NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Head gasket direction question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head gasket direction question
    Posted: February-19-2012 at 10:31pm
My GT40 heads suffered from water jacket external cracks. One leaked under warranty and the local CC dealer replaced the leaking head. The other one started leaking a few years ago and I'm in the middle of replacing both heads with GT40P heads. I pulled the port head off first (the one leaking), and the front end of the gasket has two water galleys plugged (and the gasket says front and is pointing to the front). However, when I then pulled the starboard head that the local CC shop replaced previously, the gasket is backwards (meaning the blocked water galleys are at the rear. SKIDIM says that the front should be blocked off on both heads. I already put the new port head on with the gasket label pointing to the front. I want to confirm that on both heads the front side is where the channels are supposed to be blocked by the gasket (as per SKIDIM and the label on the gasket) before I put the new starboard head on. Assuming SKIDIM is right (and the local CC dealer messed up when they did the previous replacement), how did that affect the water flow?

I've got tomorrow off and would love to get the second head on and start working on valve pretention adjustments. So input is greatly appreciated.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2012 at 2:31am
I can't say for sure how it's supposed to be but mine were the way you described, one blocked in the from one in the back. Also the gaskets I ordered definitely had a top and a bottom and so I assumed that the design and the way they were before the water passages were blocked on different sides. For both water channels to be blocked in either the from or back one of the gaskets would have had to have been upside down, but maybe that is correct
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2012 at 4:42am
Weird. SkiIM says this:

GSKT CYLINDER HEAD FORD 302/351 EACH
Same gasket for either head but one side must be flipped over for proper installation. Make sure to have "front" marking pointed forward. When properly installed, both tabs will be at the front of the block!

So you are right, to do it the way they described, one has to be flipped. What I did notice this evening while cleaning the intake manifold surface where it bolts to the heads is that even though the intake manifold has an opening for a water galley in the rear, the intake manifold does not have a water galley in the rear, only in the front (from the thermostat body and it then goes through the front of the gasket into the head.

Anyone else have any suggestions before I torque down the heads (just sitting on top of the block at the moment). Easy enough to flip a gasket if I need to (right now the blocked side is to the front on both heads (per SKIDIM's note).
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 1:53am
Okay, no-one else piped up, so I went to PCM. According to them, the port side head is supposed to be blocked at the front, and the starboard head is supposed to be blocked at the rear. So the way it was on my boat as well as what Justin saw on his boat is correct (and SKIDIM is incorrect).
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 11:09am
maybe both are acceptable? Who knows. Ill look through some of my books tonight and see if I can logically look and see how the water flows. I also put a email into skidim as to why they felt that was the right way.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 1:10pm
So did I. :-)   Only thing I can think of is that the GT40 requires it for some reason. I only asked PCM about a stock GT40, not a stock 351. At least I finally got some direction so was able to torque down the heads last night. :-)

Justin, by the way, what did you use to scribe marks on the push rods while setting your preload? And did you need to use shims on all of them? Thanks.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2012 at 1:24pm
yes mostly all. I used a straight edge and a razor blade laying flat on the straight edge. I ran it back and forth to make the mark. Then I took the torque off the bolts and repeated, then checked the difference between the marks. You could use a caliper or feeler gauge. Then shim accordingly.

I used alans advice. I set the crank on 0 and did piston 1. Then, I rotated in 90 degree increments and followed the firing order of the pistons.

If the mark does not move you may need a longer pushrod.

I hope skidim does not have a compelling arguement because I am buttoned up and dont want to take the intake back off, etc etc.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2012 at 8:51pm
I don't know that engine, but the heads are typically identical only turned 180 degrees.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2012 at 9:18pm
Well, it is getting more and more cloudy.

Both my head and Justins's had the port side gasket forward, and the starboard side facing the rear. I called the former West Coast Correct Craft on Monday; they weren't sure, so they called PCM and were told that this is correct (port forward, starboard rearward). In the meantime I had sent a message to PCM directly, and I got a reply yesterday that wasn't too clear. I asked for clarification, and the message I got today said both should be facing the front. So now I have two different answers from PCM. I just emailed back and asked for an official statement (maybe something out of a manual or something that definitively states what the orientation should be. I'm hoping that it is port forward/starboard rearward since Justin has already done it that way, and although I haven't gotten to rocker arm preload adjustments, I have torqued the heads. Now I have to wait some more to get the final official word. Sheesh, this is taking a long time to get a straight answer.....   

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2012 at 11:02pm
OK Straight answer coming up...unofficial of course, but you are getting bad information, place the gaskets on the block so the imprint that says FRONT is facing wait for it.... the FRONT. Yes one appears upside down but that is correct. I can't explain why but greater minds than mine designed it.   I've personally put together 3- 351 based engines this way and they are all still running with no overheat problems. This issue has been discussed here in detail over the years and all place front to front so have faith brotha.

There is also no difference in the short block of a 351 or a GT40, main difference being the heads and induction system.

You're doing fine Gordon, relax and finish assembling that thing. Don't overthink the rocker shims eiher.

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 11:29am
yup, gordon my starboard head is coming off and Im gonna flip. Oy, well, I am an expert now right, haha. I talked to skidim yesterday and I trust their official answer over pcm honestly. They know these engines.

Its no big deal to untorque and flip, it will take a half hour tops, my intake manifold was on and torqued as well. Oh well thats called doing stuff yourself, if thats the worst mistake I make then hooray!! Obviously the other way may work but it most not be optimal. I dont want any issues when it comes time to ski.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 12:06pm
Looks like Alan and skidim agree, and I'd be listening to Alan.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 2:20pm
I dont even think you got two different answers from PCM, you got one from pcm and the other from the dealer that did it wrong and told you that they asked PCM and PCM backed them up.

Either way pcm didnt put those gaskets on originally anyway.. ford did and front meant front, and still means front.

Good info as usual from Alan, Skidim, and direct from PCM...

Questionable info on engine assembly from the dealer... not so surprising, it is not exactly thier bread and butter.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 2:47pm
The dealer I called was not the one who replaced my starboard head under warranty; it was the old west coast distributor of CC, and they are the ones who called PCM and got the wrong answer. I also did get an email back from PCM today that essentially said that if it was backwards, it's Ford's fault, but again said that both should be front as SKIDIM says (funny SKIDIM knows more about it than PCM, which says a lot about SKIDIM, and not so much about PCM). Anyway, I'm following your and SKIDIM's advise and the starboard gasket will get flipped to the front tonight or tomorrow night, followed by rocker arm preload adjustments and putting as much as I can back together over the weekend (won't complete it since my boss is flying into town Sunday). A very long process when you haven't done it before and only have a couple of hours at a time to work on it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by slmskrs slmskrs wrote:

(funny SKIDIM knows more about it than PCM, which says a lot about SKIDIM, and not so much about PCM)

In PCM's defense, you should keep in mind that, like Joe said, they never installed the heads in the first place (Ford did), and they havent sold a Ford engine in 10 years. SkiDIM's bread and butter is maintaining and repairing old ski boats- so I would expect them to know which way is correct off the top of their head. Their tech advice is generally very good.

If you wanted to go to the source for an answer, you could have called Ford directly. If you could have gotten in touch with someone who remembers how a Windsor engine is put together, I imagine they would have told you to read what it says on the gaskets though.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:21pm
What would be interesting to hear, is the rationale for the blocked passages.

I'm wondering if it's anything like the exhaust riser gasket blocked passage reasoning?
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:22pm
I may be wrong but didn't Vince of Skidim come from PCM? There's a fair bit of good free knowledge when you call skidim/DIM
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:42am
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

yup, gordon my starboard head is coming off and Im gonna flip. Oy, well, I am an expert now right, haha. I talked to skidim yesterday and I trust their official answer over pcm honestly. They know these engines.

Its no big deal to untorque and flip, it will take a half hour tops, my intake manifold was on and torqued as well. Oh well thats called doing stuff yourself, if thats the worst mistake I make then hooray!! Obviously the other way may work but it most not be optimal. I dont want any issues when it comes time to ski.

Hey Justin,

I hear you (I'm trying to get my boat back on the water ASAP since I ski year around--having to buy rides the last two weeks). I just pulled the starboard head, flipped the gasket, and re-torqued this evening.

Before you did your preload measurements, did you pull and clean the valve lifters? If so, how'd you clean them? Did you put them in oil to "fill" them up before reinstalling?

Did you follow the CompCam instructions (top of compression stroke, wait a few minutes for the lifters to bleed down, then back off the rocker, wait for the lifter to settle, then measure?

You mentioned that you used shims for most of the rockers. Where'd you order them? I went to the local auto parts store (with machine shop, etc.), and they had no idea where to get shims, etc. I suspect they just want me to buy pushrods, but it seems that shims will be much faster, etc.

By the way, where did you get your heads? I got them from Clearwater, and am curious what thickness shims you ended up using on most of them.

Would it be possible to email you off line or possibly even schedule a quick call? I'd love to talk to you since you've just completed this and I can hopefully get this done!   gordon.jensen@comcast.net

Let me know.

Thanks,
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 10:56am
Shim kit for $8.95 at Summit Racing

How much you need to shim each rocker is going vary based on the original manufacturing tolerances of the casting, how much material was taken off the valve seat, and how much the head surface was cut down. Do not expect to "borrow" anyone else's measurements just because they got their heads from the same rebuilder.

Follow Comp's procedure and you'll be fine.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 11:46am
tim is right thats what I did, I didnt have to use 2 shims on any so between .030 and .060.

I just sprayed the lifters and wiped them off, didnt really clean, didnt soak in oil. I did not get my heads from clearwater.

Also just because I did it doesnt mean its right, my first time too. Also mine is back in and running yet so jury is still out.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 3:47pm
Tim, thanks for the shim URL. Ordered and will be here Tuesday. And Tim and Justin, I know I have to measure mine and shim accordingly; just looking for some baselines of what to expect (Justin, thanks for the above). I can't get it done this weekend (boss coming into town so no time, so the shims are 2nd day air rather than Sat. delivery), but I hope to have everything done next Saturday. Tomorrow will be cleaning (not disassembling) the lifters, putting in the pushrods, and measuring everything to get ready for the shims.

So Justin, are you planning on getting it buttoned up and tested/in the water in the next week? I'd love to hear if everything went well (since I'm following in your footsteps and the same adjustment procedures, etc.). Please post when you are done and let us know!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 4:16pm
hahah I wish bro its still winter in ohio, probably be a month before I hit the water. Also I just hit a snag with my strut that may hold me up. If it wasnt 30 out right now I probably would try to have it in the water next weekend. You will probably beat me to that.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 3:17am
Bummer! We ski year around (usually 50s/60s), but we've had an unusually warm couple of days; just got back from an after work quick set and the air was in the low 70s (water mid 50s)! Skied well too! Where's a C class tourney when you need one?! I'll hopefully have it back in the water next weekend; I'll let you know how it works! :-)    Thanks for all your help!
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 7:06pm
Justin, just a heads up (no pun intended). A friend of mine this morning said that since I had already torqued down the starboard head with the gasket facing the rear, since I needed to change the orientation and the gasket had already been torqued, that I should probably get a new gasket. The auto parts place also suggested it (of course they are since they get to sell another gasket). But I don't want to risk it, so I bought a new one. I was able to get just one Feltpro head gasket (as opposed to two, or a whole gasket kit). It was $22, but cheap peace of mind. Just thought I'd mention it if you hadn't pulled and swapped yours yet (or maybe you did use a new one).
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 10:00pm
uh I actually had an extra laying around but it was a cheap one so I reused the old think it will be ok. We will see I guess, I oiled the bolts this time so It probably torqued down a little tighter.. I did it this afternoon.
crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 1:29pm
Gordon, it's been a while since I put on a marine head but I remember it being a special stainless steel head gasket for the marine environment. Are the felpros you get at the car parts place suitable for a boat engine?

If you only run in fresh water do you even need marine head gaskets?
C-Rob

2000 SAN
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 6:22pm
i have heard that if you are running in fresh water you dont need the marine gaskets. I got them anyway. Because they had the metal pieces i felt ok about retorquing them. I mean if you think about it I dont see why fresh lake water would be any worse than antifreeze.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2012 at 7:38pm
I agree,I ran regular Fel-pro for years with no problems.In the case of the older motors like mine do you think Ford,who most likely put the basic block together used special gaskets? Heck they didn't even put marine carbs,distributors or starters on them either!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 4:26am
I have my doubts that Ford put special ones on, especially since they apparently put mine on backwards as well. I only run in fresh water, so I'm not concerned.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I agree,I ran regular Fel-pro for years with no problems.In the case of the older motors like mine do you think Ford,who most likely put the basic block together used special gaskets? Heck they didn't even put marine carbs,distributors or starters on them either!

Yup!! In that era, the basic block came in and the "marinization" was bolting on the exhaust manifolds!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic