NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Covers with a Tower

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Covers with a Tower
    Posted: February-18-2012 at 9:59am
I ordered my new Sunbrella cover without tower cutouts to get them in the right spot. The original cover that came with the boat had the cutouts fairly close but the main problem was that the perimeter rope did not go through the cover and hold it tight to the boat between the front and back tower legs. I think it was a Westland cover also. Anyone have pictures of covers on boats that may give me some alternatives. I found this system on a cover made locally in Australia that looks to be a good solution.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2012 at 10:23am
That's probably your best solution. that's how my cover is. I'll try and snap some pics for you.
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2012 at 10:58am
That looks like it would leak. My fabric goes up the tower 4-5 " and wraps around.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 10:51am
I agree with the leaking. All the tower covers I've had go up the tower legs. If you're worried about the fit, I would think that you would certainly be worried about leaking. The covers for towers usually have a velcro section between the tower legs to allow the rope to be tied then the whole section velcros over the rope. Keep in mind that if you order a cover with the rope threaded through the entire perimeter, then your canvas guys with have do either modify that part of the cover or the rope will not hold that part of the cover down. I know there seems to be a lot of worry about ordering covers for towers, but I don't feel that it warranted. Most towers are mounted really close to the same position, even if it was installed by the dealer or the owner.

Keep your eyes open on ebay, I just picked up a Subrella cover for my 206 for $150 with free shipping (not to OZ though). It is a Carver cover from Covers Direct. I guess they are clearing off their shelves right now. I tried it on the boat yesterday and it fits great. I didn't really need a cover yet, but for the price, I'm glad to sit it on the shelf for a couple of years.
bhectus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhectus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 11:18am
Here's a pic of mine. It was in really rough shape when I got the boat. I had a local canvas shop patch it and re-waterproof it. Much cheaper than buying a new one. It's still not perfect but i was only out of pocket $300 this way. The waterproofing was $100 in itself. They used an entire gallon of 303 on it!

'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 9:07pm
Brett is there a zipper at the tower legs on that cover? Would it be possible to get a close up picture of that setup and also of how the cover wraps around the tower legs. Nice colour match of the cover to the gel.

John I picked a new Sunbrella cover from NautiqueSkins with the 25% discount to CCfans. Waterproof is not that big of an issue but it would be nice. More important is ease to get on and off plus fit for trailering.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2012 at 11:45pm
Gotcha. I picked up one of those Westland's through NautiqueSkins also.
That one is on my '72 Promo SN. I was searching for a cover for that boat when the one for the 206 crossed my path. I couldn't resist the price. I paid more than twice for the '72.

I see that Bret does have the modifications that go up the tower base. I also see that extra tie down. It's making more sense now.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic