Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 Ski Nautique Project!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 Ski Nautique Project!
    Posted: February-13-2012 at 5:07pm
Alright guys...here is my thread that I had promised on Friday...it was after 4AM when we stopped workin on the boat, I hope you can forgive me lol.

Our project is a 1979 Ski Nautique. It has a good running 351 in it, recently rebuilt according to the PO. The stringers are completely rotten. The floor had separated from the actual hull on the left side of the boat. The observer seat did not come in the boat, but, we did get the brackets for it.

I dont have much time to post this today, but I at least wanted to get started and give you guys a little info. And please dont be mad about not having any pictures....I am taking really good pics with my Fiances really good camera, but every single one has to be resized because they are huge, gimme a little time and ill have some good pics up.

So, the jist of this thread is going to be myself and my cousin doing a restore on this boat. It is not going to be completely original. We are going to do a custom paint scheme most likely with a graphic decal down the sides.

I guess the first part of the restoration is going to be tackling the floor/stringers..which is what we are working on now. we got a good bit done this weekend in my opinion.

We pulled the motor friday night after work, which went good, but I couldnt get any pics because it was raining outside.

Saturday, we got a late start after lunch. We cut most of the floor out and got what i had thought was about 90% of the foam out...But i think i may have been wrong..Then sunday, we started late again and tore out a little more of the floor and foam.

we have pulled the ski pole out for now, not yet decided if it will go back in. We have pulled the steering cable out, the throttle and shifter cables are out also. The main motor wiring has been pulled also, it was in rough shape.

The next step we have is to start peeling the rotten stringers out 1 at a time to start replacing them. We have to make a trip for materials this week sometime, and we will be back at it this weekend. I will do my best to get some more pics up this week.

M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 5:07pm
Also, If anybody has any tips on re-sizing pics and loading them into a post..that would be most helpful..
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 5:25pm
I use www.shrinkpictures.com

Choose "custom" and enter 700 pixels wide.
Select "best" quality.
This is the very best sise, so others do not have to
scroll in order to view the entire photo.
newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 5:28pm
all i have been doing for the pics is opening them in paint, going to image / stretch and skew. then just changing to percentages. then in the click the image up load button on the forums tool bar.

Also, more power to ya for restoring the boat yourself. I recently started a thread regarding my 1986 sn that is at the shop getting to work done. I dont have the time or know how even though the people on this forum are extremely knowledgeable.

Good luck and keep us updated.
1986sn 2001
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 5:30pm
if you ski you are going to want to put that pole back in. Good Luck! Tear down goes alot faster than the install. Also make sure you support the hull when you remove the stringers. Whats your target completion date.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 7:10pm
Whats the current condition of the gel? I've seen many CC's painted and have formed the strong opinion that paint doesn't belong on top of gel.

Some have gotten away with it and made it work, but if you're going to all the work of bringing a boat back it deserves to have gel.
M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 7:23pm
Ahhh thanks for the tips guys, I will have some pics for y'all tonight when I get off work.

Our target completion is the beginning of June currently. I know it seems like only a little while, but there is two of us working on it, sometimes a 3rd person helping, and we have a good amount of free time to work on the boat. I know it may not be completely finished by then, but that is what were shooting for.

And as far as the pole goes, we have a tower now, but we aren't sure if we may want the pole as well..

The paint, we haven't put a lot of study into the paint/gel yet. But our current idea is to re-gel from the rub rail up, and just sand and smooth the bottom and do an acrylic paint job and some decals with several layers of clear over it all. The PO had re-painted the boat himself it seems like..it looks alot like house paint to be honest...so something has to be done about it..but we are still deciding on that..

First things first :p
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 7:49pm
I figured you had a tower lined up or that wouldnt have been an option. Trust me you do not want to ski off a tower. Not slalom anyway so I guess I figure why not put it back. You may not be into skiing now but you may pick it up. You have it, so I say you may regret it if it isnt in there. Plus think resale to, skiers want the pylon.

Also since you are going tower, you may want to think about how your are going to reinforce the mounts. The decks on these old boats werent designed for towers so beef up where they mount with some wood covered in fiberglass or something. Just a thought.

Also on the paint thing you can do whatever you think but you may want to consider a regel if its that bad. Remember good paint will cost you alot of money. The cheapest route is to try and bring back the old gel.
M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 8:21pm
Thanks for the tip..I suppose the pole goes back in:). An I'm gonna do some price checks on gel vs. paint and see what I can find..
M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2012 at 9:09pm
Quick question guys...what can I use as far as replacement foam?? I have heard that some people use the "great stuff" spray in foam..any opinions? I am going with a wood floor, but still like the idea of the foam being there..
M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 5:32am
As promised, here are a few pics..

Trailer axle that had to be repaired...more work on the trailer to come...several braces are rusted through..Not sure if we are even keeping this trailer or not yet, but we had to do this to even move the boat.

braces need help..

side view, notice the decal...I dont even know what the original color scheme was due to the PO's paintjob/decals..

Current seating arrangments....soon to be changed..

Dash Shot, Speedo's are for sale if anyone is interested..not sure if they work or not, the PO said they did, but we havent put it in the water, and we plan on going with GPS. Can get better pics if needed.

Whats left of the observer seat..we have all 4 of these..and two pieces of flat bar to go with it i assume?

Shifter knob

Step pads

Swim deck could use some lovin..

Small Chip in the prop...anybody reckon this will make a whole lot of difference in performance?

Hood scoop.

More pics to come, but I am tired tonight. The next set of pics will be of the progress we have made so far towards the stringer job..

Sorry about the watermarks...this was the easiest way to get my pics re-sized....thinkin pretty hard about just buying the program as it is very very quick and does as many pics as you want at one time..
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 9:40am
Originally posted by M_U_M_P M_U_M_P wrote:

Quick question guys...what can I use as far as replacement foam?? I have heard that some people use the "great stuff" spray in foam..any opinions? I am going with a wood floor, but still like the idea of the foam being there..

Nathan,
Stick with us and keep reading the threads on stringer jobs. Some have a material list that includes pour in foam from US composites. That is one way to go. I use Handi Foam which can be sprayed or injected.

I suggest getting away from whoever is telling you to use Great Stuff out of the can. Sorry but that is so "back yard shade tree"! . The single component out of the can is a moisture cure - not good for floatation! The pour foam and the Handi Foam are two component exothermic true closed cell foams. I prefer the injection since there is no waste. With pour, you always end up with too much that you need to cut off.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 12:21pm
petes right, I think you would also go bankrupt trying to do it out of the can. Not much volume in there. The pour in kind from uscomposites is the cheapest way to go. But he is right you have to keep shaving and sanding, so his method is probably best. That being said I just poured it in and shaved it off.
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 3:36pm
Mump, interested in the speedos, email me.

Noel
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 3:51pm
Alright guys, I actually did all of my reading yesterday on foam, and I found many good arguments on foam vs. no foam. I also found out about UScomposites! Which is gonna help me out alot with glassing stuff!

But what I have formed as an opinion is that I don't think I want foam anymore...one reason being that I do not plan on hitting a pile of rocks, and two, if I do manage to hit a pile of rocks, I don't plan on being anymore than mid-lake's distance away from the bank..

There are some other things, such as cost effectiveness...but who knows, that is a long way off from here, I might just find it in my heart to do foam as the project moves along..

And Pete, I do not see any relation to foam or backyard shade tree in your pic? Am I missing something?

Noel, I will go get some good pics right now and email them to ya.

M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 3:52pm
Edit*

I just noticed the box of handifoam in your pic Pete! I'm on my phone, so the pics are kinda small lol..
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 4:16pm
I think he was saying that using foam in a can was kind of a red neck repair job. I did not put foam back in mine either, well around the battery box and under the bow I did but no where else.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 8:55pm
Nathan,

And Pete, I do not see any relation to foam or backyard shade tree in your pic? Am I missing something?

I'm glad you noticed the Handi Foam picture. My comment on the "back yard shade tree" was totally towards using the great Stuff out of the cans. Pour foam is one way to go but I prefer injection. When injected, the foam will actually form a skin on the outside of the cavity it's injected into. Our member Roger over in England actually did some tests on water absorption with cut foam VS skinned injected foam. There was a noticeable difference.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 9:05pm

But what I have formed as an opinion is that I don't think I want foam anymore...one reason being that I do not plan on hitting a pile of rocks, and two, if I do manage to hit a pile of rocks, I don't plan on being anymore than mid-lake's distance away from the bank..

Nathan - I didn't plan on getting run over by another boat last summer, but it happened (in less than 10 seconds, BTW).

Your choice on foaming, just think of your passengers safety while making your decision.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 9:20pm
I havent read any on the injection, but I will look into that:).

I am still on the fence on the whole foam deal.

And SN, I'm not at all saying that accidents can't happen, I'm just saying that if something like that was to happen, I'm not sure I would be worrying about whether or not the boat is floating. I guess what I am trying to say is that it's kind of like putting full coverage on a 1973 Pontiac rust buckets...sure if you total it, they might give you 500$, but all that money you spent on insurance for the car costed you more than that. That may be a bad analogy, but it's all I've got lol..

Plus, I am planning on having full coverage on the boat in case something were to happen.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 9:59pm
Nathan - My point is that a semi-floating boat is something to hang onto while waiting for help to arrive.

Good luck on your project!

Ben Franklin
M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 10:19pm
I'm not trying come off as a smartass SN, so I hope you're no thinking that, I do appreciate all input. It will all go into consideration on whether I do foam or not..

Would it be okay to do say just from the battery box forward with foam for flotations sake, not neccesarily for structural support and then just have more cross members to the back? It seems like I have read some threads where they have done that..any opinions?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 12:19am
Nathan - Me either - it's hard to covey connotation over the internet!    About half of the guys are leaving the foam out during rebuild.

I am just sensitized to safety issues because of the accident we had.

There is some foam up under the bow deck that may be enough to float 'yur boat for a while, I think Pete suggested using the spray foam to add flotation up there too.

Ben Franklin
M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 12:25am
I agree, I have the same problem when texting my fiancé sometimes haha!

But I think that's what I will end up doing, sort of a meet in the middle..foam the front half. That won't break the bank, but will keep me afloat for a while lol.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I should have some actual teardown progress pics up tonight! So be sure to come back and check em out!
M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 6:48am
and here are the pics i said i would get...some of the progress we made on the first weekend..will be working on it some more this week, and this weekend for sure..

Motor pulled, couldnt get any live shots on that because of the rain...yeah, raining while pullin the motor..real special lol..

Pulled up the carpet and the plywood seat "patch" and found this hole...and a really weak surrounding floor.

Some of the floor up, and we found that most of the foam was quite dry, but there was water underneath almost throughout the whole boat.

First night of work, end result, we got a lot of foam out, but still a lot left in there.

we kept getting sidetracked by this..lol

This badboy was our breaktime spot to warm up..believe it or not, it was like 31 degrees down here saturday night..

Sunday night's end result, more floor up and a lot more foam removed..I guess this week's goal is to get the rest of the front pulled out.

left

left

right

right

As you can tell, the left side of the boat is a lot worse than the right side..

Thats about all the pics I have right now, but I will have many more come this weekend. And i know they all might seem a little boring to you guys, but they show progress for me.

Browse if you wish, comment if you want, and criticize where necessary haha. Have a good night everybody!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 10:15am
Nathan - You are on the right track! You're going to have an awesome boat when you are done.

I liked the JD posters in your rec room!

Ben Franklin
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 11:47am
Looking good Nathan and welcome to CCFan. Glad to see another CC being repaired and repaired right. No one said anything on your prop picture but if your going to the means to restore the boat to her glory then send the prop to site sponsor Delta Props. For about $100 you'll get the prop overhauled. Just be sure to mention you're a member here to get a discount.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

No one said anything on your prop picture but if your going to the means to restore the boat to her glory then send the prop to site sponsor Delta Props. For about $100 you'll get the prop overhauled.

Im not sure I agree- thats like throwing good money after bad. I wouldnt bother repairing that prop... the cost of the repair would exceed the prop's value. If money is really tight, then I'd run it as-is. If the budget allows, then put the repair money towards a new prop that will make the boat perform better in every way... and keep this one around as a spare.
M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 9:52pm
Thanks SN, that's actually my dads barn, he was nice enough to let us use it as long as we keep a clean workspace at the end of the day.

And I appreciate the info on the prop guys, I hope it wont be a major factor, but I will definitely put it on the next season list of to-do's.
M_U_M_P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M_U_M_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2012 at 10:07pm
More progress this past weekend! Pics are comin tonight! Got the stringers glasses in, almost ready to start on the floor here in the next weekend or so.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic