. I have nothing to add, but I'm staying tuned because this is a really interesting thread!

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 8:59am
Guys went out the weekend and after 2hrs of hard running turned the boat off and sure enough no restart. Tried to restart with some throttle and then removed ISC assy. Still no start the only way to get a restart was max throttle it would restart and run rough until it cleared. I have now ruled out the ISC-BPA. With max throttle the throttle position sensor would probably have been signalling the computer to apply max duty cycle to the injectors making it harder to clear the rich condition.

Plugged the code reader in and found a continuous stored code 15 (Power interruption to EEC computer). Removed 60 pin plug from computer and found some oxidised pins. Cleaned them roughly but a proper clean would need to wait till boat was back on dry land with correct cleaning agents. It restarted but it had probably a 30-45 mins to cool down with the engine cover raised.

It is looking like a heat soak problem with a bad high resistance connection some where. Although this is the first time it has had a stored error code. Maybe the problem is getting worse though.

After some research and investigating found that the EEC has it's own power wire run directly from the battery. It has a 50 amp inline fuse also in the battery enclosure. Always wondered where that extra power wire from the battery terminal went. This power wire runs back to the 12.5 amp cct breaker on the EEC computer bracket then to the EEC relay also mounted on the EEC bracket. The RHS relay when viewing from the rear is the EEC power relay the LHS relay is the fuel pump relay. The EEC power relay supplies power to pins 37 and 57 of the EEC connector. Interestingly it also supplies power to the fuel pump relay activation circuit. The EEC then supplies the ground to complete this circuit and start the fuel pumps. The 15 amp cct breaker on the EEC bracket is the power source for the fuel pumps.

I cleaned up all the contacts but did not find any real bad connections that may have been causing the problem. The 60 pin connector had a couple of pins with white deposits but nothing really substantial. I had a spare relay so I have replaced the EEC relay with it as the HR joint may have been inside the relay. Will see how this goes on next trip out. Will take my voltmeter along with the code reader.

89 Ski

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 12:11pm
Lewy, just as an FYI there was a service bulletin (?) released a while back which eradicates that extra power wire and inline fuse. Essentially the power is instead wired directly to the fused side of one of the push breakers above the engine computer. That inline fuse in the battery compartment is a common source of GT40 problems but I always thought it went to the fuel pump relay. Learn something new every day! I can snap a pic of my wiring on that bracket if you want as I had the fix done by the dealer.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 7:43pm
I'd love to see a picture of the wiring, Joel. Mine still has the fuse. My understanding is that you do a couple of jumpers on the breaker panels. Do you lose the wire to the battery altogether?

I haven't had problems with the fuse. But by removing it, I would never have problems with it.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 9:00pm
Joel would also like to see the pictures or original bulletin. It does seem a complicated way of powering the EEC when there already is the main battery cable located right there on the power assist solenoid.

89 Ski

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 10:10pm
Here you go. You can see the wire tied to the fused side of the 60A breaker (with yellow eyelet crimped on). Now, in my boat's case since I have the electronic dash this wire goes forward to the On/Off/Bilge toggle switch that the electronic dash boats have.

2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 1:19am
Thanks, Joel. I think I have someone lined up to do the fix for me for lunch and some beer.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:57am
Joel where is the on/off/bilge toogle switch located in the engine bay or up at the dash?

If I was to rewire mine I would run a 6-8 gauge wire from the main battery cable terminal on the power assist relay to the 12.5 amp breaker. This small run of wire less than 1 foot would replace the current wire from the battery box to the 12.5 amp breaker.

89 Ski

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:34am

Joel where is the on/off/bilge toogle switch located in the engine bay or up at the dash?

Up at the dash in my case. The switch cuts off all systems in the boat including the push-button/keyless dash which is a parasitic load on the battery. Relevant only to the 2000+ "smartpod" boats but probably not terribly unlike the ignition breaker on the older boats.

I remember when I went to test-drive this boat they still had the positive lead with the inline fuse at the battery. It gave us trouble on the test drive so the dealer I bought it from explained the fix to me and had it done before I brought the boat home.

Just took another look at the wiring and my 12.5 breaker is definitely unmolested. Both connections on it are still plasti-dipped from the factory. Both wires on the 12.5 run neatly into the wiring loom, complete with the woven protective sheathing on them both. There's no way this fix involved that breaker directly in my case- could someone have messed with the wiring on your boat? If not, perhaps the unfused side of the 12.5 breaker is powered via the dash somehow and that's why the new wire on my boat goes forward. Donno.

The red wire with the crimped eyelet on the 60 amp breaker (in the picture) is the ONLY non-factory wire/connection on the whole thing FWIW, and it does go forward to the dash area on my boat.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 5:57pm
My understanding of it is that the wire from the battery is eliminated entirely (not just replacing the wire with a fuse with another wire without one).

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

My understanding of it is that the wire from the battery is eliminated entirely (not just replacing the wire with a fuse with another wire without one).

Correct. Hope I didn't suggest to the contrary.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 6:38pm
You didn't. But I saw a reference to replacing the current wire with an unfused wire above and figured I'd chime in.

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 4:35am

Plugged the code reader in and found a continuous stored code 15 (Power interruption to EEC computer).

What code reader do you use?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 9:54am
This is the Code Reader Gordon the book that comes with the code reader has a lot better run down of the fault codes than the GT40 manual in reference section.

Joel my wiring looks factory all the liquid insulation is still on all the breakers. Would be nice to see the PCM Bulletin that was issued it would clear up what was done.
There must be more to it than just that wire. Seems weird to run that wire back to the dash when the wire on that breaker already goes there via the 10 way harness connector. The wire from the inline fuse probably appears at the dash harness connector and they have done something under the dash with this circuit. I am leaving my inline fuse EEC wire standard at the moment to see if the fault has been rectified.

89 Ski

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 1:41pm

This is the Code Reader Gordon the book that comes with the code reader has a lot better run down of the fault codes than the GT40 manual in reference section.

Thanks Mark. One question: Does it come with a cable to plug into the port on the GT40, or do I need to order an extension cord for it? I have a compter-based ODB++ reader and of course the plug for that looks nothing like the one on the GT40.

Thanks,
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 10:10pm
It plugs straight in the the EEC tester connector above the relays.

89 Ski

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 9:42pm
Thanks! It's in my Amazon shopping cart! :-)
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 5:41am
Update had the boat out for four days over the Easter break. Put almost 20 hrs on the meter without the problem reoccurring. Looks like it was the EEC relay.

89 Ski

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 1:24pm
Lewy, would you mine weighing in here with the problem and fix:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis

I can add a new row in the spreadsheet for EEC Relay.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic