NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SJRR 2012 Hontoon Island

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pallmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pallmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SJRR 2012 Hontoon Island
    Posted: February-20-2012 at 2:53pm
Since we live so close, Lil' Sue and I took an advanced scouting trip to Hontoon Island in preparation for the Parramores to Hontoon SJRR river trip. We took some pictures but forgot to put the flash card in the camera so we have nothing to post.

Hontoon Island is only accessible by water. We drove there and took a small electric ferry across the river to the island. The ferry and entrance to the park are free but they do accept donations. If you come by boat, which we will be doing, you can pull right up to the dock. The dock will hold 40 boats and the Wednesday we were there, only three boats were tied up so space should not be a problem. Dock use is also free unless you stay over night or connect up to water and electric. The ranger station is right at the dock along with bathroom facilities. A covered picnic area and playground is a little walk to the east. There is a one room nature center, a small gift shop (which was closed) and a soda machine. Didn't see any food for sale.

We spoke to the same park ranger that Boat Dr. called and a few other rangers too. Open alcohol is not allowed in the park but is allowed on the boats and on the dock. All in all the rangers were very easy going and accommodating. There is a large charcoal grill at the end of the dock that we can use. No swimming allowed and the large alligator sunning itself on the opposite side of the dock demonstrated why. The park ranger said the alligators are shy of people but will attack any dog that gets close.

There is a marina selling gas across the river from the island and Lake Beresford where you can go waterskiing is only 500 or so yards away. According to a St.John's river mileage chart I got from the Ranger, it is 20.3 miles from the Hontoon Island to the Astor bridge and according to google, about another 1.5 miles to Parramores.

It takes nine miles to circle the island but there are no places to beach the boats. There are a bunch of hiking trails on the interior of the island accessible from the dock. Anything else you want to know just ask.

If I find the time, Lil Sue and I may make a test trip from Parramores to Hontoon to see how long the 22 mile trip will take. It is tough to estimate without knowing how many and how long are the no wake zones we have to pass through.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2012 at 4:50pm
Thanks go out to Lil Sue and Ralph for making our life a bit easier. The advanced scouting trip will answer a few questions about our destination and the rules and regulations that go with a SJRR event........Again thanks to Ralph and Lil Sue....Billy
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:52pm
Okay so using my antique Garmin GPS IV mapsource program I used the measuring function and mapped out the distance from Parramores to Hontoon Island via the St. Johns and its about a 25 mile run. Factor in at least 4 no wake/idle zones so I figure it will take about an hour to get there. Although a marina is close by once we get there, I'd sure your CC's and coolers are topped off before you leave. Those of you riding with Joe will be there in less than 30 mins.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 6:34pm
Thanks go out to all that help with the small stuff that makes this event "Top Notch"... Those on the fence need to sign up or "Stay Home"

LESS THAN 30 DAYS
GatorSkis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GatorSkis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 1:42am
Just joined forum today. Amazing I found a boat run so soon and so close to home, super stoked!
Where do I sign up? Looking forward to giving my 90 cb SN a good run!
Joel near Gainesville
Joel
Ski Ya Later Alligator!
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 1:44am
just a couple weeks late. it wont be long and ill start another thread called     " SJRR 2013" sign up there we would love to have ya
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
GatorSkis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GatorSkis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 2:06am
Ohhh stink! Thanks for reply. 2011 pics looked like a blast.
There is a annual river run for "speed" boats on SJ in Palatka a little from a month
From now. I know of a handful of SN owners attending. I'll add website link to new thread.
This is the coolest site on the www!
Joel
Ski Ya Later Alligator!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic