Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What would it cost to finish restoring this boat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What would it cost to finish restoring this boat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would it cost to finish restoring this boat
    Posted: February-14-2012 at 4:18am
I have my eye on this 1996. What is it worth?
Seller advertises this V-drive is a Ski Nautique. http://texas.findanyboat.com/boats/1996-ski-nautique-super-sport-252-low-low-hrs-restoration.html
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 9:53am
I noticed that on PN, it would really depend on wheather or not he has the parts.   If he doesn't, I would be a little concerned about what happened to them. That's not old enough to need a restoration, a good cleaning maybe. They have had some flash floods in that area 3 or 4 that I can remember since the boat was new, some history would be nice and a very good inspection would be a must.
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 10:16am
For one, it doesn't have a windshield. I imagine all (?) Super Sports had a tower and this does not. Maybe a tree fell on it?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 12:45pm
No it would not have had a tower from the factory. I saw this too on PN and was wondering it's story. I'm on Don's side...it would take some serious looking into before I pulled the trigger. Hull looks clean though. I do see a little black scuff he failed to mention on the starboard side. Makes me wonder what else he feels like leaving out..Just my 2 cents
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 2:39pm
The SuperSport did not have a tower initially. This one in question is a true SS as it still has the center pylon. In those early years when towers came available they were options until the Super Air then they were standard. I too would question the windshield and scrutinize the craft because of the mentioned location of the boat and the local flooding.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 3:37pm
Seems like a lot. I bought mine for that and its 99.5% complete (missing center stern/bow cushions) and with a tower and 501hrs w/GT40 engine.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2012 at 5:28pm
One of those towers costs a fortune. I bet a replacement for the windshield might set you back some too. Probably ought to call the guy and find out the history. Has anyone ever done a BoatFax report? Are they any good?
C-Rob

2000 SAN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Seems like a lot. I bought mine for that and its 99.5% complete (missing center stern/bow cushions) and with a tower and 501hrs w/GT40 engine.

Stop rubbing it in!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 1:10pm
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2012 at 4:08pm
Interesting, my buddy was looking for a Sport last year, and we found a couple worth looking at down in TX. Got to chatting with one of the dealers/brokers down there and he was saying how in his mind, the Nautiques are far and above all the other ski/tow boats out there. Naturally, I inquired as to why he thought that. He said they perform best in the dam tests (I of course hear damn test). What the hell is a dam test, I questioned. Apparently on a fairly regular basis, they have floods and inevitably a number of ski boats break away from their mooring/dock/lifts and start floating down river and eventually end up going over one or more dams. On a very consistent basis, the cost to repair the nautiques is significantly cheaper then Malibu, Mastercraft and the others.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, not sure if its relevant here, but an interesting comment from a guy down that way who is in the business...
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 12:13am
Joe, here is one to check out:

Air Nautique
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 1:10am
Thanks.

But a quick search found this 2000 AIRfor the same price. Too much$$$ for me.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 6:53pm
If the windshield is gone, it leaves me to assume that the boat smashed the celing of a boat house in a flood.

However, I have no knowledge of this boat.

Donald
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 8:38pm
Here's the link to the PN site with a lot more pics.

This looks a lot like a boat that was torn down to give it a good clean up I wonder if it's the same boat? I looked on PN but I couldn't find the thread regarding the tear down so I can't say if it's the same boat.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 9:14pm
If a flood caused it to hit the roof in the lift and then the interior pieces floated away while it was partially sunk it would look the same. The interior looks original so why would you have cushions missing?

There was a youtube link to the last flood and you could watch the boats flowing by in the current.   There are 3 or 4 small lakes northeast of San Antonio, this happens every few years.   It's a little different from what people think that aren't around here, the water rises and moves, it happens so quick that you can't move everything out of the way if you aren't there, then it's gone.   We had a 19 inch rain a few years back, I have talked to people down there who have seen 30 inch daily totals more than once.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2012 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

Joe, here is one to check out:

Air Nautique

I noticed that one. 16k seems like a great price for either of those Air Nautiques. I don't know if prices are coming down or what, but wow.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 4:41am
How about these. They need to be test driven first.
1) 1998 AIR

2) PRO AIR

3) '98 AIR NEW TRANNY

4) 1999 PRO AIR

5) 1999 PRO AIR APEX

6) '95 SANGER

7) 1998 SANGER V210

8) 1997 SUPER SPORT I think I can get this guy down to about $12,750

9) 2000 AIR

No replies from above sellers. ALL over my budget unless they will come down. No talky, no buyeee
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2012 at 7:48am
Some comments from looking at the links:

1998 Air - this has closed cooling so will probably have been used in salt at some point, not a problem for the engine with the closed cooling but you would need to check the condition of everything else and the maintenance history, good price and looks very clean in the 1 pic.

Pro Air - looks very nice but difficult to see from the limited pics.

1999 Pro Air - I think its sold and the new owner posted about the amount of work required !! lots!

98 Air new tranny - Why was a new tranny needed? more information required for this one, the comment "GREAT FOR GOOFY WAKESKATING RIDERS BECAUSE OF REVERSE PROP ROTATION" confused me as a goofy rider !!!

1999 pro air apex - Looks very nice from the comprehensive pics and very clean - sold

95 Sanger - Not sure

98 Sanger V210 - 18k has you budget gone up? A quick search on google gave some very high praise for the V210 and the wake looks massive from the limited searching. Same hull from 95-now on the v210. I am sure you can get a very nice CorrectCraft for 18k though

1997 Super Sport - Looks a very strong possibility nice :) great hull and a good price, go investigate further.

2000 Air - top end of budget? but a great looking boat, although more pictures and more info would be needed.

Buying a boat from ebay auction is always a difficult one as its a lot of money to throw at something without actually inspecting and you never know if the pictures and description is 100% accurate, are the pictures new or where they taken 2 years ago? Not my preferred option unless its close enough to inspect and water test before the auction ends, different if its a buy it now I suppose. If its close enough to inspect then ok otherwise stay clear unless its a £200 project boat
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2012 at 8:40pm
Here is the way I figure repairing a boat goes,
Get a decent budget in mind
Then double it and then
add the original budget back to it
bx2b+b=almost fixed boat
Mike
Lakedog55
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2012 at 10:15pm
+1 on the formula.
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 12:09am
I gave up on the fixer upper since I have found better value boats down in this thread to comment on.

No formula needed, thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic